Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

You can't "win" them all....

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

You can't "win" them all....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 05:49 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
..."how dare you shout at me"...
Every man would benefit from a punch in the mouth when they were a child. Just so they know it's a possibility throughout life. Thankfully, my "lesson" came from a friend who stopped hitting me when I asked him to. I was a freshman in high school I think. Maybe 8th grade.
Old 11-26-18, 02:39 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You say that as if it is an absolute. It is not.
i can take the quick route through the park (inc all the ******** who walk on the road with unleashed dogs) or the long way with no dogs running into me

i take the long way home
Old 11-26-18, 04:00 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Off-leash dog on a MUP - how much more stupid can a human being be?
DD
Exactly. Only thing dumber is TWO dogs ON leash spread out across the entire MUP. One to the right, and one to the left. What brand of applesauce is inside that dog owner's head?
Old 11-27-18, 09:07 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I'm not found of "on your left" in the first place. Too vague. Also have gotten strange reactions from people. I personally don't like to give a verbal warning unless I have to. I'd rather pass when it's safe and at a low enough speed I can stop if necessary. If I do say something it is more on the lines of "excuse me" to get their attention and "thank you" as I'm passing.

In the can't please everyone category brought up by the OP...this past Sunday I was on an open two lane road and was passing another cyclist. I was about as far over on the left as you could go with plenty of room to pass. The cyclist yells out to me "on your left". I assume he wanted a verbal warning. Also in roughly the same area I had a woman on a MUP do the same thing last month. Once again I was a far over as possible. Maybe this area has many rude cyclist who buzz people.
Old 11-27-18, 10:04 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by bikecrate
I'm not found of "on your left" in the first place. Too vague. Also have gotten strange reactions from people. I personally don't like to give a verbal warning unless I have to. I'd rather pass when it's safe and at a low enough speed I can stop if necessary.
Same here. Plus I only pass at a spot where I could bail into the grass if I had to (on MUPs).

Maybe this area has many rude cyclist who buzz people.
Rule Nazis more like it. Also, demanding you call out is an admission of guilt that THEY are likely to screw up and cause a crash. If they were aware and safe there would not be any reason for you to request an invitation from them to pass them.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-27-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 08:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'm not found of "on your left" in the first place. Too vague. Also have gotten strange reactions from people. I personally don't like to give a verbal warning unless I have to. I'd rather pass when it's safe and at a low enough speed I can stop if necessary. If I do say something it is more on the lines of "excuse me" to get their attention and "thank you" as I'm passing.

In the can't please everyone category brought up by the OP...this past Sunday I was on an open two lane road and was passing another cyclist. I was about as far over on the left as you could go with plenty of room to pass. The cyclist yells out to me "on your left". I assume he wanted a verbal warning. Also in roughly the same area I had a woman on a MUP do the same thing last month. Once again I was a far over as possible. Maybe this area has many rude cyclist who buzz people.

I have no problem when I use "passing on your left", it's really not ambiguous. Actually, I have been thanked for it more than once.
I give bike riders a warning regardless of how far over I'm on the path.

I don't use "on your left" because it is confusing. I also have seen people get confused by bells.

Very rarely, I'll decide that a pedestrian is so far over to the right that a warning is more likely to startle them than an unannounced pass many feet to their left.
Old 11-28-18, 10:37 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Ha. Coyote bait.

I would have just taken to the grass. You were riding ATBs after all. Why risk the encounter?