Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking collective

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bikepacking collective

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 09:14 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Proof or reference please.
You may be waiting a while...
Old 12-09-18, 11:30 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed

They could probably make more, but

If I’m gonna do a road tour in the US, I’m probably looking to spend $1,000-2,000. Why spend $200 on a map to do a $1,000-2,000 trip? 10-20% of the trip cost on a map? That just doesn’t make sense. $100? Maybe if they had a great reputation. $50? Probably, if they had a decent reputation. $200? No, thanks. I have a lap top and can do a couple weeks worth of research in the evenings. I also have a smart phone and a tablet that I can take with on the trip to look up more things along the way if I want.
My thoughts that I'm sure many will disagree with:

ACC Pros:
The maps are constantly updated and give more information than just routes. I.e. - elevation, alternate routes, detours, hotels, motels, hostels, campgrounds, distance between food and water stops and other amenities. They also report on road substance and conditions.
As for computers and phones on the road...There's an axiom in camping, hiking and backpacking that says, "Never trust your life to a battery." You can also pull out a laminated ACA map in the rain when you're out in the open.
As for mapping your route prior to the trip yourself...The amount of hours to do even an adequate job versus the cost of maps needs to be considered. My time is important to me and definitely worth the costs. Yes, $200 is a lot of money but 20 to 30 hours or more is time I can't afford to lose or ever get back.

ACA Cons:
I fully support their mission and appreciate the advocacy they do. I've been a member for about 13 years and I've done a few rides with them and had good experiences. They are however now cutting corners that I don't consider customer friendly.
On most (all?) of their self contained and inn to inn rides they seem to have gone from two leaders to only one leader. Since they get a mix of experienced and novice riders, I dont agree with this change.
A personal problem...a few years ago I was signed up for a ride but had to cancel due to a family emergency. I knew there would be no refund and have little problem with that, but I asked them to send me the t-shirt, triangle and other freebees they provide, but they refused, They kept my $2,000 but couldn't send me $25 worth of give away stuff. Not sure if I'm being petty or they are.
Old 12-11-18, 05:17 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
^ Wow. 13yr member, have done multiple trips with them, they’re keeping your $2,000, they obviously know this already Really sucks for you not going on your trip, and they wouldn’t send you a t-shirt? Yeah, f those guys. That’s just ****ty.