Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

A lesson learned about frame geometry

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 09:24 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Summer 2017 I found a mint 1995 RockHopper in a pawn shop for $100, hung up my '89 Schwinn Voyageur on the wall in the garage and set to riding this new bike, converting it into an all-round commuter/tourer. Raised the handlebar with an upright stem, Chris King headset, a set of NW Cycles 36 spoke Mt bike wheels I had, racks front and rear, 26" x 2.0" Marathon Plus Tours, BIke Nashbar 24-32-44 crankset, 12 - 34 eight speed cassete, wide fenders set high so as not to accumulate mud, rear kickstand.

The bike was harsh on my back tho so I installed a sprung Brook's Flyer saddle. Helped a bit. A harsh impact felt in my lower back while riding over rough flagstones back in May of this summer had me hobbling much of the summer with an attack of sciatica. I lowered the bar on the bike and continued to ride it. Ride still harsh enough on my lower back however that I began to doubt if I really wanted to tour on it.

I took my '89 Voyageur off of the wall, aired up the tires and rode it for the first time in a year and a half, realized immediately what the problem was with the RockHopper; besides the much more compliant and flexible frame on the Voyageur smoothing out the ride, the big problem is the location of the bottom bracket with respect to the seat. On the RockHopper, only a couple of inches different but forward in relation to the saddle. When sitting in the saddle on the RockHopper my feet were slightly forward and not directly under me, my legs not supporting my weight well unless I stood up on the pedals. On the Voyageur my feet were further back in relation to the saddle, actually supporting my weight.

Another thing that was a surprise was due to the 2" longer top tube on the RockHopper, my riding position on the Voyageur was actually more upright, an effect enhanced by the rear-set placement of the grips on the trekking bar I use on the Voyageur.

So..... now its the RockHopper that goes up on the garage wall indefinitely, I ain't a collector, likely at some point it will get gifted to someone who needs a good bicycle.

Prob'ly I shoulda comparison-rode the two bikes like 18 months ago

Last edited by Sharpshin; 11-21-18 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 02:18 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Have you tried setting the saddle all the way forward in the Rockhopper? If not enough range of motion, you could reverse the seat post to increase the forward position.
Old 11-22-18, 07:08 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Are you running a zero setback post on the hopper? That’s not gonna make up for a 2” longer top-tube, but just thought I’d mention it in case it might help you get some use out of the bike.
Old 11-22-18, 07:20 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
sharp, as the "TT" guy, we've chatted motorcycle stuff in the past, so you'll get this. As another old motorcyclist-this makes me think immediately of how Ive always had and preferred a more medium "sport bike" position , and even 35 years ago I used to look at Harleys and whatnot with the high bars and forward pegs and all I could think of was how it would put weight and pressure on the lower spine and keester.
Seat density and shape, but especially that balance of peg, bars position to counter wind on our body is key to long hours riding.
With bicycles, no wind support, but leg support while we ride, yet the same seat-bar-pedals relation ends up being similar, finding that right balance doesnt it?

as mentioned, you might be able to counter stuff to an extent. Be careful though of forward seat position, just check to make sure your feet arent tooo far forward of the pedals, not good for the knees, but you should be able to gain an inch or even more without problems.
You can always go for a longer stem also (a pain in the arse I know with trekking bars, have to remove tape and everything) , getting the bars ahead a bit along with seat can help.
Shorter cranks also could help, but then thats an expense not worth doing.

try mucking about with the seat and bars, start with seat and see if it gets you forward enough, then look at stem. Although I know older type stems arent available that much, you might have to try one of those adapter thingees that is just threaded "pole" with the expander thingee, then you add on a regular stem to it.
Used bike places always have a box full of older quill stems for 5 bucks or whatever.

oh, make some detailed measurements from your old bike to try to copy with your changes, being logical with what you measure.

worth a bit of trying anyway.
good luck
Old 11-22-18, 09:31 AM
djb

dont forget, its most very likely that the trekking bars have a standard diameter, not oversize, keep in mind when and if looking at stems, especially if you have to go the quill to threadless adapter thing route, and then an actual stem.
Old 11-22-18, 09:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I would title this thread as more about fit then geometry. Seat set back is a big factor relating to how the torso deals with your upper bodies weight. It also affects how the bike is balanced/steered. I see a lot of riders with what I feel are seats too far forward, their pedals are more under them. A common complaint is hand or shoulder/neck discomfort. It sounds counter productive to slide the seat back to lessen the weight on one's hands but what happens is that your torso muscles can better hold the body up. Think about this. when you lean forward where does you butt go? It needs to move rearward or else you fall on your face. Andy
Old 11-22-18, 10:17 AM
djb

at least sharp has an existing bike that he has done long trips on and knows it works for him, this is a huge help for using that existing template to reference and try to copy (ish).

oops, I read too quickly--the butterfly bars are on your old bike...got that all wrong didnt I?

could your trekking bars give you that added positional change that makes a difference? One of my bikes had them and I find I nearly always ride them "on the sides" so to speak, with my hands in a similar position to being on the hoods. This puts me forward a bit and it helps my back also.

as with all this stuff, sometimes just a small change can make all the world of difference.

sharp--I'd add one more possible detail--marathon plus tours are rather heavy and stiff tires, a friend of mine had them on a bike and I felt the "stiffness" aspect of them compared to regular marathons, and much more than supremes (a very thin walled supple tire).
of course, tire pressures plays a big part too.

dont know if that could be a factor.
Old 11-22-18, 06:04 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
My primary ride for while was a steel hybrid with butterfly bars. I had it pretty well fit by the time multible milage failures caught up with it all at once and and it donated its tires and seat to another bike. I think the top tube is proportionally long like a mountain bike, and I rode it mostly on the sides of the butterfly bars, with the controls closer for up right brakeing and a set of bar ends for a streached out "areo" position. I ran marathon plus tours that were noticeably easyer on the back when run at lower pressures. One thing that i thought might be affecting the "harshness factor" was the extra long replacement seat post that probably could be shortened 10" . I didn't get around to that experiment before decomisioning the bike, but mountain bikes do seem to come with Longer and heavier duty seat posts than road bikes.
Old 11-22-18, 06:20 PM
Sharpshin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hermanchauw
Have you tried setting the saddle all the way forward in the Rockhopper? If not enough range of motion, you could reverse the seat post to increase the forward position.

Holy paradigm shift Batman! Adjusting the seat forward on the rails never occurred to me. Brook's Saddles have quite long seat rails, prob'ly for that very reason, setting the seat forward all the way made quite a lot of difference, thanks

That bike is a great commuter/urban bike, tho I might have erred towards "heavy" when having the wheels assembled. The 26x2" Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tours are the toughest, most flat-resistant tiers I've found, tho again heavy. If I do tour on it I'll install a Racktime rear rack and a Bontrager rack up front as I did on my '89 Schwinn Voyageur so as to set the Ortlieb panniers lower. I will say that frame doesn't soak up the road vibration like the slender frame components on the Voyageur. The bike doesn't seem to roll as effortlessly either.

I'll put in a couple of long rides over Christmas break to compare 'em.
Old 11-22-18, 06:31 PM
Sharpshin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
could your trekking bars give you that added positional change that makes a difference?
Yes, I'm thinking a set will be installed pretty soon, set up like those on my Schwinn. This will move the effective position of the grips back to level with the steering head.

sharp--I'd add one more possible detail--marathon plus tours are rather heavy and stiff tires, a friend of mine had them on a bike and I felt the "stiffness" aspect of them compared to regular marathons, and much more than supremes (a very thin walled supple tire). of course, tire pressures plays a big part too.dont know if that could be a factor.
Plus Tours are indeed heavy and stiff, stiff at least when new, but the best tire I've found to withstand my rough urban commute, I've only torn up two of 'em so far, about one every one or two years.
Old 11-22-18, 06:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharpshin
... If I do tour on it I'll install a Racktime rear rack and a Bontrager rack up front as I did on my '89 Schwinn Voyageur so as to set the Ortlieb panniers lower. ....
Those Racktime racks are getting harder to find in USA. A few sellers still have them. But a lot of people that sold them no longer have them in stock.
Old 11-22-18, 08:13 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Those Racktime racks are getting harder to find in USA. A few sellers still have them. But a lot of people that sold them no longer have them in stock.

I have purchased 3 Racktime racks from German E-tailers. All good.
Old 11-22-18, 08:15 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Summer 2017 I found a mint 1995 RockHopper in a pawn shop for $100,

Is your RickHopper frame made from Steel or Aluminium?
Old 11-22-18, 08:36 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Is your RickHopper frame made from Steel or Aluminium?
They were steel at that time.
Old 11-22-18, 09:06 PM
djb

Originally Posted by robow
They were steel at that time.
They must have changed not long after, as my 97 or 98 Rockhopper is aluminum and the rear end is rather stiff--but it's great with heavy panniers and isn't flexy and rides well. It's now my "ride in snow" commuter
Old 11-22-18, 09:11 PM
djb

Plus Tours are indeed heavy and stiff, stiff at least when new, but the best tire I've found to withstand my rough urban commute, I've only torn up two of 'em so far, about one every one or two years.
I remember now those details. I recall thinking how the heck you wreck tires regularly.
Could you just do a back to back switch test with the wheels from the other bike, at different pressures, to see how both roll as well as comfort for you? But I guess if you need them, you need them.
Old 11-23-18, 06:20 AM
3speed

If you don’t mind my asking, what is your commute like? Feel free to just skip this if it will derail your thread too much. I’m just curious where you commute that’s so hard on tires. Just thinking about pushing around six pounds of tires every day hurts my back too. I’m glad I don’t have to deal with your commuting surfaces and ride those tires. I’m lucky to have fairly nice roads or paths everywhere.

How big of a tire does the Voyager fit? Assuming the Rock Hopper takes larger tires, maybe you can run a higher volume tire and the added compliance would allow you to run lighter, more supple, and therefore less harsh riding tires. The softer tires might help your comfort on the bike.
Old 11-23-18, 10:00 AM
Sharpshin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Much of my 12 mile daily commute is through Working Class urban Hispanic areas, the worst part after dark I ride without lights so as to avoid drawing attention to myself. About half of my riding is before dawn or after sunset.

I do not contest my right to the lane with traffic, in fact I ride with the pragmatic attitude that if I ever get hit it’s ALWAYS gonna be my fault for being out there in the first place (this place is noted for the high rate of driving while drunk), consequently I ride the gutters a lot, or sidewalks, and will bail off of the asphalt onto the roadside dirt in a heartbeat.

Those riding habits, the higher amounts of dumped trash and glass bottles, the large number of guys with flatbed trailers and pickup trucks who work on construction sites sheddingvscrews and nails and various metallic debris as they drive all conspire to leave a lot of sharp objects.

Couple that to long intervals between rain and I guess stuff accumulates. My experience has been that tires like Gatorskins and Plus Tours will get scarred up quite a lot and still hold air, but when they DO get punctured it’s usually something major, like the bent 2” nail that center-punched a brand new Gatorskin one time and came out the sidewall.

That Voyageur comes from an era when 1 1/2” tires were considered wide, the tight spot is at the top of the narrow forks. Switching to the slightly smaller 700 wheel size helped a little. The widest Gatorskin or Top Contact II’s I can fit are 32mm. Schwalbes run a little narrower, I ran 32mm Marathons for a short while until they flatted out but seeing their dimensions replaced them with 700x35 Plus Tours. Part of my commute involves dirt, Their armor plus that all-surface tread has made Plus Tours my go -to tire on both bikes.

Last edited by Sharpshin; 11-23-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 12:42 PM
3speed

I ran 32mm Marathons for a short while until they flatted out but seeing their dimensions replaced them with 700x35 Plus Tours. Part of my commute involves dirt, Their armor plus that all-surface tread has made Plus Tours my go -to tire on both bikes.
Yeesh. That’s a hell of a commute. I do think larger volume tires would help, though. You should be able to run lower pressures and roll over some things undamaged that might have been pressed into the tread of a harder, narrower tire. You’ll have more float and better cotrol and less rolling resistance when going off-road, too.
Old 11-23-18, 02:26 PM
djb

I remember now those extra details about nails and screws and stuff. Riding in the dark a lot is a big factor also, I commute in urban settings all the time, albeit not with lots of metal stuff like you are hitting, but I do notice that when fall comes and Im riiding in the dark more, the chances of hitting stuff that normally in daylight I would see and avoid, is much much higher in the dark, so yes I get it.

just as a comparison though, I rode through a good part of Central America, about half of Mexico, and across France on the same set of 26x2in. Supremes and didnt get a flat (technically I guess I got one cuz when I returned from C.A I had deflated my tires slightly for the flight home, and at home when pumping them up a bit of thorn that had probably been in the tire for a month or two punctured the tube when it was partially deflated)
I ran over a crapload of glass in Guatemala and Honduras, but being in the day always, I avoided the worst of it, and stopped and brushed off tires with my hand whenever I couldnt avoid stuff.
I probably brought this up last time we talked about your commute, but it goes to show you your commute must be pretty bad debris wise and the dark means you arent seeing stuff well.

hey, what pressures do you run on your tires, the tour plus ones? How much do you weigh? Im light at 135 and maybe had max of 60lbs on the bike, and tended to use 45r 42f, or thereabouts, less a bit if on really bad roads bumpy wise. 4 panniers, handlebar bag and a rackbag ontop of the rear panniers, somewhat evenly balanced weight wise.
Old 11-23-18, 03:15 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts

I do not contest my right to the lane with traffic, in fact I ride with the pragmatic attitude that if I ever get hit it’s ALWAYS gonna be my fault for being out there in the first place (this place is noted for the high rate of driving while drunk), consequently I ride the gutters a lot, or sidewalks, and will bail off of the asphalt onto the roadside dirt in a heartbeat.

Those riding habits, the higher amounts of dumped trash and glass bottles, the large number of guys with flatbed trailers and pickup trucks who work on construction sites sheddingvscrews and nails and various metallic debris as they drive all conspire to leave a lot of sharp objects.

This pretty much describe my urban riding. I'm constantly rolling over stuff in the dark. Near the homeless camps are the worst for debris.
I'm a Mr. Tuffy tire liner believer for this reason.
I've been told this is overkill for my regular Marathon tires but no flats for 6 years from debris.
Only when I under inflated my tires did the Mr. Tuffy cut into my inner tube and flatten. My fault.
I then removed the Mr. Tuffy and had a flat within a month. Back-on went the Mr. Tuffy's. I found a piece of metal that worked it's way through the tread. It would have given any tire a flat.
I'm a firm believer that the tire liners allow some movement, which prevents penetration of embedded objects.
Old 11-24-18, 06:57 PM
Sharpshin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
I remember now those extra details about nails and screws and stuff. Riding in the dark a lot is a big factor also, I commute in urban settings all the time, albeit not with lots of metal stuff like you are hitting, but I do notice that when fall comes and Im riiding in the dark more, the chances of hitting stuff that normally in daylight I would see and avoid, is much much higher in the dark, so yes I get it.

just as a comparison though, I rode through a good part of Central America, about half of Mexico, and across France on the same set of 26x2in. Supremes and didnt get a flat (technically I guess I got one cuz when I returned from C.A I had deflated my tires slightly for the flight home, and at home when pumping them up a bit of thorn that had probably been in the tire for a month or two punctured the tube when it was partially deflated)
I ran over a crapload of glass in Guatemala and Honduras, but being in the day always, I avoided the worst of it, and stopped and brushed off tires with my hand whenever I couldnt avoid stuff.
I probably brought this up last time we talked about your commute, but it goes to show you your commute must be pretty bad debris wise and the dark means you arent seeing stuff well.

hey, what pressures do you run on your tires, the tour plus ones? How much do you weigh? Im light at 135 and maybe had max of 60lbs on the bike, and tended to use 45r 42f, or thereabouts, less a bit if on really bad roads bumpy wise. 4 panniers, handlebar bag and a rackbag ontop of the rear panniers, somewhat evenly balanced weight wise.
I weigh around 180, prob’ly have anywhere from 10 to 40 pounds of stuff in two rear Ortliebs on the commute. On tour I had all four panniers holding 30 pounds of gear plus water.

Most of my riding has been done with max or near max pressures rated on the tire in the old-school belief that high pressure equals less rolling resistance.

Recently learned on on the net that this ain’t si, so I dropped my 26x2.0 Plus Tours from 70 psi to 55psi, usually 5 to 10 psi lost by the time of my next tire check the following week (that’s with Schraeder valves, when I had those wheels built five years back the consensus here was real world touring bikes had 26” wheels and Schraeder valves. Forget that, I’m switching back to Presta).

On by 700x35 Plus Tours I’m still running 80 psi; Old habits die hard.
Old 11-25-18, 09:30 AM
djb

I weigh around 180, prob’ly have anywhere from 10 to 40 pounds of stuff in two rear Ortliebs on the commute. On tour I had all four panniers holding 30 pounds of gear plus water.

Most of my riding has been done with max or near max pressures rated on the tire in the old-school belief that high pressure equals less rolling resistance.

Recently learned on on the net that this ain’t si, so I dropped my 26x2.0 Plus Tours from 70 psi to 55psi, usually 5 to 10 psi lost by the time of my next tire check the following week (that’s with Schraeder valves, when I had those wheels built five years back the consensus here was real world touring bikes had 26” wheels and Schraeder valves. Forget that, I’m switching back to Presta).

On by 700x35 Plus Tours I’m still running 80 psi; Old habits die hard.
as for max pressure, I used to be the same, so all I can suggest is to do what I did--given that I tend to do the same route all the time commuting, I would use my floor pump and try diff pressures. Montreal roads are sometimes very rough, so its perfect to see how diff pressures feel and improve rider comfort.
Easy to do, just reduce by 5psi and observe and note, next day reduce 5 more.... Of course, if you have 10lbs of stuff one and 40lbs of groceries another day, it will affect things, so just use common sense.
I also would note and compare comfort AND riding time, and I soon saw how X lbs less and X psi for a given pannier weight would help my comfort immensely AND have no impact on my riding time given a more or less same amount of effort and no big headwinds or whatever that can skew stuff.

as for losing pressure, one of my bikes has shraeder and it maybe loses more air, but Im not sure, could be though. Having a floor pump with gauge is super fast though so thats why I love having one, bing bang boom and its done. Cheaper tubes sometimes lose air more quickly, but I have always bought cheapish but perfectly good ones and its not a real issue for me.

my shraeder bike has 700x35 regular marathons on it, and I usually ride with 40f and 45 rear, maybe 50r, and thats fine for my weight.

basically, doing the comparison tests are the way to go, and the diff that sometimes only 5-10psi less can make is huge in taking the edge off bumps and harsh edges that we hit on our commutes, and could very well make a big diff to your back pain, along with the other small changes in bike position etc.

its all in the details