Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What To Do With Fixed Gear Riders Who Refuse to Put Brakes on Their Bikes?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What To Do With Fixed Gear Riders Who Refuse to Put Brakes on Their Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 11:50 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
I don't really see it as a braking issue. I push longboards (big skatebord) around town at 7mph average. I have to foot brake like the Flintstones with one foot. Or just step off of the thing. No problems using due caution. It's the people who ride bikes like idiots AND only have rear wheel braking who cause the trouble. I could have all of the fixie skills in the world but I need two brakes that really work, or I would have to temper my riding style. Two good brakes really opens the door to taking lots of chances, knowing the danged bike is really going to stop, not skid. On wet streets I chill out.

Yes, I have seen many alleycat race videos where fixed riders show some amazing control at high speeds. Tough to make laws that pertain to mortals and super heroes the same.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-18-18 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 02:43 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
By who's reckoning?

-Tim-
I volunteer weekly at a high-throughput bike Co-op on a west coast city that used to be a ground zero for the fixie-thing during the '00s. Almost every steel-framed vintage road bike in a 3 million large metro area was absorbed by this fad - to feed conversions.

Whatever: the amount of fixies we see now is dramatically dropped off. Maybe it is a Darwinian thing; my theory is the folks who have a deep-seated need to be 'different' or 'counterculture' have moved on. These are folks that define themselves as being unique from the norm (for whatever odd psychological reason), so of course when everyone was on a fixie, and then later when you could buy a $200 'fixie' at X*Mart, the whole trend imploded.

A lot of these folks are now on longboards, weaving through pedestrians on sidewalks, and reeking havoc in busy bike lanes. Or urban cruising on smooth pavement on 50-pound full-suspension mountain bikes with 3" knobby tires. So whatever is the most dangerous and inefficient solution - go figure.
Old 11-18-18, 03:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I just find old bikes like and those tend to have a spot for a tank. But I trick them out, all the accessories that were available from the maker or I Rat a bit. I was born with an antique mind, mom found it in a secondhand store.

I like coaster brakes, no cables to snap.
Old 11-19-18, 04:20 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Rider skill trumps equipment almost every time.

Sure there are extreme examples to the contrary, even still, if this became a real menace, it would eventually self correct.

Poorly skilled riders and motorists usually have the odds stacked against them.

With experience, most people can take precautions to avoid unskilled and/or under equipped road users.

I've never seen a fixed gear rider crash, a few close calls, compared to normal road hazards I face, its insignificant.
Old 11-19-18, 07:03 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If you want OPINIONS from a bunch of old farts who never rode fixed, no brakes - you came to the right place.
I was tempted to respond to this, given that I'm an old guy who's never ridden a fixie and has no desire to, but thought that in the interest of observing BF traditions, I should maybe post pictures of my bike, talk about the time I rode faster than someone else, how ridiculous people are who don't ride like me, and, of course, Trump.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-19-18, 08:15 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If you REALLY want to learn something, post this on the Single Speed and Fixed Gear Forum.

If you want OPINIONS from a bunch of old farts who never rode fixed, no brakes - you came to the right place.

I'm gunna sit this one out for a bit.
As an "old fart" who rides fixed gear all the time, I'm tempted to point out that fixed gear WITH brakes is just a more flexible configuration that includes fixed gear NO brakes. Just don't use your brakes and you've got it. But I don't really care if some other adult wants to ride with no brakes.
Old 11-19-18, 10:02 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
As an "old fart" who rides fixed gear all the time, I'm tempted to point out that fixed gear WITH brakes is just a more flexible configuration that includes fixed gear NO brakes. Just don't use your brakes and you've got it. But I don't really care if some other adult wants to ride with no brakes.
You likely know that riding fixed in traffic was a bike messenger's answer to thieves and cost overhead. A "track bike" is the simplest possible machine with only drive-train and tires to wear out. Also less stuff to get stripped off of a bike as well. For the few parts they have, messengers would epoxy a ball bearing inside the head of each hex bolt to prevent easy access with a multi tool to stems, handlebars, pedals, etc.

Eventually, this fixie thing became a style that non-messengers copied, and this is when most of the trouble and controversy started about "no" brakes. Amateurs mis-using a tool designed for a very specific set of circumstances by professionals.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-19-18 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 10:09 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You likely know that riding fixed in traffic was a bike messenger's answer to thieves and cost overhead. A "track bike" is the simplest possible machine with only drive-train and tires to wear out. Also less stuff to get stripped off of a bike as well. For the few parts they have, messengers would epoxy a ball bearing inside the head of each hex bolt to prevent easy access with a multi tool to stems, handlebars, pedals, etc.

Eventually, this fixie thing became a style that non-messengers copied, and this is when most of the trouble and controversy started about "no" brakes. Amateurs mis-using a tool.
Works that way for commuting too Though we don't care that much that we have to replace pads every now and again.