Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Time Trial bike setup for one arm

Old 01-04-18, 01:00 AM
1handrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time Trial bike setup for one arm

Hi,
well i just completed the 2018 para-cycling ITT on a TT bike without the TT bars, as i couldn't grasp the bar correctly with my right hand. It was a tough ride...

Unfortunately, my right hand lost its grip so I needed to stop quickly and re-adjust it. Also fiddling with my seat height last week I didn't tighten the seat pole clamp tight enough(careless)....the seat slid down about 2 inches and my legs didn't get to extend naturally. After about 7km I got stomach cramps, which I have never experienced before. Taking all these factors into account, I did OK.. live and learn..

My left arm/hand has full use, but my right arm has very limited movement and limited grasp in certain positions. i.e. I cannot grasp a standard TT bar with my right arm, my restricted shoulder movement doesn't allow it.

Im eager to really get into time trials and am after some advice on a setup i could use.

Anyway, has anybody got any ideas on TT bike configurations for me?

thanks,

Fult.
Old 01-04-18, 05:43 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
It isn't really clear from your explanation what you can or cannot do with your right arm, specifically your right shoulder. If you can place your right arm in the elbow pad of an aero bar, it seems like a fairly easy solution. If you can't you'll have to spell out what you can do with that arm for anyone to suggest what you can do with it.
Old 01-04-18, 11:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Time reduction is gained by your power and lowest air resistance , hence the bending way over low..

the bike stages of triathlons use more time trial gear than the market for time trials by clubs, [I'm guessing]

can you locate duplicates on your aero bars to shift and brake from there, ? one advantage the electronic shifting offers is multiple control buttons..

Magura has a new hydraulic closed system brake ,, for time trials, With a closed system you can use 2 levers on the same brake..
the lever in the middle has a supply hose where the bleed screw goes, so if the furthest lever is applied , the pressure just passes through it..
potentially you can also work both brakes from one lever...
[ I have their well tested V brake post mounted brake , it has 2 pistons , squeezing the rim from 1 lever..]

there are cable splitters and combiners, but they are less aerodynamically tidy. your mechanic may be able to reduce this drag..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-04-18 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 09:07 PM
1handrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,

My apologies for not explaining my disability in more detail, i guess i was a little frustrated at the time.

My right should rotation is restricted due to osteoarthritis.

I can get my right elbow to the level of the TT elbow cup, but my for arms cannot rotate clock-wise so that my knuckles are facing forward when gripping the TT handlebar.

I have a ABI injury, acquired from a car accident decades ago. I can do gross movements of my should and elbow. I cannot do pro nation or supra nation, without the assistance of my left hand.

I can grip, and need to relax hand in order to release.

fietsbob: DI2 will be my aim, but i first need to know whether i can ride a TT bike in the lowered position

Let me know whether you need more info, thanks

Fulton.
Old 01-07-18, 09:29 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by 1handrider
Hi guys,

My apologies for not explaining my disability in more detail, i guess i was a little frustrated at the time.

My right should rotation is restricted due to osteoarthritis.

I can get my right elbow to the level of the TT elbow cup, but my for arms cannot rotate clock-wise so that my knuckles are facing forward when gripping the TT handlebar.

I have a ABI injury, acquired from a car accident decades ago. I can do gross movements of my should and elbow. I cannot do pro nation or supra nation, without the assistance of my left hand.

I can grip, and need to relax hand in order to release.

fietsbob: DI2 will be my aim, but i first need to know whether i can ride a TT bike in the lowered position

Let me know whether you need more info, thanks

Fulton.
It sounds like what you need is a right side aero bar with an addition to give you a grip that suits where your hand can get to. One of the stubby, curved MTB bar ends clamped across the forward pointing aero bar can give you a horizontal left-to-right grip.

Alternately, you could use a third elbow cup to just rest the hand and wrist on, instead of expecting it to grip. That could also be accomplished by creating a long forearm cup that cradles your right forearm all the way to your palm.

All of this is going to be a lot easier if you have separate right/left aero bars that don't connect in the middle. That will give you full control of the adjustments to get the right arm where it is useful rather than forcing you to be symmetrical. I don't think it would be a problem to have the right elbow closer to your chest, for instance if that gives you more strength since the left will take care of keeping the bike pointed straight.

Your medical insurance and orthopedist may even assist you in creating a proper forearm rest out of the material used to make braces and removable casts.
Old 01-08-18, 07:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Does your shoulder have enough freedom to use cowhorn bars?

Otherwise, you might experiment with some sort of DIY asymmetrical arrangement, whereby you basically ride with the left arm, and provide a comfortable position so you can get some support and "helper" use out of the right arm.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.