Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What can you tell me about Rino hubs?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-12-18, 07:56 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts

I picked up a cheap used tubular wheelset to use for pre stretching tubulars. Wasn't too concerned about condition, which is a good thing, because both rims have a terminal warp, but they work fine for the intended purpose.
Anyway, looking at these hubs, they look pretty decent. I have not opened them to look at the internals, but they spin nice and smooth.
A search turned up a bit of discussion, but not too much that was definitive.

Old 12-12-18, 08:12 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I had these exact hubs. The cones and races must be made of pot metal, because despite proper adjustment and adequate lubrication, they lasted less than a year.

the Rino brakes and levers were horrid, even by the low standards of the era. About the only decent part of the gruppo was the rear derailleur, which seemed to be a clone of the Suntour Cyclone. But since this slant parallelogram unit pre-dated the expiry of the Suntour patent (1984), I cannot figure out how Rino got around this.
Old 12-12-18, 08:32 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I had these exact hubs. The cones and races must be made of pot metal, because despite proper adjustment and adequate lubrication, they lasted less than a year.

the Rino brakes and levers were horrid, even by the low standards of the era. About the only decent part of the gruppo was the rear derailleur, which seemed to be a clone of the Suntour Cyclone. But since this slant parallelogram unit pre-dated the expiry of the Suntour patent (1984), I cannot figure out how Rino got around this.
Thanks for that. I guess it's a good thing I don't have much tied up in them.
Old 12-13-18, 12:09 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Rino cranksets seem to look quite decent.... color (green, black red...) highlight anodizing on rings and IIRC, drillium too....
Not sure, but maybe they are similar to Ofmega. Some really nice things but some not so nice (Am I being too kind?) stuff too.....
Maybe the Rino hubs are similar to Ofmegas too....
Old 12-13-18, 08:54 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Thanks for that. I guess it's a good thing I don't have much tied up in them.
Rino was a second-tier Italian component manufacturer, like Ofmega and Miche.

I haven't used their hubs, but Dave's experience is similar to what I've had with Ofmega hubs. I found that Campagnolo cones were a drop-in replacement for the Ofmega cones; perhaps is may be true for Rino as well. I replaced the Ofmega cones with Campagnolo on my wife's wheels and they're still going strong 30+ years later.
Old 12-13-18, 10:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I have a pair of Miche Competition hubs that look identical to these, which makes sense, given what @JohnDThompson says. They lasted many years but gave out recently. I replaced the rear axle and cones. One thing I like about them is the shell. The dimensions are similar to Campagnolo Record, including the tight spoke holes. Tight spoke holes are good.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.