Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 10-09-18, 08:04 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
you're kidding, right?

Originally Posted by Stadjer
No problem. If you can't be trusted to ride a bike without hitting your head, you can't be trusted to bike wihtout hitting another cyclist or pedestrian.
You've obviously never been hit by a car.
Old 10-09-18, 09:18 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
Note that they live in the Netherlands. Cars are not the gift of God's there.
Old 10-10-18, 08:22 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Just wondering. You've got no rabbits or squirrels in paradise?

-mr. bill
Not in the numbers or places that cyclists regularly collide with them (and don't hit their head if it brings them down at all). Maybe they adapt like dogs seem to have done and avoid the busy roads.

Originally Posted by grayEZrider
Only twice.

Originally Posted by jemiller31
So, this is the argument? :

1. The decision to wear a helmet indicates that someone doesn't trust him/herself.
appearantly.

2. This lack of trust in one's self means they cannot then be trusted to avoid other cyclists or pedestrians.
Yes, and on top of that people tend to take more risks when feeling protected.

3. Helmet wearing thus protects the untrustworthy while exposing others to heightened risk.
Helmet wearing only offers some protection in some cases. It's not a magic hat that makes all dangers disappear.

4. No helmets should be used at all.
No. I really don't mind people wearing helmets in dangerous situations and places, like mountainbiking, going fast on the open road, in the shower, in America. But when you enter an urban area in the Netherlands full of cyclists and pedestrians, many of them below 10, it should be normal to cycle in a way a helmet has no use, even with the chance of pigeons and cats crossing. Switch off from a competitive or speed state of mind, get the feet out of the clips and relax, get in tune with that environment.

I meant a case could be made, it's not the case I want to make because I don't believe it should be regulated at all. The case I want to make is that cycling itself should remain a helmetless activity, unless there are specific risks. That could be wildlife in some places, it could be ice in others, it could be speed or competition in any place. That could but should not be traffic. Cycling is not an inherently dangerous activity that requires a helmet for (some) safety. That's my problem with helmet advocacy, it makes the exception into the rule.
Old 10-10-18, 09:05 AM
jemiller31

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it makes the exception into the rule.
I think it's the possibility of the exception that only a rule can address. IOW, the exceptional scenario of bike-related head trauma can only be addressed with the rule of wearing a helmet.

Last edited by jemiller31; 10-10-18 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-10-18, 09:41 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

And I'm going to guess being clipped in to pedals isn't very popular either...
Old 10-10-18, 09:42 AM
Stadjer

I think it's the possibility of the exception that only a rule can address. IOW, the exceptional scenario of bike-related head trauma can only be addressed with the rule of wearing a helmet.
Bike-related head trauma doesn't exist. Head trauma is speed-related, traffic-related, wildlife-related, incompetence-related or whatever, but it's not related to the activity of cycling itself. Cycling itself is safe to the head once you've learned to stay on it. The risk comes with where and how you ride it. Cycling calmly among lots of other helmetless cyclists turns out to be the safest.
Old 10-10-18, 09:59 AM
jemiller31

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike-related head trauma doesn't exist.
Head trauma is speed-related, traffic-related, wildlife-related, incompetence-related or whatever, but it's not related to the activity of cycling itself. Cycling itself is safe to the head once you've learned to stay on it. The risk comes with where and how you ride it.

When one turns to semantics to make a point, you know the substance of their argument is getting very thin. Trauma that happens on a bike is bike-related trauma by definition, helmet ideology aside. I may be new to these forums but your comments have affirmed my decision to wear a helmet always.
Old 10-10-18, 10:59 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
I may be new to these forums but your comments have affirmed my decision to wear a helmet always.
Helmet zealots, whether they are new posters here or are the same old, same old characters posting "questions" on this subject are already committed to their helmet wearing/proselytizing decision/beliefs; questions for which they have no interest in the responses unless they "affirm" their quasi-religious decision/beliefs in the risk reduction power of Styrofoam.
Old 10-10-18, 11:05 AM
Stadjer

When one turns to semantics to make a point, you know the substance of their argument is getting very thin.
No, I don't think so.
Trauma that happens on a bike is bike-related trauma by definition, helmet ideology aside.
Now you are making it about semantics. I might have got it wrong semantically, at least the point I was trying to make was about the substance.
I may be new to these forums but your comments have affirmed my decision to wear a helmet always.
In the shower and in the car too? Unlike a lot of helmet advocats I don't enjoy telling other people what to do. I could not even tell whether I think it's wise for you to wear a helmet or not because I've no idea where and how you ride your bike.
Old 10-10-18, 11:36 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Helmet zealots, whether they are new posters here or are the same old, same old characters posting "questions" on this subject are already committed to their helmet wearing/proselytizing decision/beliefs; questions for which they have no interest in the responses unless they "affirm" their quasi-religious decision/beliefs in the risk reduction power of Styrofoam.
My head is always protected by a helmet on a bicycle and on a motorcycle

That personal decision has never deterred me from actively participating, promoting and succeeding in maintaining freedom of choice for adult helmet laws.
Old 10-14-18, 07:07 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless

That personal decision has never deterred me from actively participating, promoting and succeeding in maintaining freedom of choice for adult helmet laws.
Same here.

I wear a helmet and seat belts, and advocate strongly for their use, but I figure that any adult who chooses to not wear one has that right, the same way they have the right to leave home for vacation without locking the door or leave valuables on the seat of their parked car. If they place any value on something, they will take steps to protect it against the unforeseen.
Old 10-17-18, 08:36 AM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts

If cyclists really prioritized their safety, they would be wearing a snuggly fitting full-face motor-cycling helmet when riding a bicycle. They serve after all the exact same purpose. And yet cyclists typically opt for what's left of a motor-cycling helmet that after all the concessions to comfort, weight, temperature, etc. etc. is reduced to something that can hardly even.be called a helmet. I just go one step further, and discard the last scraps of styrofoam, accept that there's in practice not that much you can do to protect yourself on a bicycle, and count my blessings cycling is inherently safe if you accept those limitations and act on it.
Old 10-17-18, 09:39 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CarinusMalmari
If cyclists really prioritized their safety, they would be wearing a snuggly fitting full-face motor-cycling helmet when riding a bicycle. They serve after all the exact same purpose. And yet cyclists typically opt for what's left of a motor-cycling helmet that after all the concessions to comfort, weight, temperature, etc. etc. is reduced to something that can hardly even.be called a helmet. I just go one step further, and discard the last scraps of styrofoam, accept that there's in practice not that much you can do to protect yourself on a bicycle, and count my blessings cycling is inherently safe if you accept those limitations and act on it.
Please provide a link that supports any of these assertions.
Old 10-18-18, 07:25 AM
CarinusMalmari

Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
Please provide a link that supports any of these assertions.
Most of my claims are simply logical.
Bicycle helmets obviously do have the same purpose as motorcycle helmets.
A full face motorcycle helmet obviously offers far more protection than a bicycle helmet, if only because it covers more of the head.
The difference between the two is due to all kinds of concessions to make the bicycle helmet more marketable suitable for cycling
The reasons why cyclists prefer bicycle helmets over motor cycle helmets are typically the same as the reason why I opt out of helmets altogether.

Pro-tip. If you demand from people to support their claims with proper sources, you might want to do the same for your own claims.
but knock yourself out, anyway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_helmet

Last edited by CarinusMalmari; 10-18-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-04-18, 04:24 PM
newenglandbikes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great question. Not sure, but I read recently that after helmets were introduced and popularized, the number of head injuries reported went up for cyclists. BUT, at the same time, the number of fatalities went down for the same group So, to some extent, I was reminded that introducing helmet usage to a study can at times complicate the bigger data set.
Old 12-29-18, 06:00 PM
v8powerage

Bikes: Giant Cadex 980C

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
No Helmet

I was wondering when did wearing helmet while riding road bike become trendy, because I remember when only mtb'ers were wearing them, out of fear of hitting tree while riding on some forest trails.
I know that pros at tour de france wear helmets because they give some slight aerodynamic advantage, although they have lately such huge hair so not sure if the helmet can help much. Needless to say I don't wear any, my reasoning is that it is better to prevent than cure, it comes out of my bad experience when I fainted, because it traps hot air and that tight strap under your chin is not helping either. I think this is far far more likely than hitting anything with your head while on the bike. Since I'm riding for 10 years now 15 thousand km a year I can say out of my experience that helmet is not necessary while riding a road bike, I did have few accidents but to fall on your head you'd have to rollover, which is impossible on the bicycle. Each day I ride between cars through the city and I can't imagine having anything on my head, because with protounding helmet I'd be hitting every car's and truck's mirror and that is bound to give me concussion. You're naturally aware of your head's width but if you wear something that adds few cm's on either side then it spells trouble. Now I know about statistics but I also know that statistics are not real life and that is my experience, I think world is going towards eliminating any possible danger which in theory is good but it creates new unforeseen dangers, it's same with new cars and super thick pillars, sure they save you in case of rollover but they terribly obstruct the view which can cause an accident in first place, and one much more common than rollover, which happens very seldom.
Old 12-29-18, 06:06 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Is there a correlation between people who don't use helmets and people who don't use paragraph breaks?
Old 12-29-18, 06:11 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by v8powerage
I know that pros at tour de france wear helmets because they give some slight aerodynamic advantage, ...
They wear helmets because the rules say they must wear helmets. The rest of what you think you know is equally reliable.
Old 12-29-18, 06:13 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Widespread helmet usage in the US (as far as I remember) was around 1986 when Greg Lemond sported a Giro styrofoam helmet with a lycra cover over it. That was about the same time the USCF made us start wearing helmets and wouldn't allow leather hairnets anymore.
Old 12-29-18, 06:26 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
My friend, v8powerage, we have a place for helmet discussions, the legendary Helmet Thread 2. Enjoy!

Moved from Road.

Last edited by BillyD; 12-29-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 08:14 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I care not one bit what someone else thinks about wearing helmets, nor do I care whether they wear one or not. I started wearing one back in the late 80's. There are instances when I do not wear one. If I have been working on a bike and am just going to do a short test ride in my neighborhood I usually do not put one on. I also sometimes head out on a ride and realize at some point that I do not have my helmet on. I will usually go back and put one on. However, sometimes, Iike today, I am already miles away from home when I realize I am helmet less. If that is the case I will probably just continue on my way, as I did today. IMO, not a good scenario. I have never had the misfortune of having tested the level of protection from a helmet. To me, it is pretty obvious that I am better protected with a helmet than I am without one.I also think it is just as obvious that a helmet is not going to prevent all injuries from happening. I did have a fall off of a bike a couple of months ago that did not cause any contact with the helmet/head area, but, just the same, I am glad I had one on.
Old 12-30-18, 09:24 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Widespread helmet usage in the US (as far as I remember) was around 1986 when Greg Lemond sported a Giro styrofoam helmet with a lycra cover over it. That was about the same time the USCF made us start wearing helmets and wouldn't allow leather hairnets anymore.
I put my bicycle away for a motorcycle in about 1974, and didn't ride again until around 2008. I'd never personally handled a bicycle helmet to that point, and didn't see a lot of point to it except for some misadventures on ice. I have several now, that I use about half the time, but I still think that they're mainly for children and special sporting events. And group rides of course
Old 12-31-18, 08:18 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Old 12-31-18, 09:44 AM
curbtender

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
No backwards?
Old 12-31-18, 10:34 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
No backwards?
Great catch!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.