Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Emotional Attachment to our Cars

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Emotional Attachment to our Cars

Old 08-28-18, 04:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Plus there's something kind of sad about an old guy in a vintage sports car.
How can you say that , what do you know about another persons state of mind and if they're happy or not ??...It's a hobby for many people and they just love and enjoy tinkering with old classic cars
Old 08-28-18, 04:33 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
All those things involve emotional attachment. If you can't enjoy life without a car, you are emotionally attached to having a car. It's that simple.
Yes, many, I would even go so far and say maybe even most people have an emotional "attachment to their cars"... or At least to what they seem to think a "car can do for them", in "saving them time" even purely for "practical reasons", like not waiting for the bus for 15 minutes to get anywhere, like not getting wet walking/biking, like not sweating, like taking others with them... You know, Practical reasons like that. I explained my theory about saving time if you own a car, it is a false assumption overall for most...

EDIT; What "actually" ends up happening, is you shift time, you spent less time traveling, but you need to spend more time working to spend less time traveling, to most it seems a fair exchange...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-28-18 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 04:39 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Yes, many, I would even go so far and say maybe even most people have an emotional "attachment to their cars"... or At least to what they seem to think a "car can do for them", in "saving them time" even purely for "practical reasons", like not waiting for the bus for 15 minutes to get anywhere, like not getting wet walking/biking, like not sweating, like taking others with them... You know, Practical reasons like that. I explained my theory about saving time if you own a car, it is a false assumption overall for most...
Those reasons may be practical at a certain level of population, but sprawl and congestion keep growing and making the automotive-consumer lifestyle more impractical the more people there are; and there are always more people. If there aren't, it leads you to wonder how the stresses of sprawl/congestion growth limits have to do with the birth and in-migration rate not exceeding the death and out-migration rate of an area.
Old 08-28-18, 04:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Maybe because some of those vehicles are fun to drive, enjoyable and practical at the same time. It's really no different then somebody who has 10 different bicycles.
But quite different for ascetics whose goal in life is to just get by with the bare minimum of everything or anything necessary for living at (but no better than) a subsistence level. Any lifestyle exceeding that level is considered by such "thinkers" to be both impractical and unnecessary and anyone else desiring such excess must allegedly be driven by emotions.
Old 08-28-18, 04:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
I'll wave to you from one of these, but I'll be hiding my face to avoid looking silly.

You could maintain your halo by adding a bumper sticker to tell everyone that your other vehicle is a bicycle and that you really are a Car Light Good Guy!
Old 08-28-18, 04:55 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
If you drove the Triumph the bumper sticker of "my other vehicle is a bicycle" would "fit right in" . If you drove the GTO it would look kind of strange. IMO You know, gas, tires & oil...
Old 08-28-18, 07:57 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Wonder if it's sad to see an old guy on a vintage bike.

People who clearly enjoy their vintage vehicles just make me smile.
Old 08-28-18, 08:00 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3941 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You could maintain your halo by adding a bumper sticker to tell everyone that your other vehicle is a bicycle and that you really are a Car Light Good Guy!
No, I think I can live with the contradiction for the few days I would hypothetically drive such a beast.
Old 08-29-18, 02:11 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
No, I think I can live with the contradiction for the few days I would hypothetically drive such a beast.
Here's a bicycle version of the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard. Is that a contradiction you can live with?
[image]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iL5P-T_VkIw/hqdefault.jpg[/image]

Last edited by tandempower; 08-29-18 at 02:17 PM.