Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake pad performance in cold weather

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 01:50 PM
GreenBiker60
Green Biker

Bikes: Cannondale sr400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought some new pads about 2 months ago. for front brakes. Sharply! decreased performance below say 45 degrees out!! cheap pads or a function of the brand or is this common? recommendations for better brake pads? thanks much
Old 12-07-18, 07:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
might have better luck in the mechanics forum & can you share the brand & model of the pads?
Old 12-07-18, 02:38 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenBiker60
Bought some new pads about 2 months ago. for front brakes. Sharply! decreased performance below say 45 degrees out!! cheap pads or a function of the brand or is this common? recommendations for better brake pads? thanks much
What's the brand? Sounds like the rubber is getting stiff and not gripping as well. I have had no issues with salmon KoolStops down to 32. Below that I'm usually on a different bike - and disk brakes don't have that problem at all
Old 12-08-18, 06:32 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Disc vs rim makes a huge difference.

Harder brake shoes (usually the cheap sub-$5 sets) are bad when it's warm, and worse when it gets cold.

If you're talking about disc brakes, sintered metal pads perform poorly until they heat up, better to stick to 'organic' resin pads until it gets warmer.
Old 12-10-18, 03:10 PM
GreenBiker60
Green Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake pad performance in cold weather?

Noted a marked deterioration in my brake pad performance, I dunno which brand but I might be able to find from my LBS which one I bought, What is the likely cause of this, cold weather and rubber that is too hard? I tried cleaning w hot soapy water. shall I try a better, more expensive brand? thanks
Old 12-10-18, 03:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I haven't heard problems with KoolStop pads. I've used them to a little below 20 degrees and have no reason to believe they wouldn't be just fine in a lot colder. I never had issues with the old Mafac pads either and I used them down to -5F. (I wouldn't use them now just because the rubber would have to be 30 years old and probably quite hard from age.)

Ben
Old 12-10-18, 03:16 PM
GreenBiker60
Green Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brake pad performance in cold weather

Noted a marked deterioration in my brake pad performance, I dunno which brand but I might be able to find from my LBS which one I bought, What is the likely cause of this, cold weather and rubber that is too hard? I tried cleaning w hot soapy water. shall I try a better, more expensive brand? thanks
Old 12-10-18, 04:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
moved from OP's redundant post.. of same question

do as you choose..
yes a cold thing is harder than a warm thing, rubber is not immune to that.
(@ 0 Kelvin every molecule is motionless)

if you read some of the tire threads ..

Continental has a un studded winter tire, that uses a rubber compound just to gain that advantage.
its way too soft when warm out.

Old 12-10-18, 05:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Merged duplicate threads.
Old 12-11-18, 06:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
For the small cost of new and "better" pads (like Kool Stops) the answer can be had. The answer that the OP really needs, the one for his conditions (which I mean to be more then just temp. ) Andy
Old 12-12-18, 12:28 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I haven't heard problems with KoolStop pads. I've used them to a little below 20 degrees and have no reason to believe they wouldn't be just fine in a lot colder.
The KoolStops on my commuter bike have worked as well at -20 F as at civilized temperatures. But, TBH, the random no-name pads that came on the bike also worked in those low temperatures. And 45 degrees isn't that cold. There may be another explanation for the poor performance.
Old 12-12-18, 12:55 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
I have to wonder if OP (who, I note, posted the question thrice and hasn't reappeared) might not be mentioning some comfounding factor. Examples might include, it rained when the temperature dropped below 45 degrees, or the singletrack went through wet leaves or grass, or (s)he'd put cheap grease on the brake cables which hardened and made braking more difficult.
Old 12-12-18, 01:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I have to wonder if OP (who, I note, posted the question thrice and hasn't reappeared) might not be mentioning some comfounding factor. Examples might include, it rained when the temperature dropped below 45 degrees, or the singletrack went through wet leaves or grass, or (s)he'd put cheap grease on the brake cables which hardened and made braking more difficult.
What??? You accuse an OP of neglecting to give the complete picture? How could you be so entitled to expect good information? Andy (hoping all know this is satire)
Old 12-14-18, 08:26 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
My experience with Kool Stop salmons and Weinmann 500 brakes have a similar performance curve, just far greater of a change. I can lift the rear wheel ONLY when I have good modern cables (teflon inner and outer), when my rims are clean and dry, when the pads are properly adjusted, and most importantly, when it is above 85 degrees outside. Performance below 50 degrees is "pull to the bars" (easy to do because of the monstrous flex) to get decent braking. Doesn't get worse though. So yes, brake performance degrades in the cold. As long as you can safely deal with it, don't worry too much about it.
Old 12-14-18, 06:42 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
All brake pads have a glass transition temperature that they will be sensitive to. Above the Tglass temperature they will be the familiar rubbery pads with high friction, below the Tglass temperature will be a hard, almost glass-like material with substantially less friction. It sounds like your pads have relatively high Tglass temperature.

FWIW I use the Kool Stop Salmons and rarely have issues with them even on the coldest of rides (10degF.) Certain tires, on the other hand, become hard slippery things at those temperatures. For cold temp riding I change to one of the "all-season" tires that are available but leave the brake pads alone since they haven't proven to be an issue.