Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 05-09-23, 03:09 PM
Piper J3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selling the bike sounds pretty drastic... I bought a Trek 8.5 DS ten years ago when I retired. I didn’t ride it as much as I thought I would, so last year I converted it to eBike with Tongsheng TSDZ2B with Open Source Firmware. It’s the perfect bike… I put 1300 miles on it last year at 70 years of age. I raised handlebar and brought it backward so posture is more vertical. I also added an Aaron Suspension Seat Post and a Serfas Gel Saddle. I like the steering geometry on this bike – very straight-line stable.

This forum won’t allow me to post photos or use private mssg because I don’t have requisite number of 10 posts. Whatever….
Old 05-09-23, 03:53 PM
Robfnq

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or get on to a
Originally Posted by Piper J3
Selling the bike sounds pretty drastic... I bought a Trek 8.5 DS ten years ago when I retired. I didn’t ride it as much as I thought I would, so last year I converted it to eBike with Tongsheng TSDZ2B with Open Source Firmware. It’s the perfect bike… I put 1300 miles on it last year at 70 years of age. I raised handlebar and brought it backward so posture is more vertical. I also added an Aaron Suspension Seat Post and a Serfas Gel Saddle. I like the steering geometry on this bike – very straight-line stable.

This forum won’t allow me to post photos or use private mssg because I don’t have requisite number of 10 posts. Whatever….
wow, to be honest, I didn’t know you could do that much to these bikes ! Sounds like I need to do more research or get on to a good bike shop to see what’s possible. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-09-23, 04:27 PM
Piper J3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shame we can't both pvt mssg. Neither of us has 10 posts in this forum. Dumb forum rules. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, I could talk you through conversion. The TSDZ2B conversion with high-quality battery ~ $1000. Makes Trek DS a real nice eBike with no compromises....
Old 05-14-23, 07:32 PM
XXXXXXXXXIII

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robfnq
Hi, I’m new to this forum and hoping for some advice from DS owners. I have the DS3, it’s a 2019 model and has the 700 x 38 tires standard. Originally, I bought the bike primarily to commute to work, so bike paths mainly, a little gravel , nothing too rough. Now, I don’t do the commute and using the bike more gravelly and some more bumpy tracks. The bike is still in excellent condition overall, but I feel it would be best with some bigger tires to handle these conditions. Would I be better off putting on new tires , if so what max size without having any issues ? Or, am I better off selling and changing to a more mountain bike style, like Trek Marlin for example ? Thanks
Even with max tire size is at 700x45c, it's still a far cry from MTB tires. It really comes down to how you want to use it, on gravel DS is arguably better than a MTB, but on MTB trails you definitely want a proper MTB.
Old 09-25-23, 08:04 PM
BosPete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just found this DS forum. Looks like it’s a good resource for DS owners. Have had my DS2 since 2018. Been riding road and gravel for a change of pace from my weekly mountain biking.
Now I am looking to upgrade some components. I’ve upgraded my tires to Teravail Washburn 700 x 38. Really helps with grip on gravel trails but still quick on the road.
I find that the front fork does not do much to suck up the bumps so looking to the Rock Shox Paragon Gold RL Solo Air A1 that others have talk about. Any one have experience with this fork? Does it change the geometry much? How does it preform compared to the stock shock (SR Suntour NEX coil spring]?
Old 10-05-23, 02:48 AM
poiuyt

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BosPete
Just found this DS forum. Looks like it’s a good resource for DS owners. Have had my DS2 since 2018. Been riding road and gravel for a change of pace from my weekly mountain biking.
Now I am looking to upgrade some components. I’ve upgraded my tires to Teravail Washburn 700 x 38. Really helps with grip on gravel trails but still quick on the road.
I find that the front fork does not do much to suck up the bumps so looking to the Rock Shox Paragon Gold RL Solo Air A1 that others have talk about. Any one have experience with this fork? Does it change the geometry much? How does it preform compared to the stock shock (SR Suntour NEX coil spring]?
I upgraded my DS3 2020 with the Paragon Gold. It's definitely a major upgrade: almost 1kg lighter and much more responsive, and because it's an air-sprung fork, you can tune it better to your weight (maintenance requirements are higher though...). About the geometry change, it's in practice insignificant.
Old 10-05-23, 08:37 AM
BosPete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poiuyt
I upgraded my DS3 2020 with the Paragon Gold. It's definitely a major upgrade: almost 1kg lighter and much more responsive, and because it's an air-sprung fork, you can tune it better to your weight (maintenance requirements are higher though...). About the geometry change, it's in practice insignificant.

sounds like it will be worth upgrading. Thanks for the info
Old 01-13-24, 09:57 AM
BosPete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DS 2 2018 Head tube size

Any one know what the head tube size of the frame on a 2018 DS2? I know the NEX fork on it has a 1 1/8 steer tube, but wondering if the head tube might be 1 1/2 with some head reducers in it?
Lots of good deals on gravel forks but the one I want (fox 32) only comes in 1 1/2 inch
Old 01-13-24, 05:50 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 567 Posts
I'm almost certain it does not have a tapered head tube, even spaced back to a straight 1-1/8" steer tube. Do you have access to the bike? It shouldn't be difficult to loosen the top bolt just enough to loosen the fork in the head tube, slide it down a bit, and have a look at the lower bearing. If you don't have access to the bike...I'm almost certain it's not tapered.
Old 01-15-24, 05:26 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by BosPete
Any one know what the head tube size of the frame on a 2018 DS2? I know the NEX fork on it has a 1 1/8 steer tube, but wondering if the head tube might be 1 1/2 with some head reducers in it?
Lots of good deals on gravel forks but the one I want (fox 32) only comes in 1 1/2 inch
Hokeyfyd is correct, it's straight tube: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../ds-2/p/17306/

You can install a headset lower extender, think 10mm to install a tapered fork such as these:

Woodman extender

WorlfTooth Lower Headset

There are also straight tube air forks available:

RockShox Paragon

Suntour Air Fork's for Hybrids. Think these are what Canyon bikes use.