Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Align stem and wheel

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Align stem and wheel

Old 12-08-18, 06:50 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Align stem and wheel

Theres not a lot of difference but it is there. I tried by loosening the brassy looking screw but that has a groove in the back of it that dictates it cant be swivelled anywhere...only can go up or down. So not sure where i adjust this. Its is a bike i am fixing bit by bit
Old 12-08-18, 07:38 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
The adjustment should be just above the head tube (front of the frame which carries the steering tube for the front fork) and below the mechanism for folding the stem. Can you show closeup photos of this area from different sides? In fact, four photos from around this area would be best to nail down how to proceed. Also, fold the stem down and take an overhead picture. The adjustment bolt/screw/wedge, might be inside the folding joint.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-08-18, 07:50 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
That looks like a quill stem. The way they work is the entire assembly drops into the headtube, then you tighten the center bolt (inside the post) until the friction won't let the stem rotate inside the fork. First, fold the post over and look straight down. You should see the center bolt right there.
Old 12-09-18, 03:43 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
The adjustment should be just above the head tube (front of the frame which carries the steering tube for the front fork) and below the mechanism for folding the stem. Can you show closeup photos of this area from different sides? In fact, four photos from around this area would be best to nail down how to proceed. Also, fold the stem down and take an overhead picture. The adjustment bolt/screw/wedge, might be inside the folding joint.
Ok will try and do that tomorrow. Its very hard to do anything at night as there are a lot of mosquitoes at night. I sure i can get some good shots
Old 12-09-18, 06:11 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
If it is like some of the Dahons, The stem is clamped to the steer tube. But before you can loosen the clamp and rotate you must first fold the stem and loosen the large nut that is threaded internally to the steer tube. This large nut also adjusts headset bearings. Very similar concept to threadless headsets but the star fangled nut is replaced by internally threaded steer tube w/nut.

FWIW that brass bolt looks dangerous, At a minimum I would cut it off and dress it with a file, or find a donor quick release seat type clamp, which is what was there in the first place.

Last edited by zebede; 12-09-18 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-09-18, 07:34 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by zebede
If it is like some of the Dahons, The stem is clamped to the steer tube. But before you can loosen the clamp and rotate you must first fold the stem and loosen the large nut that is threaded internally to the steer tube. This large nut also adjusts headset bearings. Very similar concept to threadless headsets but the star fangled nut is replaced by internally threaded steer tube w/nut.

FWIW that brass bolt looks dangerous, At a minimum I would cut it off and dress it with a file, or find a donor quick release seat type clamp, which is what was there in the first place.
I dont know. I have seen other small foldies around but never owned one before. OK have to look further tomorrow. What is FWIW? Oh yes i am getting a quick release...it is dangerous your right. I dont know why they used it.
Old 12-09-18, 01:54 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
FWIW = for what it's worth.
Old 12-10-18, 08:57 PM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
FWIW = for what it's worth.
oh thanks i am so bad with these things
Old 12-10-18, 09:16 PM
rapattack

Old 12-11-18, 05:56 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
As you can easily see in the pictures, and as @Joe Remi and @zebede state in posts above, the large hex bolt on the lower end needs to be loosened. Go carefully, because you don't want to accidently drop a nut down the fork steering tube and for some reason (say corrosion) you are unable to fully remove the stem, retrieve the nut, and reinstall it.

Loosen until the bolt can be turned with your hand. Then tap the top lightly with a hammer. Holding the wheel between your legs, see if the stem/bars will pivot while the wheel remains in one place. If it does, align the steering and retighten. If it doesn't try soaking everything in penetrating oil (WD40, etc.) and try again in a day or two.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-11-18, 08:58 AM
rapattack

As you can easily see in the pictures, and as @Joe Remi and @zebede state in posts above, the large hex bolt on the lower end needs to be loosened. Go carefully, because you don't want to accidently drop a nut down the fork steering tube and for some reason (say corrosion) you are unable to fully remove the stem, retrieve the nut, and reinstall it.

Loosen until the bolt can be turned with your hand. Then tap the top lightly with a hammer. Holding the wheel between your legs, see if the stem/bars will pivot while the wheel remains in one place. If it does, align the steering and retighten. If it doesn't try soaking everything in penetrating oil (WD40, etc.) and try again in a day or two.
Oh thanks i was at a community bicycle workshop tonight but there were so many things about the biek to fix i didnt get to this. I will attempt it maybe next week. Maybe at another workshop...thanks for the advice