Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Haglund's Deformity

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Haglund's Deformity

Old 06-11-18, 08:43 AM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haglund's Deformity

Haven't visited a doctor to confirm, but it looks like I've got Haglund's Deformity. Not painful --- yet. Anyone with experience to share?
Old 06-11-18, 10:05 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I read the wiki explanation. Sounds painful. Good luck with the doc.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-11-18, 07:01 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
That's gotta hurt!
Old 06-12-18, 06:31 AM
nemo57

Bikes: early '60s Hillman single speed; 1976 Hillman 14 speed; 2017 Gios Gress; 1976 Cecil Walker track bike; Cannondale Topstone Carbon Lefty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Johnny
I have 'em on both heels. Fortunately, I've only had one play up at all over the years, generating a persistent corn that has to be shaved down from time to time. Haven't had the bursitis that they are apparently known for - touch wood. I avoid tight shoes as much as possible - except, ironically, that cycling shoes seem to be OK. Maybe its because they hold the heel so firmly that it doesn't irritate the corn.
All in all, worse things happen at sea.
Cheers
Old 06-14-18, 07:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Any chance Haglund will take it back?
Old 08-20-18, 12:37 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Both heels, FLared up on my left heel shortly after left Knee Replacement, six weeks in a boot and it has been over 7 years no issue. However. A bit over 2 years ago, my right one started hurting. Boot did not help. Kept getting worse. Podiatrist commented it was certainly the biggest he had seen. As it got worse, even pedaling a bicycle on my trainer was too painful to continue. FInally, had surgery to cut it down. My pain was caused by the spur cutting my achilles tendon. Requiring reconstruction and an anchor drilled in my heel some kevlar thread... After non weight bearing for a while, and a few other injuries not related to my heel spurs, all is well...
Old 12-08-21, 04:28 PM
waxmonk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surgery Tomorrow

Originally Posted by JohnnyCyclist
Haven't visited a doctor to confirm, but it looks like I've got Haglund's Deformity. Not painful --- yet. Anyone with experience to share?
Although my doc. isn't calling it Haglund's- I am. I'm having surgery on my heel tomorrow. Did you have leg cramps while riding your bike? I did, and it actually helped me to figure out the problem. I think the tight biking shoes rubbing on the back of my heel contributed as well. Not to mention long hours driving for a couple of part time jobs.
Old 12-13-21, 01:20 AM
nemo57

Bikes: early '60s Hillman single speed; 1976 Hillman 14 speed; 2017 Gios Gress; 1976 Cecil Walker track bike; Cannondale Topstone Carbon Lefty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Hope it went well for you. First chiropodist I went to suggested that having the deformity removed is no picnic - so I haven't had it done. No cramps for me - as I said earlier, my cycling shoes are less trouble than most, because they don't allow the heel to move around much at all. And, now that I've retired from active dress shoe wearing and lounge around in sandals in all weathers, the entire things is less trouble than it used to be, though over a couple of hours' driving can remind me of past pains.