Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

wingless' Stupidbright SB3000 Headlight

Old 06-12-18, 07:44 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I have the Dinotte XML-3. It's been independently measured at 2000 lumens. It runs 100% (2000 lumens) 50% (1000 lumens) or 25% (500 lumens).
It's a fairly wide beam, originally designed for mountain biking.

I do aim it downward, so the main pool of light on the road is about 25-50 feet ahead. But part of the beam is above level.

I run it at 2000 lumens in the city, to compete with car headlights, and alternating bright and dim areas. Even though the beam is pretty wide, I've never had a car flash it's brights at me, or otherwise react. Even 2000 lumens appears to be about half of a car headlight.

The 2000 is way too bright on dark country roads after my eyes adapt -- the reflective street signs are extremely bright. I'll only go 2000 on faster downhills.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-12-18 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 12:25 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by angerdan
You're blinding car drivers even when you're running it at medium and moving the beam downwards. There's a reason why car headlights use reflectors for light distribution and beam shaping.
A good bicycle light with even 1500lm is this:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...nd-lights.html
Amen!

Now that bike lights are getting this powerful, awareness of this is critical. This is something we really need to encourage for all cyclist to adhere to before there's a need for legislation forcing us into some kind of legal code. The last thing cyclist need are more of the strong arm of the law interfering with our sport/recreation. Guys make sure we're not blinding anyone.
Old 10-19-18, 09:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Amen!

Now that bike lights are getting this powerful, awareness of this is critical. This is something we really need to encourage for all cyclist to adhere to before there's a need for legislation forcing us into some kind of legal code. The last thing cyclist need are more of the strong arm of the law interfering with our sport/recreation. Guys make sure we're not blinding anyone.
I don't know how to "encourage" people I see on the MUP to be more considerate. Sometimes I will cover my eyes with my arm as a gesturing message, but they probably don't "hear" me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-23-19, 11:05 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Thumbs up yes

Originally Posted by noglider
I don't know how to "encourage" people I see on the MUP to be more considerate. Sometimes I will cover my eyes with my arm as a gesturing message, but they probably don't "hear" me.
Well said @noglider ! Sorry this is so old didn't meant to resurrect a thread.

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 05-23-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 06:40 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
This morning I was very surprised when a vehicle cut me off, forcing me to grab two handfuls of brakes. This was the first instance since I installed my Stupid Bright headlamp.

When I stopped later I discovered why that happened. I had unplugged / removed my battery pack for recharging, but forgot to plug it back in after installation, so no blinky.

My ongoing opinion is that usage of a bright blinking headlight is a big plus for road safety.
My latest secondary roadway experience again revealed that daytime blinking is a huge safety advantage.

The bicycle was being operated during daytime on the straight, level, very low traffic secondary road. A vehicle arrived at an intersection ahead of me where they had a stop sign (I had no stop sign), it almost stopped, applied the gas, then brakes, screeching to a stop. If they didn't stop I would have needed to grab two fists full of brakes or we would have collided. We might have had a collision regardless.

Bright blinky again saved the day...