Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2018 -- Century Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-17, 07:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
2018 -- Century Challenge

This is the thread for those who will not be able to complete the 2018 Century-A-Month challenge ... or those who want to do 1, 2 or a several centuries this year at whatever time works for them ... or those who complete their first century this year ...

The Century-A-Month challenge requires that a cyclist ride at least one century (100 miles) in each month of the year. But sometimes because of weather, accidents, or other commitments riding a century in each month of the year becomes impossible. And sometimes people get into cycling long distances partway through the year, but would like to join a challenge for motivation.

Even if we can't participate in the CAM challenge, it's nice to have a place to log our centuries (100-mile rides) throughout the year ... so here it is!

The challenge: Let's see how many centuries (100-mile rides), or longer rides, we can ride this year ... in any month of the year!!

Get ready ... get set ............... GO!!

See also this thread for Randonnees: https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...andonnees.html
Old 01-01-18, 06:37 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
I did a Century today, 100km in 5:52. the first 70 I averaged around 22km per hour, after that I was in Phnom Penh and made a few stops and struggled in traffic. I started my Strava late but my Mi fit gave me 100.49Km
Old 01-01-18, 06:44 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
I'm currently chasing a P-12 (100K/month) and have 3 consecutive months done. Hoping for a warmup sometime this month to get P-4 done. It is currently -9 F where I live (suburbs of Chicago). 10 day forecast doesn't show us going above freezing. I may need to drive south to find suitable riding conditions before the month ends.

When we are the warmer months, then the 100+ mile rides will resume. I did 6 in 2017 so hope to top that this year.
Old 01-31-18, 07:57 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
Did my Second 100Km today for Feb. a bit early but close enough.
Old 01-31-18, 09:03 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
I did a pair of 100K+ populaires this past weekend, Friday & Sunday. I have knocked out P-4. Now to obsess about the weather for February.
Old 01-31-18, 12:23 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a great challenge! I was not able to ride a century in January, but, I am planning a 300k in Feb, and double centuries in March and April.
Old 04-11-18, 04:39 PM
cyrmanj

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Epic HT and Langster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 124 miles on January, I am interested on staring the 2018 CAM but I havenīt done a century or more since January so I will try to schedule one every month from now on.

Anyways, the one I rode on January was a loop from my house in the central region of Costa Rica, Central America, to the Pacific coast and back to my house. This involved 12000 feet (3700 meters) of total elevation on 124 miles (200 kms.) The ride started with a progressive climb and then a big descent to the coast. Followed by some flat terrain and back to a nasty climb known as Monte del Aguacate (Avocado Mount in English, hehe.) That climb is only 6 miles but with an average gradient of 8% including tough ramps of over 15% and on top of that very hot weather. I was riding with a couple of friends and I started that climb hard then I bonked at the end like I have never done on that climb, it was embarrassing haha. From then on it was just a smooth ride back home on a hilly yet tolerable terrain.

Some #s since I canīt share strava links or pictures yet:
Distance 124.7 miles (200.68 kms)
Elevation 12158.8 feet (3706 meters)
Avg speed 14.8 mph (23.9 kph)
Moving time 8:23:34
Elapsed time: 10:10:14
I did it on my road bike, a Specialized Tarmac SL5

Be well!

Last edited by cyrmanj; 04-11-18 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-30-18, 11:29 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Only three centuries this year My excuse is putting some time into learning how to ride gravel - and I've found that on our local gravel routes, 60-80 miles will rip up your legs just as well as a 100 mile paved ride!

Anyway, my 2018 centuries:

#1, July 8: Gravel/paved combo. I met some friends for a 67 mile gravel ride with ~5000' elevation gain, rode to and from the ride, and did a bit of an extra loop on paved roads. As this was only my second long-ish gravel ride (ever), my legs were pretty shot, and the last few miles were actually somewhat painful.

Day total: 100.8 miles, 6,243'.

#2, July 22: Group century ride which started ~15 miles from home, plus the ride to and from the start. The century group (barely) met the goal of a six hour century; there were enough little rises and bumps to make maintaining a consistent paceline difficult. Still a good ride with great weather!

Day total: 132.7 miles, 4,308'.

#3, September 29: I'd mentioned to the women in the weekend group that we should try to do a century, and it finally happened! Late-season in the Upper Midwest US is tough: not much daylight, and unpredictable weather.

We set a date and a route, and the weather looked okay. The forecast was wrong: we were supposed to have highs in the mid-50s F with afternoon sun and light winds, and instead, got temperatures ranging from 40-46F, no sun, and moderate winds that shifted to keep us battling a headwind for most of the ride.

Still, a group of four started...and finished...the ride, including two first-time century riders. Everyone had appropriate attire, there were no mechanicals, and we had fun, despite the less than ideal weather conditions! Day total: 107.1 miles, 2,769'.
Old 10-02-18, 12:29 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I did my first 100km ride during my annual break from work. It was an event from the local randonneur club to introduce people to brevets (there was also a 200km brevet that day). It was my first time riding in this city (fortunately I had someone riding with me) and it was really fun, once the hardest parts were done, because the landscape was so different to my usual riding scenery (rural roads in central valleys vs. the arid desert I call home).

The ride started at 7:30am just before dawn and it was super chilly and windy, but it warmed up soon. There were a couple hard climbs (one I had to walk halfway) but once that was over the hardest part was staying on route because it kinda made some weird loops so a lot of riders ended up going the wrong way (I had loaded up the route on my Garmin and sometimes riders would follow us when they realized we had navigation lol). There was only one control point at the 75km mark, we stamped our cards, rest for a bit and moved on. Around this time I started feeling very uncomfortable as had horrible chafing (my shorts were a bit too loose) and my chest was wheezing (asthma?). But, we finished! Total time was 5:50hrs (limit time was 7hrs).

Overall I was very happy with the experience and could probably sign up for another one, but I don't think I'll jump for the 200km.