Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stopping to take photos - doesn't it mess up your ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stopping to take photos - doesn't it mess up your ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 10:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I stop for javelina. Otherwise I just keep riding.

That camouflaging is pretty good.
Old 12-11-18, 11:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Cascade goats are friendly and inquisitive, Olympic goats are ornery and aggressive. What was that one like?
He was pleasant. I think he wanted food. The short hike to the lake is very popular. I suspect tourists feed them. Also seen during the hike was a hoary marmot entertaining visitors by playing around in a snow bank. I only had a limited amount of film to take into the backcountry for a week so I had to be judicious with my picture taking. At a minimum, the critters along the trail are so accustomed to people that they are not to wary of them.

In Waterton Village, which is in the Canadian portion of the park, there are deer and goats wandering around town. The last time I was there, a deer was harassing a woman despite the fact that she was walking a yappy dog. The deer kept following the woman, who, in response, kept flinging her arm trying to shoo the poor thing away. It was obvious that the deer though she was going to throw food. Imagine playing fetch with a dog. When you fling your arm, pretending to throw the stick, the dog looks in the direction where the stick would have gone had you released it. That's exactly what the deer was doing. This went on for several minutes. Quite a scene. She finally made it to the safety of her RV.
Old 01-02-19, 08:31 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I ride by this regularly, & finally stopped to take a pic.
It is similar but newer than the one that my uncle restored at his ranch- 192? Denby.
The dash is the gas tank, crank start, top speed 5 mph, solid rubber tires, cast iron wheels, cab available at extra cost.
He drove it as a kid, & lately made a new bent-wood steering wheel, cab parts, etc.etc.

Old 01-03-19, 11:37 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Argh! So I just wrote a nice long post only to have it get zapped up/lost by the system. Suffice to say here are the Coles notes.

1. This post has inspired me to stop and take some photos when on a solo ride. Maybe not every ride, but more than I've been doing now.
2. There are some great images here; thanks for sharing

But how do you know when to stop? For example you're in the groove. Cadence is flying. You're putting out watts. Life is grand. For me I have a hard time stopping. I mean I want to stop. But then I worry my whole workout will be trashed.

Anyway What are you guys doing with all of your images?
Stop to take a pic when the workout is over or at a rest point. Almost all of my riding is structured workouts. As such, I do not stop except for a programmed rest (RBI) so that is a time to take a photo, if it works. Descents after a long interval climb are prime chances to stop. For example, I may see something on the way up that I will stop and shoot on the way down. So one can incorporate photo ops into structure without mucking up the workout goals.

Most of my riding is on the same routes that I do over and over again such that I have a lot of pics already and not much new to shoot.
Old 01-03-19, 11:45 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

End of the ride at the southern most point in New Zealand. The sign shows the distances and direction to other places. The next stop south is Antarctica.

Old 01-03-19, 01:40 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I stop for javelina. Otherwise I just keep riding.

If I encounter a javalina on a ride, I try to stay a good distance from them. You never know wjat they'll do.
Old 01-03-19, 05:01 PM
BikingTech

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
How does stopping for photos impact your rides? When do you decide to stop? Will you always stop if there is a good scene to capture? Do you find it difficult to get back in to a rhythm after you're stopped and cooled down a bit to take your image?
Cheers.
On my leisure rides, I am in no hurry and probably drop to 12-15 mph. Riding solo, I can stop anytime. What is cool is I've met fellow photo enthusiasts over the years. One year I spotted an elk down in the valley and a dude rode up behind me as I was taking photos. We just stood there in silence as the elk looked at us and continued to feed on some old hay bales. He loaned me his little studio when I tried portrait photography.
Old 01-03-19, 05:17 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
A 3 minute stop to take a picture will have zero impact on your fitness goals. Stop if the mood strikes you.
Old 01-03-19, 05:59 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by colnago62
A 3 minute stop to take a picture will have zero impact on your fitness goals. Stop if the mood strikes you.
How about in the middle of a 5 minute VO2 effort?