Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Horrible Crash Into Cycling Group Broward County

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Horrible Crash Into Cycling Group Broward County

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 07:17 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Being "blinded by the sun" should not be a defense against charges of vehicular homicide.
Look at the shadows.
Old 11-26-18, 07:41 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not if you don't look. There is actually video of moments after the incident ... which is what i said.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/west...6959528393216/
I ditched Facebook years ago. But in some of the still pics posted her the sun reflecting off the bent roof of the car and one of the headlights looks dead on from ahead. And you don't have to be looking into the ORB of the sun for there to be a ton of glare on the windscreen. The Eastbound track of Highway 84 is nearly directly into the low Winter rising sun. Even at Noon, the sun would only be 43° above the horizon. Less than half of straight overhead.

"I was blinded by the sun" has been a positive defense against both arrest for criminal homicide as well as against prosecution for same and similar charges. It is also a statement that almost always serves to exonerate a driver in the eyes of the vast majority of the driving public.
I am more concerned about all of the cyclists who haven't been run over yet learning something important about their safety. It is also difficult to convict some sober person of "negligent homicide" when they hit someone who the rest of the world believes were acting in a reckless, careless manner playing with their toys on a busy highway. It's unfortunate, but not murder in anyone's court. Distraction is not a leg to stand on because every person in the courtroom, including the jury, play with their stupid phones behind the wheel and do not see that as a crime of any sort. Laws won't help the damaged cyclists at this point.

Now if the driver was drunk or loaded....that's a different story. If sober - she hit people by accident who should not have been there, in the opinion of 100% of non-cyclists.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-26-18 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 07:49 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
You don't need Facebook to see this video. Sun was not a factor in the cyclists being run down. Not enough glare in this video as the camera pans through a car windshield mere seconds after the impact to even cause the photo-sensor to adjust. It was a lie, a lie accepted by police and most of society. As motorists we accept death of others for our own convenience, this has been known for decades.

Old 11-26-18, 08:34 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

The shadow lines run almost directly perpendicular to the direction of travel. Sun was NOT a factor.
Old 11-26-18, 08:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

That still directly above tells the story. Looking directly down the roadway the sun is out of the picture. That is the view the driver had. Unless the driver was going out of her way to stare directly into the sun in between bouts of licking her window, the sun was NOT a factor.
Old 11-26-18, 08:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The shadow lines run almost directly perpendicular to the direction of travel. Sun was NOT a factor.
The orb does not have to be dead center in your windshield to get a ton of glare. Glare is caused by the sun hitting a piece of glass at an angle. Glare IS sunlight. Or perhaps the driver looked briefly directly into the sun trying to read a road sign and still had a retinal lingering image. Or maybe she was tying her shoe and not looking up front at all and is lying about the sun. I believe the sun was hitting her windshield and COULD have easily affected her ability to see the right fog line, since the sun is over that side of the wall. It is STILL hitting the windshield of the smashed car in the still photo above. And the passenger side headlamp. And the hood where a hood ornament would be.

Many will agree the sun was a factor, the woman admitted distraction as well, and that was a dumb place to ride a bike. Even avid cyclists might agree to the last part. Cyclists won't be on a jury if it goes that far.
Old 11-26-18, 08:58 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
The orb does not have to be dead center in your windshield to get a ton of glare. Glare is caused by the sun hitting a piece of glass at an angle. Glare IS sunlight. Or perhaps the driver looked briefly directly into the sun trying to read a road sign and still had a retinal lingering image. Or maybe she was tying her shoe and not looking up front at all and is lying about the sun. I believe the sun was hitting her windshield and COULD have easily affected her ability to see the right fog line, since the sun is over that side of the wall. It is STILL hitting the windshield of the smashed car in the still photo above. And the passenger side headlamp. And the hood where a hood ornament would be.

Many will agree the sun was a factor, the woman admitted distraction as well, and that was a dumb place to ride a bike. Even avid cyclists might agree to the last part. Cyclists won't be on a jury if it goes that far.
Joey, I drive a variety of vehicles to the tune of about 50,000 miles per year and I have for the past 6 years. On almost every work day I am on the road at sunrise. There was ONE time that the sun hit my glass as I turned east onto West Napoleon right at sunrise that I literally could not see. That was only because there was still quite a bit of moisture on my glass. Guess what, I stopped. I didn't keep plowing on. The sun at the angle above the earth that it was at that hour and the angle to the road could not have possible obscured the bicyclists from the idiot car driver. Zero chance. The sun could have hit a glossy surface in her car and reflected into her eyes. That has happened to me. It is easy to correct the issue by using your hand. It is not enough to cause an otherwise attentive motorist to not see a pack of bicycles on a long straight road. The sun was not an issue. It was an excuse. It was a lame excuse offered by an idiot who should never be allowed to drive again. Ever.
Old 11-26-18, 10:44 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
...There was ONE time that the sun hit my glass as I turned east onto West Napoleon right at sunrise that I literally could not see. That was only because there was still quite a bit of moisture on my glass. Guess what, I stopped. I didn't keep plowing on....
You are not a "normal" motorist. Good for you.

This is how "normal" people drive in sub-par conditions: Fog suspected in 100-vehicle Texas wrecks that claim at least two lives. Source (2012)

A good idea is to NOT be cycling around "normal" motorists on/near busy highways even on the best of days. I know 13 people who likely won't argue and one who definitely wont. At least pick routes with low probability of high-speed road users getting blinded/distracted with little time to react. If making a living finds me on a bad stretch of road during a bike commute, and this is the best I can do, then so be it. Limiting the more dangerous routes on our leisure bike rides, to reduce exposure to "normal" high speed motorists, might be a prudent A&S technique.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-26-18 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 10:58 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
You don't need Facebook to see this video. Sun was not a factor in the cyclists being run down. Not enough glare in this video as the camera pans through a car windshield mere seconds after the impact to even cause the photo-sensor to adjust. It was a lie, a lie accepted by police and most of society. As motorists we accept death of others for our own convenience, this has been known for decades.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqnR-qFlLly/

Gives new meaning to the word, carnage.

What a nasty crash.

The potential speed differential between cyclists and motorists on that roadway is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-26-18, 11:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
As for the sun being a factor ... people can argue all they want, but the still photo, taken from within a vehicle, shows Exactly what the driver saw ... and there is no glare. Again, people who need to keep arguing theory because they are not big enough to say, "oops, i got that one wrong," simply need to grow up.

Also, none of the other drivers on the road at the same time, heading in the same direction, hit the cyclists.

Could it be that the driver was distracted by something in the car and drifted over a few feet?

Well ... the driver has already admitted to the first part and the second part is attested to by the broken bikes and bodies .... I don;'t care if someone gets diagrams from a 'science" website .. . Science involves studying the actual information, not the theory, to see if the theory is supported by the facts. Looking up the theory and then denying facts which disprove it is the opposite of science.

it's funny ... if I point out even the slightest thing the cyclist did wrong, i get a chorus of "yeah, blame the victim" howls from the ignorant. In this case, when the cyclists made no error and the driver admitted to being distracted, i point this out and I get a chorus of "Sure, blame the killer."

Ain't life at BF grand.
Old 11-26-18, 11:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
She drove her car in such a manner she collided with stuff. She was negligent in the responsibilities of her license. Plain & simple. That somebody died due to her actions means she is a murderer.

...but she is a driver. Though the proper charges are probably negligent homicide, I have my doubts she'll even be charged at all.
Murder is an act with intent. It would have to be proven that she set out to kill the cyclists. Manslaughter and vehicular assault are two of the charges she could face, reckless or negligent driving is another.

But murder is like 'free speech'. People just don't understand where either fit in.
Old 11-27-18, 08:26 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Murder is an act with intent. It would have to be proven that she set out to kill the cyclists. Manslaughter and vehicular assault are two of the charges she could face, reckless or negligent driving is another.

But murder is like 'free speech'. People just don't understand where either fit in.
Vehicular homicide would likely be the most she'd be charged with, but that would be a real stretch in Florida since they would have to prove "willful or wanton disregard for safety". The description of the incident and her actions don't fall within that definition as commonly interpreted in Florida. There are no aggravating factors that would get a jury to buy into that. She won't walk free, but she won't get charged with a felony, I'll bet. She's likely to get hit a lot harder in civil court than in criminal court since there's no intent, and no willful and wanton disregard for safety.

https://www.floridabar.org/news/tfb-...256ADB005D6187
Old 11-27-18, 09:39 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

As for the sun being a factor ... people can argue all they want, but the still photo, taken from within a vehicle, shows Exactly what the driver saw ... and there is no glare. Again, people who need to keep arguing theory because they are not big enough to say, "oops, i got that one wrong," simply need to grow up.
Any "still" photo representing a vehicle moving at 45-60mph is out of context. Was she looking directly into the sun FIVE seconds earlier. The road seems to be curving as well. And...the cop in charge said that the sun angle is brutal RIGHT THERE on that particular highway and has been responsible for other accidents in the past.

When the driver admits she was lying, I will happily admit I was wrong. Maybe she was speeding - crash forensics will figure that out. She admitted distraction. So that is clear. Motorists are distracted all the time. Nothing new there. Why would she lie about the sun if she admitted distraction? On a sunny day. On a roadway that is KNOWN for blinding motorists.
Old 11-27-18, 10:19 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
I'll admit my bias right here & now. You got me with the "intent" bit. Nevertheless, she broke the law egrigiously, breaking laws is a crime, therefore she was criminally negligent. Negligent homicide is probably the correct charge. No, I'm no lawyer or anything, but I really don't see a difference between this and involuntary manslaughter. Maybe it's a state legal definition thing. But in my mind failure to plan is planning to fail. She murdered through ignorance, disregard, entitlment.

Originally Posted by Rollfast

Old 11-27-18, 10:45 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I'll admit my bias right here & now. You got me with the "intent" bit. Nevertheless, she broke the law egrigiously, breaking laws is a crime, therefore she was criminally negligent. Negligent homicide is probably the correct charge. No, I'm no lawyer or anything, but I really don't see a difference between this and involuntary manslaughter. Maybe it's a state legal definition thing. But in my mind failure to plan is planning to fail. She murdered through ignorance, disregard, entitlment.
I'll be surprised if she gets charged with any kind of felony.

One glaring take-away from this tragedy for me is NEVER ADMIT ANYTHING to the investigating cops. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
Old 11-27-18, 11:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I hold the driver blameless. The cyclists knew the risks .. . there simply weren't fast enough to keep up with auto traffic and were therefore necessarily being impediments.

Roads are for cars, we all know that.

Also, in a situation where a driver cannot see, the driver cannot just slow down, look away from the glare, and find landmarks to make sure s/he remains in the lane of travel. Drivers are busy enough.

One thing we know, drivers never lie. if a driver says the entire train of cyclists rode deliberately in front of her SUV, then they did.

Besides, the cyclists were all wearing skin-tight shorts. they were obviously asking for it.

And that is all I have to say about certain posters here.

Look, up in the sky!!!

Oh, never mind, it was just all the relevant points going by, but you missed them.
Old 11-27-18, 11:37 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Besides, the cyclists were all wearing skin-tight shorts. they were obviously asking for it.
We agree on something.

Maybe the driver got horrified "Target Fixation" on all those sausage-cased arses.

"You have probably seen this all-too-familiar scenario play out during a race or even experienced it yourself: A rider crashes or rides off the track, and the following rider—seemingly mesmerized by the drama unfolding in front—follows the errant rider right off the track. The phenomenon is commonly referred to as target fixation and can be a huge problem for riders on the street just as much as on the racetrack."

I have not heard this theory expressed yet. It's possible she was just too embarrassed to admit to "arse fixation".

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-27-18 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-27-18, 12:04 PM
Spoonrobot 

It's already been established that the time of the accident and the analema of the sun preclude the sun having been in her eyes - or causing windshield glare - as the cause of the accident. She hit those cyclists because she was distracted by something in the passenger compartment - most likely an item in the glovebox. Reaching over to the right far enough to access the glovebox, even in a small car, often leads to swerving to the right. Which is exactly what happened here.

As someone who has lived in New Orleans for a very long time you must know that police press conferences are equal parts politicking and placating and almost never about disseminating pertinent facts.

"The sun was in her eyes" - Public reaction: oh what a shame, such a terrible accident.
"She was drunk" - Public reaction: death penalty, please.

Miami is closer to 25 degrees so the sun would have been even more southeast. The police officer may have been correct that the sun is extremely bright and blinding in that area at that time of day - during another time of the year when it was closer to rising due E and not around ~33 degrees SE of due E. On the date the accident took place the sun would not have been rising due E and would not have been able to provide enough glare to be an issue. This was 100% a distraction incident on a clear, long, flat, straight road with good sight-lines. Criminal negligence for sure, whether society decides to hold the driver accountable for that remains to be seen.

Old 11-27-18, 01:14 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
It's already been established that the time of the accident and the analema of the sun preclude the sun having been in her eyes - or causing windshield glare - as the cause of the accident. She hit those cyclists because she was distracted by something in the passenger compartment - most likely an item in the glovebox. Reaching over to the right far enough to access the glovebox, even in a small car, often leads to swerving to the right. Which is exactly what happened here.

As someone who has lived in New Orleans for a very long time you must know that police press conferences are equal parts politicking and placating and almost never about disseminating pertinent facts.

"The sun was in her eyes" - Public reaction: oh what a shame, such a terrible accident.
"She was drunk" - Public reaction: death penalty, please.

Miami is closer to 25 degrees so the sun would have been even more southeast. The police officer may have been correct that the sun is extremely bright and blinding in that area at that time of day - during another time of the year when it was closer to rising due E and not around ~33 degrees SE of due E. On the date the accident took place the sun would not have been rising due E and would not have been able to provide enough glare to be an issue. This was 100% a distraction incident on a clear, long, flat, straight road with good sight-lines. Criminal negligence for sure, whether society decides to hold the driver accountable for that remains to be seen.
Thanks for the diagrams. I asked for that days ago. No way was the sun a factor from what I see but then I wear glasses and skin tight shorts when riding. 47 miles today in 15mph + winds.
Old 11-27-18, 01:52 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Sadly, a second cyclist, Carlos Rodriguez, has died.
I don't want this to become a shouting match, but the Broward cycling group involved in the crash was riding double-file. Because of distracted, visually-impaired, drunk or belligerent drivers, I would like to urge cyclists, solo or otherwise, to ride single-file, and as far to the right as you can get. I think it also would have helped this group (and all groups) to adopt and enforce a strict policy of keeping at least seven feet between bicycles during the ride.
The satellite image of the crash site on State Road 84 shows a shoulder about 14" wide. Just enough for one bicycle. When disaster or safety are decided in a matter of 2 to 3 inches, I think we all want to be to the side of, instead of in front of, any errant or violent driver. If the car had sideswiped this group, then perhaps some riders would have been thrown into the grass.
At the risk of sounding controversial, I feel it necessary to recommend that all of us (including myself) think more defensively.
Old 11-27-18, 02:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Here is a map of the official spot of the accident. Car was traveling ESE at the time according to this. See the red pin. Source.

Here is a video from the now deceased 2nd cyclist on his Facebook page which illustrates this group is used to riding at least two abreast across most of the travel lane. You can see this video at the Source link above as well. Plenty of science and charts on this thread to verify those sun/season/direction facts.

His Facebook Page " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
His Facebook Page " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

Accident happened around 8:30 a.m. according to the linked news report, which would put the sun in everyone's face, if the map location is correct.

If this holds true, the driver didn't have to drift even one inch to run over the group dead center in the roadway.

There appears to be a bike lane along Highway 84 at Flamingo Road and for quite a ways beyond. I wonder if all the cyclists were within that lane? Not an excuse for running them over, but would make a difference to a jury if it came to that. Nobody likes cyclists hogging a travel lane when there is a bike lane right there, installed with tax money, to keep them "safe". (Map)

Last edited by JoeyBike; 11-27-18 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 02:15 PM
Spoonrobot 

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Sadly, a second cyclist, Carlos Rodriguez, has died.
I don't want this to become a shouting match, but the Broward cycling group involved in the crash was riding double-file. Because of distracted, visually-impaired, drunk or belligerent drivers, I would like to urge cyclists, solo or otherwise, to ride single-file, and as far to the right as you can get. I think it also would have helped this group (and all groups) to adopt and enforce a strict policy of keeping at least seven feet between bicycles during the ride.
The satellite image of the crash site on State Road 84 shows a shoulder about 14" wide. Just enough for one bicycle. When disaster or safety are decided in a matter of 2 to 3 inches, I think we all want to be to the side of, instead of in front of, any errant or violent driver. If the car had sideswiped this group, then perhaps some riders would have been thrown into the grass.
At the risk of sounding controversial, I feel it necessary to recommend that all of us (including myself) think more defensively.
Is this a parody post?

Nothing you posted is a good idea and is based on talking points anti-cycling advocates used to restrict access to the roadways. Riding two abreast is almost always safer for cyclists and more convenient for cars as it shortens the passing distance by half. 7 feet between bicycles? Are you nuts?

Riding "as far to the right as you can get" encourages dangerous passes by motorists who are not aware how wide their vehicle actually is and how much speed differential exists. Did you see the car? This was no incident of "2 to 3 inches" it was a full-speed, no brakes center frontal impact due to the driver not paying attention to the road for several seconds at high speeds.

There is no "thinking defensively" with distracted driving. Distracted drivers routinely hit police cars full of flashing lights, pedestrians on the sidewalk, cyclists in well marked bike lanes, people waiting at bus stops and many other places cars do not belong. Wearing a mirror and having extremely good reflexes is probably the only on-bike thing a cyclist can do to be safer. But really the lateral ability and timing required to notice and dodge a car coming from behind at 35+ miles an hour creates a very small window. Otherwise it's lobbying for enforcement of distracted driving laws, harsher penalties for negligence during motor vehicle operation and getting more people out riding on the road so that automobile users expect cyclists and are forced to share the roadway.

There is no good takeaway from this incident for cyclists. One day you may get run down by a distracted driver and the vast majority of society, including fellow cyclists, will not be on your side.
Old 11-27-18, 02:32 PM
Spoonrobot 

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Here is a map of the official spot of the accident. Car was traveling ESE at the time according to this. See the red pin. Source.

That's wrong. Look at the street view and compare to the on-scene video. The retaining wall clearly visible in the on-scene video ends before the intersection of FL-84 and Poinciana. The express lane sign on 595 is also clearly visible in the on-scene video. The map I posted is correct and is corroborated by the original article.
A Honda Fit struck the riders about 8:30 a.m. in the eastbound lanes of State Road 84, east of Southwest 148th Avenue.
Link

The link you posted has the map attached at the bottom but is incorrect and an address or location is not listed in the article.

This is the correct location as evidenced by the on-scene video and Google street view. Please stop spreading disinformation in an attempt to "prove" your point. Once again, this is the correct location of the collision:

Old 11-27-18, 02:38 PM
Spoonrobot 

The Google Streetview screenshot you posted is obviously not the area of the collision and is too far east. Did you watch the linked instagram video from Bikelaw? Where is the retaining wall in your shot? Why is the interstate elevated when on-scene video shows it near-grade?

You need to let this go, you're obviously mistaken.

Old 11-27-18, 02:47 PM
Spoonrobot 

This is also from the original article:

Eastbound State Road 84 was closed for hours from Weston Road all the way east to Southwest 136th Avenue so police could investigate the accident.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...125-story.html

15000 FL84 is East of SW 136th Ave and as noted above could not be the correct location of the collision.

This map also shows how the sun was in her eyes as she headed SE before SW 148th avenue and then the sun was no longer in her eyes as FL-84 veered slightly E/NE and then she was distracted by something in her glovebox, took her eyes off the road for a few seconds at 45-60 miles per hour and killed two people right before Poinciana road.

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 11-27-18 at 02:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.