Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clipless Pedals + Cleats for Size 15 Shoe

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-01-17, 06:08 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

I wear a size 15 shoe (49 European) and I have orthopedic insoles for arch support when standing/walking. My current cycling habits include riding to and from classes on campus and occasionally riding to stores 10-15 mins away.

I've always been hesitant about going clipless but since I will be graduating soon and my riding will change as a result I am now considering the possibility of clipless. Here are my main two concerns:

1: I would like a shoe that I can walk around in and because I have insoles I would need the shoes to be able to work with the insoles. I personally dislike the idea of carrying around a change of shoes if I can help it.

2: Probably the more obvious one, I need wide shoes in a size 15.

3: The hardest one of them all, I need the shoes to not cost an exorbitant amount of money. Considering the circumstances, I honestly don't think this one is possible.

I honestly don't know where to start looking or if it any of this is worth it so any help or advice would be well welcomed. Thanks.
Old 02-01-17, 08:05 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
I can't speak for all of your concerns, but I picked up a set of lightly preowned Pearl Izumi Allroad MTB shoes in size 48 for $40 on eBay. Since I ride primarly gravel I have put them through much more abuse than the previous owner did, but they are holding up fine so far.

They are wide enough and more comfortable than I imagined, but I wouldn't wear this particular pair for regular shoes, as they are a bit stiff for that purpose. I do see more 'casual' or 'sporty' type shoes for sale when I check out clipless in stores and online.

I'm actually surprised I went as long as I did without clipless pedals. I thought I wouldn't be coordinated enough to unclip safely, but now I do fine (after a couple minor mishaps).
Old 02-01-17, 09:39 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
For the "walking around" part, try mountain bike pedals and shoes.
For the Size 15/low cost, try Nashbar. They don't have every show in that size, but I have bought size 50 shoes there before. Sometimes they have sales on big/small stuff, they'll have sales on out-of-season stuff.
(15 sounds bigger than 49, by the way, don't think I've ever owned a size 15 street shoe, but wear size 49 bike shoes).
Old 02-01-17, 09:46 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Originally Posted by StephenH
For the Size 15/low cost, try Nashbar. They don't have every show in that size, but I have bought size 50 shoes there before. Sometimes they have sales on big/small stuff, they'll have sales on out-of-season stuff.
(15 sounds bigger than 49, by the way, don't think I've ever owned a size 15 street shoe, but wear size 49 bike shoes).
I checked my shoes earlier and they do say 50 so you're right
Old 02-02-17, 06:07 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Yeah, 49 sounds small. I wear a 14 and my 49's are tight. I'd go 50 or better for 15.

And another vote for MTB shoes pedals. I have Shimano M089 and SPD pedals for my road bike.

I do struggle with some squeaking on the right cleat after an hour or two on the bike. I've been trying silicone spray on both the sole and pedal to lessen it. Seems like it works. I did a 25 mile ride Tuesday and don't remember any squeak.
Old 02-02-17, 06:49 AM
alois

Bikes: Avaghon series 28; Fuji Touring 2016; Santos Travelmaster 2.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I own a pair of Vaude Kelby cycling shoes in size 50. They're mountain biking shoes, and look rather modest, and I can walk around on them very comfortably. They have insoles. I made a three day bike trip in the summer wearing only these shoes, withn no problems whatsoever. I recommend not getting shoes smaller than size 50; my regular shoe size is 48 but these fit me perfectly in 50.
Old 02-02-17, 09:16 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
They're not cheap up front, but I'm still riding with the Sidi Dominators I bought 7.5 years ago. I think they go to 52, but most sellers carry up to 50. You can get the Mega for wide feet. Add a MTB pedal (Speedplay Frog, Crank Brothers Eggbeaters, or SPD), and you can walk around. Buy now if you can get last year's closeouts!
Old 02-02-17, 08:50 PM
DarKris

So I found some size 15 shoes from 5.10 and wanted to know if anyone had any opinions?

Five Ten | Kestrel Lace Men's Clipless MTB Shoe - Carbon Black