Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old Schwinn Tricycle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 03:52 PM
Blompson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Schwinn Tricycle

I found this kinda trippy beat up Schwinn trike at a garage sale a few months ago. Had a lot of rust, wheels in bad shape, tires falling apart, grips were nasty. Picked it up for $30 from the owner. I thought it was interesting the way it seemed like a normal Schwinn frame with a tricycle attachment. Realized I couldn't remove the rear wheels myself very easily, so got my LBS to true the rear two and I replaced the front wheel, new rubber, grips, WD40/scotch brite to remove the bulk of the rust myself. Still missing rear fenders and reflector(s?). I know it's still a beater but it seems like an interesting beater to me at least, and I was wondering if anybody had more info on these and maybe a rough idea of what it was worth in its moderately rehabbed condition.

It rides just fine except for the fact that it's a tricycle and sucks to turn. 😆

Old 12-05-18, 12:10 AM
Blompson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I've got a Craigslist bidding war going on right now and I could use advice. I posted for $120 and got a buyer the first day. Later same day a second buyer offered $150. Now therest also an offer on the table of $100 plus what he says is a '59 Schwinn (see below). He says he has the original fenders and chain guard as well.
What would *you* do?
​​​​

Old 12-05-18, 07:14 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Blompson
So I've got a Craigslist bidding war going on right now and I could use advice. I posted for $120 and got a buyer the first day. Later same day a second buyer offered $150. Now therest also an offer on the table of $100 plus what he says is a '59 Schwinn (see below). He says he has the original fenders and chain guard as well.
What would *you* do?
​​​​
Did you ask a set price? Sounds like it. Then take your price and move on. Did you accept any of these offers? Me, morally once I accept an offer, thats it. I don't renege on deals. I also do not negotiate via email or phone. I always say in person in cash. If someone wants it, I tell them, call me when you get in your car to head here, and I will hold it until you arrive. Otherwise, no holds either. A full price offer via text/phone/email is meaningless. But I make these ground rules clear up front.

If I get slammed with responses, I tell them full price and I will not hold. I contact the first person, tell them that I had a lot of response, so the first person that can come buy it gets it. If they tell me they can't come until tomorrow or the weekend, or some other delay, I tell them I'll call them back then if it is still available. I then call #2 .

Why? Because C/L is full of people who don't show up. Rather than hold for someone who never makes it, I just go to the first real buyer. I've had so many buyers that were 15 minutes away and never showed. Deadbeats! Same with negotiating. Negotiating on the phone, text or email is a waste of time. It just commits YOU the seller. I do tell buyers I think my price is fair. I don't play games on prices and inflate them to leave negotiating room. The buyer has no obligation to ever show up. Now I will modify this if the person lives a long way away. But with a lot of response, no thanks.

Now if you haven't accepted any of these offers, and they were more non-committal, and I like the red bike, I'd take the red bike and the cash. If I don't want the red bike, I don't take trades. My goal in selling a bike is to sell it, not get another bike that I in turn have to sell. So unless I want the trade, I won't take it. Trades need to be positive for me because the person giving me the trade is transferring the headache/time/job of selling their bike to me. If I like the red bike, thats a favorable trade for sure. Reattach coaster brake arm.

You must live in an area with a lot of retired people, as trikes around here are impossible to sell. Good for you! (I'm retired, and no way I want a trike, so not all retired people are trike buyers).

Last edited by wrk101; 12-05-18 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 03:22 PM
Blompson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I think you're right. I've gone back to the first person, who I agreed to sell it to in the first place, and am asking only for the originally posted price. The other guy is now offering me full price AND the 59 Schwinn, but I feel icky going back on my original deal and have thanked the second guy for his generous offer and politely declined. I don't want to be *that* guy.

Thanks for your input.