Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

At Least One Honest Driver

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 07:01 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...14-p50fza.html

She at least took responsibility and admitted she was in the wrong. It would have been easy to blame other circumstances or even the cyclist.
Old 11-15-18, 01:16 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
With a guilty plea and genuine remorse I wouldn't be surprised if she avoided jail time.
Old 11-15-18, 02:07 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
With a guilty plea and genuine remorse I wouldn't be surprised if she avoided jail time.
Certainly what the driver is counting on.
Old 11-15-18, 02:24 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Drivers and cyclists will all be better off when autonomous cars are standard.
Old 11-15-18, 04:49 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Modern cars and modern lifestyles are set up for distraction. The driver was completely in the wrong no doubt, but the playing field is very slanted against the average person's ability to resist temptation. Since she came clean and shows remorse, she could do a lot of good in a community service capacity and zero good in jail. A deal could be worked out where the motorist could tell her story in high schools and civic groups in an attempt to change a few minds about safety and driving. Maybe serve time on weekends, visit schools on weekdays. Or report to jail every evening and get a reduced sentence. I know this kind of deal exists. She isn't a violent offender. Her life is ruined. Her victim's survivors are heartbroken. Why not try to squeeze some good from all of that loss?
Old 11-15-18, 04:52 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Carjacker stock will go through the roof for sure. I mean...what if I WANT to run over somebody?? My wife tried (and failed) to run over a dude who attacked her in her car. But it wasn't the car's fault. Dude jumped some hedges and a fence.
Old 11-15-18, 07:51 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
That is a good 20 years away. Even if the technology is perfected today, the typical middle class American won't be able to afford one for a long time.
Old 11-15-18, 09:14 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
It's unfortunate that while this story may catch the attention of other drivers anywhere around the world, they will continue about their own version of distracted driving because they are so good at it.

In Toronto, we had a case where a bottle of water rolled around a driver's feet. While he was trying to get the bottle, he jumped the curb and killed a pedestrian waiting for the bus. He was acquitted. Regardless of all the details in the trial, the bottom line was that, in my interpretation, that bottle of water was worth more than the life of a pedestrian.

Of course the drivers were sorry. They're always sorry after the fact.
Old 11-16-18, 09:28 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Daniel4
It's unfortunate that while this story may catch the attention of other drivers anywhere around the world, they will continue about their own version of distracted driving because they are so good at it.

In Toronto, we had a case where a bottle of water rolled around a driver's feet. While he was trying to get the bottle, he jumped the curb and killed a pedestrian waiting for the bus. He was acquitted. Regardless of all the details in the trial, the bottom line was that, in my interpretation, that bottle of water was worth more than the life of a pedestrian.

Of course the drivers were sorry. They're always sorry after the fact.
So what does "Failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle" - resulting in death - get a person, legally speaking?

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-16-18 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-16-18, 10:48 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I am not in favor of jailing people for such offenses. If we can keep a productive taxpaying member of society a productive taxpaying member of society rather than having them become a huge financial burden, then we should. I am in favor of revoking driving privileges for a significant period of time. I mean a PAINFULLY long period of time.
Old 11-16-18, 12:26 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am not in favor of jailing people for such offenses. If we can keep a productive taxpaying member of society a productive taxpaying member of society rather than having them become a huge financial burden, then we should. I am in favor of revoking driving privileges for a significant period of time. I mean a PAINFULLY long period of time.
That does not work, they just keep driving.
There are two people who live within a mile of me who kept driving while revoked. One (a multiple drunk hit&run motorist) would drive 2 blocks to the store and back.

If they have to forfeit the car they are driving each time they get caught, then it will have an impact.
Old 11-16-18, 04:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
That does not work, they just keep driving.
There are two people who live within a mile of me who kept driving while revoked. One (a multiple drunk hit&run motorist) would drive 2 blocks to the store and back.

If they have to forfeit the car they are driving each time they get caught, then it will have an impact.
And of course, good citizens should video the infractions and report them to the police, if they really want to be good citizens and help make society a better place.
Old 11-16-18, 09:05 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Maelochs
And of course, good citizens should video the infractions and report them to the police, if they really want to be good citizens and help make society a better place.
And when good citizens like myself do video it and report it but the police do nothing?

Former Honolulu Chief of Police and his Assistant Attorney General wife are both on trial for stealing from and then framing their relatives.

Have video of a violent homeless man who camps on the Pearl Harbor Bike Path. Reported him for punching his girl friend in the face over 3 times; police only talked to him, no arrest. Have video of him flipping off cyclist on the path, reported with video to councilman and police over a month ago. He is still camping in the same place despite a specific law and easement agreement requirement that mandates the city not allow such camping by anyone.

Last edited by CB HI; 11-17-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 01:37 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
this is Australia, we HAVE that been law over a decade

​​​​​​​https://www.police.vic.gov.au/conten...ument_id=32184
Old 11-17-18, 08:45 AM
SBinNYC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
It's a long way off. At present the collision rate for autonomous vehicles is about 20 times that of human driven vehicles. In particular, autonomous vehicles have a difficult time reacting to bicyclists and pedestrians. One proposed solution has been to ban pedestrians and bicyclists. Please make sure there's a place for bicyclists and pedestrians in your vision of the future.
Old 11-17-18, 10:12 AM
astrodust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...14-p50fza.html

She at least took responsibility and admitted she was in the wrong. It would have been easy to blame other circumstances or even the cyclist.

stories like this definetly make me try to take the responsibility of driving very serious. I've caused one accident in the 30 some years I've been driving, and it happened because I was distracted.
Old 11-18-18, 09:11 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by astrodust
stories like this definetly make me try to take the responsibility of driving very serious. I've caused one accident in the 30 some years I've been driving, and it happened because I was distracted.
Driving without distractions is nearly impossible. It's managing the distractions that makes the difference. I am prone to migraines. I am nowhere near as sharp when I have a headache. So for me headaches are a distraction. Even the road signs we need to get to where we are going are distractions. Around here there are school zone signs without flashing lights. The time periods posted on the signs are so small that I really have to study them closely to read them. I work for the government. I draw a lot of different vehicles from the motor pool. Of course all the controls are in different places, so it takes a while to learn them. My latest car was a Fusion Hybrid. Between the steering wheel and the right side of the console there were nearly 70 buttons or controls. Sometimes I eat on the road. When I do a drive through, I emphasize "NO TOMATO" I had a close call one day getting the tomato out of my way. My ability to hear where noises come from is not as good as it used to be. When I hear a horn, I take a look about to see if was a warning for me. I could go on and on, but distractions are a part of driving. Managing those distractions and eliminating unnecessary distractions is what matters.
Old 11-19-18, 02:01 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
So what does "Failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle" - resulting in death - get a person, legally speaking?
Victorian Sentencing Manual

Up to ten years by the looks of it.
Old 11-19-18, 03:42 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by JonnyHK
Victorian Sentencing Manual

Up to ten years by the looks of it.
This is very BF-like:

On 30 May 2016 the Court of Appeal stated that current sentences for dangerous driving causing death were inadequate and should be increased – Stephens [2016] VSCA 121.
Old 11-19-18, 10:16 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
...One proposed solution has been to ban pedestrians and bicyclists. Please make sure there's a place for bicyclists and pedestrians in your vision of the future.
It's already happened in one neighbourhood in Toronto. But it's to do with priority of bad drivers over residences. The incident occurred when a driver cutting through a neighbourhood to by-pass a traffic light of a nearby intersection (as a lot of non-local traffic does there) jumped a curb and killed a boy returning home from school via a pedestrian walkway connecting the school to his home.

The city's response was to close down the walkway with nothing being done about the non-local traffic cutting through.

Last edited by Daniel4; 11-20-18 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 11:14 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Then only driverless cars will cause havoc and...

Umm. Let's stick to the real and now reality for now.