Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 04-25-17, 04:53 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I noticed a correlation between those that can do the trainer and lap swimmers.
kind of. i was a competitive swimmer (including in college) and I just can't do the trainer. my dad was a very serious swimmer (more so than me) and he's recently turned to full time indoor riding after a bad accident on the bike last year and he's happy indoors. so maybe i don't qualify as a 'true lap swimmer' despite spending more than half my life doing just that.

i think it comes down to what you want out of the sport. i like the exploring and the freedom on the bike vs. just the workout. and climbing, because its like running.

edit: i realized i neglected the fact that you said 'correlation', not 'every swimmer can do the trainer'. and i'd actually probably agree that swimmers are more likely to be OK with the trainer, so perhaps ignore my counter argument.

Last edited by scheibo; 04-25-17 at 04:54 PM. Reason: i was wrong
Old 04-25-17, 05:12 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like bikes for the camaraderie, mostly. If I could convince a couple others to just come lifting with me it would be fine, but there's really kind of nothing like a few hours of alternately beating up on dudes and chatting with friends on the bike. At least not that I've found.
Old 04-25-17, 05:19 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Live MMA at Buffalo Wild Wings.
Old 04-25-17, 05:20 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I like bikes for the camaraderie, mostly. If I could convince a couple others to just come lifting with me it would be fine, but there's really kind of nothing like a few hours of alternately beating up on dudes and chatting with friends on the bike. At least not that I've found.
Try officiating - soccer is good.
Old 04-25-17, 09:04 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Try officiating - soccer is good.
well, there are all sorts of stories of how parents or adult rec league players go after referees. Just imagine making an incorrect offside call and getting an earful
Originally Posted by johnybutts
Turn that AC up. I will ride outside on the weekends once school is over and I have my weekends back. For now though, it's weekday evenings, when we're running the AC anyways.
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Chappy, I ride in the garage with two fans. On really hot days, I often put an ice pack on my back.

I tried a portable A/C unit. It took too long to get the garage cool, plus I didn't have good ventilation, so it was giving off heat as it was trying to cool.
looks like more fans it is. I bought one of those plastic Lasko Cyclone fans a while back. Worked great in the winter, but impossible to clean. I wonder how much mold has built up in the last 7 years. When i move again i'll def be getting two ginormous box fans and possibly an ice vest.
I noticed a correlation between those that can do the trainer and lap swimmers.
well, i can do trainer as long as i can stay cool. There was a 7-week stretch this winter when i didn't ride outside a single time. That was slightly bunkers though.

Originally Posted by mike868y
i know baltimore isn't really the south but the one summer i spent there i actually rode the trainer a lot because my basement was significantly cooler than outside where the heat was simply oppressive.
Baltimore is almost like DC, and DC is damned oppressive. Near impossible to ride last summer from mid-July until early September. Some guy suffered a heat stroke at one of the road races, just brutal.

But despite all that, and all my complaining to my coach about how Hains Point isn't conducive to long intervals on the TT bike, I miss that 3-mile loop. I thought it was a pale imitation of Central Park when i first moved to DC, but as I'm now on the wrong side of 30, not having to worry that much about your safety has become increasingly important. To boot, i could knock out a workout early in the morning (didn't happen often) or in the evening when there was almost no one else around. Now that i live in the NJ burbs, i can't ride early and can't ride late during the week.
Old 04-25-17, 09:14 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
well, there are all sorts of stories of how parents or adult rec league players go after referees. Just imagine making an incorrect offside call and getting an earful...
Earful?
You will always get an earful, even on correct calls. You learn how to ignore others (see I'm trained) and make fast decisions on how to control a situation. Getting the call right is not that important, you usually do. Selling it and game control is where it is at. It is very mentally stimulating. I've done about 1,000 games from adults to kids. Adults you can go out after the game and have a beer with the players. Kids, you can have a beer with the other referees, or the police - depends on the parents. Some hated me, most really liked me. And as a referee - they tell you.

You get to run around on a nice grass (hopefully) field forward, backward sideways and blow a whistle. I'd run 20-25 miles on a Sat (GPS watch). That kept me running mid week for the weekend games.
Old 04-25-17, 11:13 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I pretty much need it to be happy. I go to dark places without playing bikes outdoors.
Yeah, this. I race cuz I love riding bikes outdoors. Too much indoor riding takes away the biggest reason to be on a bike.
Old 04-26-17, 06:37 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y should start work on his personal brand to fill the long hours of repenting. He's officially an adult now and needs to start planning like one. Unpaid child labor is a horrible thing to waste. That transition from workers who model to model workers needs to be ingrained so it can happen multiple times throughout a day seamlessly. Everyone loves twins and especially baby twins. When they lose that cute factor be ready to make that unexpected bounty commercially viable and self sustaining.
Old 04-26-17, 06:57 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Went to the doctor yesterday for my annual physical.

I've got high cholesterol and borderline low blood pressure.
Old 04-26-17, 10:03 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^maybe you should try veganism?
Old 04-26-17, 10:11 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm 99.99% sure I'll be moving to Rhode Island in a couple months. Now I just need to find a job.
Old 04-26-17, 10:22 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Well, I'm 99.99% sure I'll be moving to Rhode Island in a couple months. Now I just need to find a job.
Are you limited to RI proper for any reason? When we moved back to New England my wife worked in RI and I in Boston and we lived kind halfway between. Feel free to PM me about living as I'm pretty familiar with SE Mass (I grew up on the south coast of MA) and some of RI
Old 04-26-17, 10:25 AM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I'm not actually. I'll be looking in Boston and maybe Worcester also. We'll be starting off in Providence I suppose but when I get settled in a job decide on a more permanent area to live.

I will definitely send a PM when I have more detail, thanks for the offer!
Old 04-26-17, 12:32 PM
topflightpro

So it's serious enough that you're moving with her. Interesting.

Foxwoods isn't too far from Providence. You could just become a professional gambler.
Old 04-26-17, 05:43 PM
big john

Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
I have a Fulcrum Racing crankset and I want to replace the chainrings, 50/34, black, Campagnolo 10 speed.
Can I use other brands? Can't seem to find Fulcrum rings alone. I'll search some more...
Old 04-26-17, 05:57 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long since discontinued. Any Campy compatible 10 speed chain ring should work unless for some crazy reason the BCD is different.
Old 04-26-17, 07:34 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fulcrum was just rebranded Campagnolo anyway, for marketing purposes.
Old 04-26-17, 08:30 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it seems like every other week now, I hear about some cyclist dying or getting hit by car. when are we going to have self driving cars so this distracted driving bull**** can end?
Old 04-26-17, 08:44 PM
big john

Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
Long since discontinued. Any Campy compatible 10 speed chain ring should work unless for some crazy reason the BCD is different.
Thanks. I'm not aware of anything weird about it.
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Fulcrum was just rebranded Campagnolo anyway, for marketing purposes.
True, but it was a lot cheaper.
Old 04-27-17, 05:52 AM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it's serious enough that you're moving with her. Interesting.

Foxwoods isn't too far from Providence. You could just become a professional gambler.
Absolutely!

I have never won anything gambling, I don't think that would be a wise career move.
Old 04-27-17, 06:52 AM
topflightpro

Well congratulations on making the move.

And from what I understand, the key to winning at gambling is not stressing over losing. (I struggle with that one.)
Old 04-27-17, 08:19 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts

And from what I understand, the key to winning at gambling is not stressing over losing. (I struggle with that one.)
in my experience the key to winning at gambling is to lose at a slow enough burn rate, that you can make it up on the complementary drinks.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-29-17, 06:28 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The key to winning at gambling is sloughing off every trick they use on the regular customers while getting comped for the privilege of taking their money. Sorta like eating the other guys lunch before starting on your own. Only with an incredibly seedy offshoot of casually on purpose.

Avoid riverboats like the plague.
Old 04-29-17, 07:06 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I admire guys like you and gsb who can enjoy the trainer....every year I try and it's just not happening. It's okay on occasion but as a daily activity it ceases to be a fun hobby...
I admit that riding outside is definitely different. Sprinting outside is totally different. Cornering, can't do that inside. But the heat, pollen, mosquitoes, cold, drivers... it's easy for me to go downstairs and ride. I actually find it easier to listen to music and basically close my eyes but right now Zwift is the easiest way to track my hours, and if it's up I'm looking at it.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-01-17, 08:00 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I live near the nice parts of New Jersey, rolling farmland, horses, etc. I didn't really get the jokes about NJ.

The other day I was in Elizabeth, NJ for a couple days. I now see what parts of NJ people are usually talking about. 12 lanes of turnpike, refineries, sewage plants, tank farms, gas lines, electrical transmission lines. It's a wasteland.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.