Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Coming back to commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Coming back to commuting

Old 12-12-18, 04:46 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Coming back to commuting

My Yuba Mundo has been out of action for over 6 months. I went electric with it and was not pleased, so it's back to my leg power only. I am getting it back today and I plan on commuting with it for the entire winter. I bought some cop car lights and and a 12v motorcycle battery because the ride to work is on a not so nice for commuting road.
Old 12-12-18, 04:54 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Excellent.

I DEMAND PHOTOS OF THIS KALIFORNIAN SHENANIGANERY!

Old 12-12-18, 04:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A Yuba from an actual Yuba Countian??? Sweet!
Old 12-12-18, 11:15 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by bugly64
I bought some cop car lights
Please explain and elaborate on your lighting setup.
Old 12-13-18, 08:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
you know, they make police bike lights

https://www.policebikestore.com/lights.htm

dunno if that's legal if you're not a cop tho
Old 12-13-18, 09:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
The Yuba Mundo is a very cool bike. We have a lot of them in my neighborhood in lower Manhattan. Some are motorized, some not. Just this morning, I saw a woman carrying her two kids to school on hers. I'm pretty sure hers was not motorized. I wish I had a reason to have a bike like that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-13-18, 01:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
It is never clear what is appropriate for lighting. Too much? Too little? Too bright? Too dim? Too many? Too few? Colors?

Personally I don't think there is any need for blue or green. Red, White, & Yellow are more than adequate for visibility.

Likewise, I'm trying to find the perfect brightness for the rear. Bright enough to be seen during the day, but not too bright to blind drivers at night.

I discovered that a brighter headlight may help protect from dark-adapting the eyes... causing one to be blinded by passing motorists. Don't ride towards the light!!!

I've seen a few bikes that look more like Christmas Trees than bicycles. It is hard to say how they affect traffic. Spoke lights?

I saw one of these beside the road a couple of weeks ago. It was in the middle of a driveway. I tossed it to the side of the driveway, thinking maybe it fell off a person's load as they arrived home. Maybe. Anyway, it was gone the next time I passed.

LED Road Flare Flashing Warning Rechargeable Safety Light Roadside Flare Emergency Disc Beacon, Magnetic Base for Car or Marine

It would make a great light to mount on top of a rack, if a mount could be designed, and reasonably free from being covered up. Unfortunately I'm not sure I have a good place to mount one. Maybe under the seat?
Old 12-13-18, 03:25 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

These should be arriving today from Amazon. I will get a small motorcycle battery from Walmart or O'Reilly's to power everything and recharge nightly.

Old 12-13-18, 03:36 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
It is never clear what is appropriate for lighting. Too much? Too little? Too bright? Too dim? Too many? Too few? Colors?
StVZO has that sorted for you.

Section 66a is what you're after (67 is only for trailers).

66a lighting equipment.

(1) At twilight, in darkness or when visibility conditions otherwise require, the vehicles must

1. forward at least one lamp with white light,

2. at least one lamp with red light at a height not more than 1500 mm above the roadway

to lead; At ambulance chairs, these lights must be permanently attached at all times. When driving with trailers, it is sufficient if the train is illuminated like a vehicle; however, the lateral limitation of trailers extending more than 400 mm beyond the front-vehicle lamps shall be indicated by at least one white-light lamp. For hand-held vehicles, § 17 (5) of the Road Traffic Code applies.

(2) The lights shall be located as far to the left as possible and shall not be more than 400 mm from the widest part of the vehicle outline. Lamps used in pairs must shine equally brightly, not more than 400 mm from the widest part of the vehicle outline and at the same height.

(3) For covered agricultural or forestry vehicles loaded with hay, straw or other easily combustible goods, it is sufficient to provide a white light, which is clearly visible in front and behind, to be fitted on the left-hand side or carried by hand.

(4) All vehicles must be equipped with two red reflectors at the rear. These shall not be more than 400 mm (the brightest area of ​​the illuminating area) from the widest part of the vehicle outline and not more than 900 mm (the highest point of the illuminating area) above the carriageway at the same height. The longitudinal sides of the vehicles must be fitted with at least one yellow reflector each, which must not be higher than 600 mm, but as low as possible.

(5) Additional side-acting yellow retroreflective agents are permitted.

(6) Luminaires and reflectors must not be covered or dirty; the lights must not dazzle.

§ 67 Lighting equipment on bicycles.

(1) Bicycles may only be used on public roads if they are equipped with the prescribed and type-approved lighting equipment. For removable headlamps and lights, paragraph 2, sentence 4 shall apply. Bicycles shall be equipped with an alternator, a battery or a rechargeable energy store or a combination thereof as an energy source for the operation of the headlamp and tail lamp. All lighting equipment, with the exception of batteries and rechargeable energy storage devices, must meet the requirements of § 22a. The nominal voltage of the energy source must be compatible with the voltage of the active lighting equipment used.

(2) Lighting equipment and retroreflective equipment shall also be considered as lighting equipment. The lighting equipment shall be properly installed in accordance with this Regulation and during its operation, secured against unintentional adjustment under normal operating conditions and be permanently operational. Lighting equipment must not be covered. Headlamps, lights and their source of energy may be removable, but must be installed during dusk, in darkness or when visibility otherwise requires. Lighting equipment may be assembled, built into each other or combined, with the exception of direction indicators. Lighting equipment must not affect each other in their effect. Bicycles exceeding 1 000 mm in width must have front-to-rear, paired horizontally-mounted reflectors and at least two white headlamps and two red tail lamps, which must be mounted in pairs to the outer edge with a maximum lateral separation of 200 mm. By derogation, bicycles wider than 1 800 mm shall comply with the provisions of United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation No 48 on uniform conditions for the licensing of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signaling devices (OJ L 265, 30.9 .2016, p. 125) for passenger cars.

(3) Bicycles shall be equipped with one or two forward-acting white dipped-beam headlamps. The headlamp must be set so that it does not dazzle other road users. Flashing headlights are prohibited. Bicycles must be equipped with at least one forward looking white reflector. In addition, headlamps shall be fitted with daytime running and driving high beam and white light of maximum intensity and daytime running light distribution in accordance with United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Regulation No 87 - Uniform provisions concerning the approval of daytime running lights for motor vehicles ( OJ L 164, 30.6.2010, p.Switching between the light functions shall be automatic or by hand with controls in accordance with the provisions of Regulation No 60 of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) - Uniform provisions concerning the approval of two-wheel motorcycles and auxiliary motor cycles with regard to controls operated by the driver and marking of controls, control lamps and display devices (OJ L 297, 15.10.2014, p.

(4) Bicycles must be at the back with at least

1. a taillight for red light,

2. a red non-triangular reflector of category " Z " be equipped. Tail light and reflectors may be installed in one device. Taillights shall also be fitted with a red-light stop-light function with a stop-light intensity and distribution in accordance with Regulation No 50 of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) - Uniform conditions for the approval of front-mounted lamps, tail lamps, stop lamps, direction indicators and lighting devices for the rear registration plate for category L vehicles (OJ L 97, 29.3.2014, p. Flashing tail lights are prohibited.

(5) Bicycle pedals must be equipped with front and rear yellow reflectors. The long sides of a bicycle must be with each side

1. annularly related retroreflective white stripes on the tires or rims or in the spokes of the front and rear wheels or

2. Spokes on each wheel, all spokes either completely white retroreflective or with spoke sleeves on each spoke, or

3. at least two offset by 180 degrees mounted, acting on the side yellow spoke reflectors on the spokes of the front wheel and the rear wheel be marked. In addition to the minimum equipment with one of the hedging types, securing means of the other types of protection may be fitted. If more than two spoke reflectors are attached to a wheel, they must be evenly distributed along the circumference of the wheel. Additional side-facing type-approved yellow retroreflective devices are permitted. Forward and backward direction indicators approved in accordance with United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Regulation No 50 - Uniform conditions for the approval of front position lamps, rear position lamps, stop lamps, direction indicators and rear registration plate lamps for category L vehicles 1) and grown under Regulation No 74 of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UN / ECE) - Uniform provisions concerning the approval of category L 1 vehicles with regard to the cultivation of Lighting and light-signaling devices (OJ L 166, 18.6.2013, p. 88) and arrangement of controls according to Regulation No 60 of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) - Uniform provisions concerning the approval of two-wheel motorcycles and auxiliary motor cycles with regard to the operator operated by the operator parts and labeling of controls, indicator lamps and display devices (OJ 23), are only permitted on multi-lane bicycles or those with a bodywork that completely or partially obscures the driver's hand signals.

(6) Taillights and headlamps may only be switched on together when operated by means of an alternator. When the parking light function is switched on, the tail light may also shine alone. The headlamps and luminaires may only be used with bulbs designed according to their design.

(7) In the case of bicycles with electric pedal assistance, the lighting system can be supplied via a coupling to the energy storage device for the drive if

1. after discharge-related shutdown of the backup drive nor an uninterrupted power supply of the lighting system is guaranteed for at least two hours, or

2. The drive motor can be used as an alternator transitional to continue to provide the lighting system with power.Sentence 1 does not apply to bicycles with electric pedal assistance, which are placed on the market before 1 January 2019.

(8) The following mounting heights apply to lighting equipment on bicyclesLighting equipmentMinimum height
[Mm]Maximum height
[Mm]Headlamp for dipped beam4001200Reflector front4001200Rear: tail light, reflector
Old 12-18-18, 02:08 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The Yuba Mundo is a very cool bike. We have a lot of them in my neighborhood in lower Manhattan. Some are motorized, some not. Just this morning, I saw a woman carrying her two kids to school on hers. I'm pretty sure hers was not motorized. I wish I had a reason to have a bike like that.
I wish I had a place to store a bike like that.
Old 12-19-18, 12:40 PM
crotch_rocket

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Hardrock Classic, 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin, Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
excellent.

I demand photos of this kalifornian shenaniganery!

same.

:d :d :d
Old 03-10-19, 04:51 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Better late than never

I was going to put a lot of excuses about why I have not posted any pics of the lights mounted or even mounted them, but they weren't very good. Here's the almost done but still good enough to get to work version.