Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car Free for 10 Years !!!

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 07-04-18, 06:26 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I got rid of my last car (Dodge Caravan) 10 years ago, in 2008. I got an Electra Townie and rode that for around one year, then got my Surly Long Haul Trucker, which I rode from April, 2009-late 2017. Due to serious health issues …. I am investing in a custom high-tech Yuba Sweet Curry with a 1500W motor, and 80Ahr battery pack (4 batteries), 4 headlights, taillights, brake lights and turn signals, and many other features …..

I was planning on buying a low-mileage mini-van when I retire in two or three years, but decided not to get another car. I will just keep riding my Yuba Sweet Curry eBike ….. which will be perfect for cycling to work, shopping … and going on tours two or three times every year, and camping at local campgrounds.

I have two tours planned for this year … 1) Napa Valley and surrounding area … 2) Bodega Bay to Brookings … and at least two tours planned for 2019 … 1) San Francisco to Santa Cruz over Spring Vacation 2019 and 2) Point Reyes and the surrounding area during the summer, 2019 …..
Old 07-05-18, 11:23 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Good for you. 10 years is a long time and is impressive in todays car centric life many/most have... Many here are seeming to be "trying" but like me are not even close to living life without a vehicle...
Old 07-05-18, 12:11 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Good for you. 10 years is a long time and is impressive in todays car centric life many/most have... Many here are seeming to be "trying" but like me are not even close to living life without a vehicle...
Living Car Free will not work for everyone, but millions of people in the US could go Car Free, especially where the ground is pretty much level, like where I live. Also, we have no snow and no ice, which is even better for cycling. Weather is mild in the winter. People who need to commute long distance would not be able to cycle to work.

Originally, I was going to install a gas-powered motor on my Townie Electra, but after doing much research, I discovered just how versatile bicycles really are. I never knew that so many people carried tons of stuff with their bicycles. Some people, like in Portland, Oregon, actually move all of their stuff from their big house to another house, using ONLY Bicycles … !!! You can watch the videos on YouTube !!! I was absolutely amazed … and began thinking that I could go Car Free. At first I went Car Light, started getting into shape … invested in good quality gear, and quickly realized that I could carry all of my groceries …. cycle to work ….

Just start out slow …. don't over do it … Think positive …
Old 07-05-18, 03:07 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Choosing bike over car takes courage. But when you do, it’s amazing how much fun it is. Keep rollin’ :-)
Old 07-12-18, 09:44 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Sweet! And all that money saved on car insurance/gas/registration/repair, etc., means more goodies for the bike =)
Old 07-12-18, 12:15 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
When I calculated the costs to purchase a used minivan with low mileage, and total costs for maintenance and repairs for 10 years ... I figure that I would spend around $80,000.00+ US.

Costs for my eBike (including the initial cost to custom build my eBike ... around $10,000.00 US), total cost for the first 10 years might be around $15,000-18,000.00. Quite a big difference !!!
Old 07-12-18, 04:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by vja4Him
When I calculated the costs to purchase a used minivan with low mileage, and total costs for maintenance and repairs for 10 years ... I figure that I would spend around $80,000.00+ US.

Costs for my eBike (including the initial cost to custom build my eBike ... around $10,000.00 US), total cost for the first 10 years might be around $15,000-18,000.00. Quite a big difference !!!
If you can accomplish all your transportation tasks with a vehicle as limited in cargo and passenger hauling as an e-bike, why would you compare its costs with the costs of a motor vehicle as a large and relatively expensive as a minivan, rather than the smallest available subcompact car or a motorcycle which would be much less expensive to purchase and operate? Unless you wish to convince yourself of your wisdom in vehicle choice?
Old 07-12-18, 05:33 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I have seen lots of people riding cargo bikes hauling stuff that would never fit in a subcompact or even a compact car! And, of course, a motorcycle can't haul very much at all. The OP's comparison as pretty generous, with a USED vehicle compared to new. A hatchback "might" work (although my friend's Prius couldn't haul as much as she thought). But let's say the OP adds in rental of a minivan a few times a year to his cost of ownership for the e-bike....he is still saving a small fortune compared to the cost of any new car+insurance+gas+maintenance+registration. I'm assuming the e-bike was new so both should be new for comparison). "For vehicles driven 15,000 miles a year, average ownership costs added up to about $8,469 per year in 2017." Nerdwallet

Last edited by linberl; 07-12-18 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 09:47 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
If you can accomplish all your transportation tasks with a vehicle as limited in cargo and passenger hauling as an e-bike, why would you compare its costs with the costs of a motor vehicle as a large and relatively expensive as a minivan, rather than the smallest available subcompact car or a motorcycle which would be much less expensive to purchase and operate? Unless you wish to convince yourself of your wisdom in vehicle choice?
Because that is "Realistic" … !!! Plain and simple !!! I would NOT even want a motorcycle, or a just a "Small Car" … I am talking about "Camping" …. "Touring" …..

But that is what "I was planning" …. not somebody else, who does not understand me, my thinking, what I want.
Old 07-12-18, 09:51 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I have seen lots of people riding cargo bikes hauling stuff that would never fit in a subcompact or even a compact car! And, of course, a motorcycle can't haul very much at all. The OP's comparison as pretty generous, with a USED vehicle compared to new. A hatchback "might" work (although my friend's Prius couldn't haul as much as she thought). But let's say the OP adds in rental of a minivan a few times a year to his cost of ownership for the e-bike....he is still saving a small fortune compared to the cost of any new car+insurance+gas+maintenance+registration. I'm assuming the e-bike was new so both should be new for comparison). "For vehicles driven 15,000 miles a year, average ownership costs added up to about $8,469 per year in 2017." Nerdwallet
The reason I used the "Used, low-mileage Mini-van" for comparison is because that is what I was originally planning on buying …. a used mini-van with low-mileage, because a new mini-van could easily cost $25,000.00-50,000.00 … !!! I was NOT going to buy a new mini-van. So, I was comparing what "I was going to do" in real life.

My early retirement refund was not enough to buy a new mini-van anyways. My later retirement refund would be enough to buy a new mini-van, but then there would be the monthly/yearly costs, which anyone who drives a car/van knows what the "Real Expenses" are ….. I have driven many vehicles for many years.
Old 07-12-18, 09:55 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
And …. as any cyclist knows …. Bicycles/eBikes can go many places that cars >>> CANNOT go … !!! Even though I will be loaded to the gills with gear, I still will be roughing it much of the time … pitching a tent … cooking with a Coleman Stove, or over the fire … enjoying the fresh outdoors …. listening to nature …. watching the stars …. meeting other cyclists …. hikers … campers … walking along the beaches … hopefully siting whales (I have never seen a real live whale …), and leaving a much lighter footprint than cars …..
Old 07-12-18, 09:58 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Choosing bike over car takes courage. But when you do, it’s amazing how much fun it is. Keep rollin’ :-)
Yes, it was a bit of a shock …. but I did go "Car-Light" for several years. And I have been riding bicycles since I was four years old (I'm 61 years old now). And yes, it is fun, at least for me. I enjoy traveling slower, with the wind in my face …. I can easily slow down, or even stop anywhere, anytime, to chat with people, take pictures, rest ….. We (US) live in such a fast-paced world/society …. missing out on the more important things in life …..
Old 07-13-18, 06:13 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

And …. as any cyclist knows …. Bicycles/eBikes can go many places that cars >>> CANNOT go … !!! Even though I will be loaded to the gills with gear, I still will be roughing it much of the time … pitching a tent … cooking with a Coleman Stove, or over the fire … enjoying the fresh outdoors …. listening to nature …. watching the stars …. meeting other cyclists …. hikers … campers … walking along the beaches … hopefully siting whales (I have never seen a real live whale …), and leaving a much lighter footprint than cars …..
Got any pictures of your e-bike loaded to the gills with gear? How far do you travel with this camping e-bike combo? Travel with anybody or is all your travel socialization with strangers?
Old 07-13-18, 12:46 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Got any pictures of your e-bike loaded to the gills with gear? How far do you travel with this camping e-bike combo? Travel with anybody or is all your travel socialization with strangers?
I am still waiting to pick up my eBike … Still lots of customizing to finish … I will post pictures when I have my eBike fully loaded. Should be ready next week.
Old 07-13-18, 05:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I am still waiting to pick up my eBike … Still lots of customizing to finish … I will post pictures when I have my eBike fully loaded. Should be ready next week.
Now I understand. The "perfection" of an e-bike for cycling to work, shopping … and going on tours two or three times every year, loaded to the gills, and camping at local campgrounds will be demonstrated sometime in the future.

Good luck with your e-bike and I hope it works for all your transportation and cargo hauling needs as well as you expect
Old 07-13-18, 07:13 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
[QUOTE=I-Like-To-Bike;20446215]Now I understand. The "perfection" of an e-bike for cycling to work, shopping … and going on tours two or three times every year, loaded to the gills, and camping at local campgrounds will be demonstrated sometime in the future.

Good luck with your e-bike and I hope it works for all your transportation and cargo hauling needs as well as you expect[/QUOTE]

Now, will it be as good as he expects...??? Probably not.. But, will it be as big a fail as you seem to be expecting... Probably not... JMO...E-Bikes have a huge advantage In some ways, when people really want to ditch their cars, and want, to still be riding a "bicycle", instead of driving a car..

Last edited by 350htrr; 07-13-18 at 07:21 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 07-23-18, 07:21 AM
Lemonbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Done! A true achievement.
Old 07-24-18, 10:48 PM
Sir Lunch-a-lot

Bikes: Montague Folding/E-Bike, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 350htrr
JMO...E-Bikes have a huge advantage In some ways, when people really want to ditch their cars, and want, to still be riding a "bicycle", instead of driving a car..
I would have to agree with this. Plus, with power assist e-bikes, a person can still opt to put in effort and work up a sweat just like with a "normal" bike.
Old 07-25-18, 02:52 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir Lunch-a-lot
I would have to agree with this. Plus, with power assist e-bikes, a person can still opt to put in effort and work up a sweat just like with a "normal" bike.
I had no choice but to go with an eBike due to serious health problems. I can use pedal assist, but I'm not sure how much …. Still waiting for my custom eBike …. Took longer than expected for the 12g spokes to arrive. Now, waiting for the shop to rebuild the wheel for extra strength. I hope that I can pedal at least some. I really need the exercise, but cannot do strenuous exercise anymore.

The eBike will be great transportation for me to get to work, shopping, and also enjoy cycling tours several times a year. I've been riding Uber and Lyft too long, costing me around $300-400 month, and that is usually only one way, taking the city bus home.
Old 07-25-18, 05:14 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Rising
How do you keep your bike from being stolen, stripped or vandalized? I was car free for a few years in the late 80s to early 90s, but could bring my bike inside at work and walk to stores. How are you able to keep a decent bike rolling reliably thru hostile times and environments?
Excellent question … I have been using the massive and heavy New York Kryptonite Chain Lock, weight around 9+ pounds. I also have two heavy-duty cables with big padlocks. Also, my panniers are locked with cables and more padlocks. My handlebar bag also locked to the frame. My front and rear racks also locked to the frame. Seat also locked. Everything locked.

My new eBike has a motorcycle alarm system, which will sound a loud, ear-piercing alarm, and also notify me on my phone. I can enter a pin, which will alert the police, and using the GPS on the bike, allow the police to find my eBike, and hopefully get it back. Hopefully, that won't happen.

When I cycle to work, I put my bicycle either in the staff room, or the classroom, depending on which school I work at (I have a different job assignment each day). When I lock up at a store, I try to find the most open spot. At Cost Less, my bicycle is always locked up right next to the front door. Wal-Mart is a problem, because their bicycle rack (the only place I can lock up) is around the corner, not visible to anyone in the store. So, I try to make my bicycle shopping at Wal-Mart very quick.

At Starbucks, I can lock up close, and visible through the window where I sit. Same at McDonald's. Library is a serious problem …. So, I will make sure to have the Alarm app always open, and also get up often to check on my eBike, and I will tell all of the three security guards at the Library to keep an eye on my eBike, when they are outside walking around.

At church, another problem ….. So, I will have to sit in the lobby usually (they have big screens to watch and listen to the service, and I can also watch the full service on my phone).

I'm really concerned about bicycle camping/touring …. because I would really like to do some hiking, but I'm too paranoid to hike very far, so probably will not do much hiking. I will most likely pack everything up when I leave the campsite to go exploring, even if I'm coming back to the same campsite that day, just to be safe. There are serious problems with homeless all over the California campsites, which has caused some campsites to actually close down.

Last edited by vja4Him; 07-25-18 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-18, 05:26 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Excellent question … I have been using the massive and heavy New York Kryptonite Chain Lock, weight around 9+ pounds. I also have two heavy-duty cables with big padlocks. Also, my panniers are locked with cables and more padlocks. My handlebar bag also locked to the frame. My front and rear racks also locked to the frame. Seat also locked. Everything locked.
[SKIP]
At church, another problem ….. So, I will have to sit in the lobby usually (they have big screens to watch and listen to the service, and I can also watch the full service on my phone).

I'm really concerned about bicycle camping/touring …. because I would really like to do some hiking, but I'm too paranoid to hike very far, so probably will not do much hiking. I will most likely pack everything up when I leave the campsite to go exploring, even if I'm coming back to the same campsite that day, just to be safe. There are serious problems with homeless all over the California campsites, which has caused some campsites to actually close down.
Sounds like you are an additional ball and chain for securing your bicycle when you go to church, and will also be chained to your bike on your planned bicycle camping/touring hiking trips.
Old 08-01-18, 09:55 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I got rid of my last car (Dodge Caravan) 10 years ago, in 2008. I got an Electra Townie and rode that for around one year, then got my Surly Long Haul Trucker, which I rode from April, 2009-late 2017..
Congratulations!

i'm way past 10 years myself but if you can stay that long without a car, the next 25 years will be just as easy.
Old 08-07-18, 07:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Touring doesn't necessarily require loading a bike to the gills, even if camping. Plenty of people go UL. Seen many people with minimal setups doing the GDMBR. Some people choose not to cook, which cuts down on the amount of gear one needs. My sleep system (tent, pad and bag) comes in at about 7 lbs. total. If one tours in areas where the weather is consistently warm, no cold weather gear is needed.
Old 08-07-18, 09:44 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Got everything packed yesterday and took my Yuba for a test ride around town. Handles much better with the batteries lower (in the four ammo boxes). My wood box (which can be locked for security) will be for storing my electronics. Still need to add water and food, most which will be in front.

My Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, fully loaded (no water or food yet), ready for camping.
Old 08-07-18, 10:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Got everything packed yesterday and took my Yuba for a test ride around town. Handles much better with the batteries lower (in the four ammo boxes). My wood box (which can be locked for security) will be for storing my electronics. Still need to add water and food, most which will be in front.

My Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, fully loaded (no water or food yet), ready for camping.
When loaded, how far can you travel before needing a recharge? Do you know how long that will take from a standard 110AC source? Is it possible/practical to pedal that load (how heavy is it?) if your batteries run down for any distance or in hilly terrain without knocking yourself out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.