Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Data Proves Cyclists Faster In Cities Than Cars | FORBES

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Data Proves Cyclists Faster In Cities Than Cars | FORBES

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 11:35 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Delivery guys leave their lights on and illuminated to indicate they'll be right back.

How do you figure pedal cyclists are faster than e-bike riders?

How do you figure delivery guys are out of shape? The ones I see are not. They are very tough.
I'm surprised you didn't realize I was being very tongue in cheek. But I wasn't really thinking of delivery riders. Nor did I say pedal bikes are faster, I said 'as fast'. IOW more has to do with rider skill than with sheer speed potential in a place like NYC. If you have the stones to do really sideways stuff you can turn in a shorter ETA on either craft. I personally don't have an issue with e-bikes but your city administration sure seems to in a big way.
Old 11-14-18, 11:39 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Take a look at the AVERAGE speed over whatever time span has elapsed. It will be, or VERY close to 17.5 mph. This is regardless of whether you live in the city or the burbs.
That is a really good average speed anywhere except during a race. I know delivery people have the "time is money" clock in their heads, but 17mph in a city grid is amazing. I spend a lot of time near 20mph but my average is 13-15 mph at best. And I am impatient, not a delivery guy. I also strive to keep up or stay ahead of motorized traffic when not gridlocked. Drafting cars may be involved up to 30mph for a few seconds.

Yeah, 17.5 average is impressive.
Old 11-14-18, 12:24 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
That is a really good average speed anywhere except during a race. I know delivery people have the "time is money" clock in their heads, but 17mph in a city grid is amazing. I spend a lot of time near 20mph but my average is 13-15 mph at best. And I am impatient, not a delivery guy. I also strive to keep up or stay ahead of motorized traffic when not gridlocked. Drafting cars may be involved up to 30mph for a few seconds.

Yeah, 17.5 average is impressive.
The 17.5 average is for cars! All cars. Check your own GPS.
Old 11-14-18, 12:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I'd have to say location makes a huge difference.

For riding around Eugene/Springfield, cars beat me just about every time, except for perhaps a few blocks in the center of the cities.

Get out to the suburbs, and cars are frequently moving 40+ MPH... no way I can come close. I also generally avoid running red lights that are on a timer and will eventually turn green.

Both myself, and my mother live 8 to 10 miles outside of the city center. It is about 15 minutes by car, and 1/2 hour to 1 hour by bike.

Parking was mentioned. For the most part, not a big deal for cars around here. It is often safe enough to simply leave a car unlocked, but with auto locks on cars, one can stop and run. On the bike, there is digging out the lock. Stripping lights, phones, etc off the bike. Remounting safety gear, etc. I'd say I'm at a definite disadvantage with parking.

Even when I go up to the "big city", Portland, there are a few downhill blocks in downtown that I can do quite well keeping up with cars, but I struggle with climbing back up those hills getting out of downtown, and once out of the downtown area, cars just fly past me.
Old 11-14-18, 12:45 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Ah. I missed that detail.

I only GPS track my skating data (3170 miles last year). Since my bike is my car, it's just too much trouble tracking all that every time. But I can assure you, my average even on my best day was less than 17.5mph. I could rarely average 20mph in a 10-mile time trial on a road bike. Always 19.X with few exceptions. I concede that award to the car you mentioned.
Old 11-14-18, 01:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I used to figure a 15 mph average for commuting miles. naturally it varied depending on ... everything, from weather to traffic to fatigue, but I never got there late figuring 15 mph across the city. But .... some days I had to ride a lot farther, and i bet 15 would have been optimistic for all the rides of that day.
Old 11-14-18, 02:37 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Any credible reference or is this alleged factoid the product of more of your cryptic tongue-in-cheek figuring?
Old 11-14-18, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
It's funny that so many are faster riding home than into work. I'm the opposite, and that's even with heavier headwinds in the morning.

I usually ride my bike with dynamo lights, and they are bolted on, so that saves time. And I rarely lock it up. I usually bring it into my office. When I lock up the bike, I do remove my saddlebag and anything else not bolted on, so that takes a little time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-18, 03:27 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
@Hoopdriver, some laws that cyclists break don't serve anyone, so I think the data is still valid. And I said "some" laws, not all. I'm not advocating mayhem, but when I consider that no one is hurt if I stop at a red light and then proceed if no one is there, I see nothing wrong with it. I am not only safe, but I am careful not to rattle anyone's nerves.
Yes, I understand this and routinely skirt the letter of the law under some conditions using quite a bit of judgement. T

The study did use a significant amount of data, which is good; however it does not support the the strong headline statement "Bikes are faster" for the reasons I mentioned in my post. I guess I could state that I am faster walking than in my car because I it takes me less time on foot to get to the attic of my garage.
Old 11-14-18, 04:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I'm surprised you didn't realize I was being very tongue in cheek.
This happens all the time. I was born with a defective joke detector.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-14-18, 04:22 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Any credible reference or is this alleged factoid the product of more of your cryptic tongue-in-cheek figuring?
Have you checked you GPS yet?
Old 11-14-18, 04:55 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
You’re kidding, right? YOU must provide the link that they won’t believe, because?

-mr. bill
Old 11-14-18, 06:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Is "you GPS" where your figuring came from about the average speed of all cars? Or is that too also tongue in cheek?
Old 11-15-18, 06:03 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
That's cool. I never thought of checking that. I always assumed that my evening commute is quicker than my morning commute because I'm more motivated.
LOL... at one time my commute was uphill, both ways... I had to go down into a valley, and then up the other side.
Old 11-15-18, 06:13 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Is "you GPS" where your figuring came from about the average speed of all cars? Or is that too also tongue in cheek?
Does your ancient Hupmobile have an electronic odometer and or GPS? If so, check the accumulated average speed, tell us what it says.
Old 11-15-18, 06:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Not quite sure what everyone is debating here ... oh, sorry, it is BF.

The results of any experiment are valid only within the context of the experiment (see: Scientific Method.) Within the precise limits of this experiment the results of this experiment are absolutely valid.

However, unless the rest of us are delivery riders in NYC, the results don't apply.

Simple.
Old 11-15-18, 06:32 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
The results are valid, they simply aren't especially enlightening.
Old 11-15-18, 09:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
Does your ancient Hupmobile have an electronic odometer and or GPS? If so, check the accumulated average speed, tell us what it says.
And would you, like Leisesturm, deduce that that tidbit of data would confirm or deny his weird/fabricated claim that 17.5 mph is the average overall speed for all cars?

BTW how did you determine from your odometer or GPS your own, let alone everybody else's, average speed for all your/their driving experiences? Did you punch in and out on an old fashioned time card, or use a stop watch function on a high tech electronic gizmo, every time you entered/exited your motorized vehicles for every trip?
Old 11-15-18, 09:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Jeez, guys, enough. The acrimony is not enlightening.

Old 11-15-18, 10:13 AM
Leisesturm

And would you, like Leisesturm, deduce that that tidbit of data would confirm or deny his weird/fabricated claim that 17.5 mph is the average overall speed for all cars?

BTW how did you determine from your odometer or GPS your own, let alone everybody else's, average speed for all your/their driving experiences? Did you punch in and out on an old fashioned time card, or use a stop watch function on a high tech electronic gizmo, every time you entered/exited your motorized vehicles for every trip?
If you can't, or won't bother to check your GPS your obvious skepticsm is unwarranted. My guess is that others have and have not found my observations regardless of how I came by them to be baseless. As to how unenlightening it is ... well this was a discussion about speed through town ... car vs bike at that. I don't know but I would think its ALL about 'moving average' in that context.
Old 11-15-18, 11:13 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

If you can't, or won't bother to check your GPS your obvious skepticsm is unwarranted.
I must not have any speed, average or otherwise, in my travels since I don't have a GPS in/on my car, bike or person.

Tell you what, you can send me a "you GPS" and I will be able to determine the average moving speed of all cars! just like you have, and the conclusion will be just as accurate as your ludicrous guesswork.
Old 11-15-18, 11:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Jeez, guys, enough. The acrimony is not enlightening.
Acrimony? Nope, just a request for enlightenment about the source, especially method of data collection of quantitative data reported as facts about car travel on this thread.

I recognize that some posters would prefer to have nobody challenge posted questionable claims/factoids that agree with their own beliefs or sacred cows.
Old 11-15-18, 11:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I believe an interesting and thread related comparison of speed related averages would be average total time spent on bicycle commuting trips of moderate length (arbitrarily set at 3-10 miles one way) when done in relaxed mode on lower priced bicycles vis-à-vis the same trips done in maximum effort or training mode on higher end light weight bikes with associated bicycling specific clothing/"kit". Average commute time would include bicycle preparation time as well as showering/change of clothing, bicycle security procedures.

Of course such data collection would require a suitable stop watch and pencil and notepad to record the time elapsed from beginning of commute preparation as well as arrival, ready for work, at work desk, factory/sales floor or other work site.

Each person's collected data, no matter how accurately recorded, would only apply to themselves, any extrapolation to others would have little if any validity.
Old 11-15-18, 12:20 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
My car is 2.5 years old and had 4 miles on it when I bought it. I reset the average speed and it is 33 mph from the time I bought it.

Takes me 48 minutes to ride to work. 12 minutes by car.

I'll be honest, I don't live near a big city and don't drive into the city to go to work. I would have to go through town on a bike.
Old 11-15-18, 02:34 PM
Leisesturm

Acrimony? Nope, just a request for enlightenment about the source, especially method of data collection of quantitative data reported as facts about car travel on this thread.

I recognize that some posters would prefer to have nobody challenge posted questionable claims/factoids that agree with their own beliefs or sacred cows.
I like you better when you don't dig in on unintended generalizations that do nothing to blunt the bigger point!! Of course the 'factoid' doesn't apply to EVERY car but it does apply to MOST cars driven in URBAN/SUBURBAN areas that see a mix of grid, freeway and parking lot movement. It is NOT my own conclusion based on looking at MY GPS and going "oh gee golly whiz this must apply to every single car made because MY GPS says ..." give me some credit. Google 'hypermiling" when you have some time. 17.5 mph is agreed by a majority of hypermilers (full disclosure: I am not a hypermiler) as the speed that, when maintained regardless of posted speeds, results in an ETA not much different from those who slavishly maintain (or exceed) posted maximums. This is done to extend tire life, brake pad life, gasoline economy, rarely to increase safety. Hypermilers are usually driving safe enough SUV's or large pickups that the drivers cannot afford to operate. Again, not MY 'factoid' at all but when I come up behind one on a two lane without a passing lane for two more miles I am affected by the dissemination of 'factoids' online. I'm not sure why you are so exercised in the present instance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.