Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bolt Broken in Bottle Boss

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 02:11 PM
Pynchonite

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, 1989 Cannondale ST-400, forthcoming SaltAir Cycles Gravel Bike :D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello, all! I'm trying to refurbish an old Cannondale St-400 frame and one of the down tube bottle cage mounts has part of a bolt stuck in it. I've emptied an entire thing of Phil Wood Bio Lube into it and then tried to back it out with an awl and hammer, but nada. Any other ideas before I have to take a power tool to it? The bolt left a convex nubbin inside the boss, which is both stuck and difficult to get purchase on. Here's a completely unhelpful image of the frame in question and a cute dog. Thanks!
Old 11-11-18, 02:30 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
That should be easy enough to drill out.
Old 11-11-18, 02:32 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
That should be easy enough to drill out.
+1, cautiously, with a left-hand drill bit.
Old 11-11-18, 02:36 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
A good picture would provide more useful advice, but yes. Center-punch it (an automatic punch works best here) and use a small LH drill bit, working up progressively until you can either fit a small EZ out, or it backs itself out.
Old 11-11-18, 03:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have not put the BB in yet so maybe you can screw the stub in more
until it falls through and out the bottom ..

Rusted so much it broke taking it out? use grease next time.

C'dale uses Riv Nuts? You can drill those out and replace the whole thing..

Old 11-11-18, 03:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
This one of the good reasons to have Rivnuts as bosses. You can remove the Rivnut's lip and punch into the frame the rest of the fitting (hopefully to have it rattle out the BB vent hole, if not then glue's your quite friend). Installing a replacement nis easy enough although I like to augment the pressing with epoxy.

BTW I have seen more then a few of these Rivnuts corrode to a bolt and become useless. besides the galvanic issues, often worsened by the electrolyte or acidic nature of sports drinks, too many shops and home wrenches don't bother to put a drop of oil on their cage bolts before installing. The soft nature of many Rivnuts (being AL) make the chance of cross threading too easy too.

This would be the time to check the remaining bosses for their tight fits into the tubes, repressing as needed. Andy
Old 11-11-18, 05:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
following & hoping for pics
Old 11-11-18, 06:01 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
A good picture would provide more useful advice, but yes. Center-punch it (an automatic punch works best here) and use a small LH drill bit, working up progressively until you can either fit a small EZ out, or it backs itself out.
+1 EZ Out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_extractor
- somebody remind me to give wikipedia $5 this year.....
Old 11-11-18, 10:56 PM
Pynchonite

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, 1989 Cannondale ST-400, forthcoming SaltAir Cycles Gravel Bike :D

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!

Have not put the BB in yet so maybe you can screw the stub in more
until it falls through and out the bottom ..

Rusted so much it broke taking it out? use grease next time.

C'dale uses Riv Nuts? You can drill those out and replace the whole thing..
Some important context that I forgot: there's no appreciable opening in either the head tube or bottom bracket shell to fish things out of if they fall into the frame, which is why I wanted to avoid using drills n' such. The frame came with both the down tube bosses messed up, each in its own unique way. Already fixed the other one, but this one's defied me so far. Drill it is. If you hear something like a jingle bell on the road and you turn around and you see a guy on a Cannondale swearing at his down tube, you know who it is. I'll follow up w/ better pics and progress.
Old 11-11-18, 11:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Originally Posted by Pynchonite

Some important context that I forgot: there's no appreciable opening in either the head tube or bottom bracket shell to fish things out of if they fall into the frame, which is why I wanted to avoid using drills n' such. The frame came with both the down tube bosses messed up, each in its own unique way. Already fixed the other one, but this one's defied me so far. Drill it is. If you hear something like a jingle bell on the road and you turn around and you see a guy on a Cannondale swearing at his down tube, you know who it is. I'll follow up w/ better pics and progress.
This is why I mentioned glue. Once the boss if freely floating about in the tube if you can't shake it out through a access hole in the shell (and most I've don could be although some required a lot of effort and needle nose pliers to pull what poke out a bit) then squeezing into the tube, via said hole, some glue is a quieting option. I've used sew up glue, contact cement and epoxy. Get a good amount in there and let the boss settle into the puddle. Andy.
Old 11-12-18, 12:42 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Your workbench looks well stocked enough to own a soldering iron? Warm it up, touch it to the boss rim & use some heat to help loosen the threads.
Old 11-12-18, 07:19 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts

An important reminder: There's no reason not to start by trying to remove the screw. Left-hand drill bits are readily available (singly) from Grainger/McMaster Carr in the USA. If the stub doesn't come out with the drill bit, you can always proceed to a larger bit and take the whole rivnut out.

Just remember to centerpunch the stub, first.
Old 11-12-18, 08:53 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
An important reminder: There's no reason not to start by trying to remove the screw. Left-hand drill bits are readily available (singly) from Grainger/McMaster Carr in the USA. If the stub doesn't come out with the drill bit, you can always proceed to a larger bit and take the whole rivnut out.

Just remember to centerpunch the stub, first.
+1 on the centerpunch. And start by using a small drill to get a guide hole.
Old 11-12-18, 09:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I'm partial to straight fluted screw extractor bits with a proper tap wrench

Old 11-12-18, 10:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Even says what pilot drill hole you need...
Old 11-12-18, 11:27 AM
Pynchonite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya
Your workbench looks well stocked enough to own a soldering iron? Warm it up, touch it to the boss rim & use some heat to help loosen the threads.
That's an interesting idea - made me think of maybe using the heat gun on it. Also, wish I could say that that was my shop. I work at a shop in SLC, UT and someone had abandoned this frame before I started working there. Fixing it up in my spare time to use as a winter trainer. Trying to do one repair on it before each shift. And before someone mentions it, I work opposite the master mechanics, otherwise I'd just ask them for help

Last edited by Pynchonite; 11-12-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 09:51 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Old 11-13-18, 12:03 AM
Tamiya

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That's an interesting idea - made me think of maybe using the heat gun on it.
Heatgun will usually toast the paint around it, no control - shotgun vs sniper rifle.

Some (BUSHMECHANIC) say 1 screw is enough to for bottle cage, ziptie over stuffed hole

if you butcher that hole with failed extraction, some drill it out further & retap for M6 bolt instead
Old 12-02-18, 10:59 PM
Pynchonite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here're some pics. Brought it home. Literally haven't had the time to do anything else to it. After making a light mount for a dynamo light by drilling out a store-bought mount, I'm feeling much more suave with the drill, so we'll see how that goes. Just have to pick up some left-handed bits when I'm by Ace.

Broken bolt lurking within.

The whole shebang.
Old 12-12-18, 02:15 PM
Pynchonite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update: the broken bolt defeated my punch. Broke the tip off it before I could get anything like a recognizable divot made in the top of it. Tried drilling. Broke the bit, which, in hindsight, I should probably have seen coming (it was a 5/64", so not as stout as the punch). Next step? Different punch, maybe?
Old 12-12-18, 02:59 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Try drilling with a left had drill bit, the drill on reverse and there is a chance the bit will hook the remains of the bolt and unscrew it. Roger
Old 12-12-18, 05:40 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
My Irwin Cobalt left hand drill bits are quite strong and useful for correcting this problem.
Old 12-13-18, 01:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Combine several suggestions. Use the lightest oil you can find, even cut it with kerosene and let it soak. Tap in slightly, and warm the tube with a heat gun or hair dryer until warm to the touch, but not ruin the paint. Then if that fails center punch and use a left hand drill or an easy out. Above all be patient.
Old 01-02-19, 01:43 PM
Pynchonite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Success! After a broken punch, a broken drill bit, and a few trips to the hardware store for ever-smaller tap wrenches, I got it out.

Originally Posted by rydabent
Combine several suggestions. Use the lightest oil you can find, even cut it with kerosene and let it soak. Tap in slightly, and warm the tube with a heat gun or hair dryer until warm to the touch, but not ruin the paint. Then if that fails center punch and use a left hand drill or an easy out. Above all be patient.
I used a version of this. Had to step up from a 5/64" bit to a 3/32" bit to get a good center hole and then finished with the 5/64" bit. Dumped a bunch of GT-85 into it before trying the extractor. Re-tapped the boss just to be sure that it was still functional (the bit had jumped around a bit when I broke it). Thanks for all the suggestions/tips/tricks and encouragement! All three bottle cage mounts accounted for!