Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Difference between Drop Bar and Flat Bar bike fit?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 04-30-19, 06:36 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

I have read about the importance of knee placement in relation to the center of the pedal on a Road bike but is this also true of a flat bar? Are there any other fitting guidelines that cross over from the drop bar bike to flat bar bike? I am guessing the seat height and front to rear is consistent but I would guess the bar height is up to the rider?
Any opinions are welcome as I am curious if there is a basic guideline for flat bar bike fit.
Thanks, Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 05-01-19, 08:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Don't get so obsessed that one aspect of a fit must be maintained and sacrifice the other aspects that may actually be more important for your particular body.

Rules for the various fits are just guidelines to get you in the starting place to begin adjustments to find what works for you. IMO of course.

As well, when you talk of fit... are you wanting to be fitted for ultimate comfort? Best performance on a long ride? Best speed on a short ride? or some other aspect?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-01-19, 09:30 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't get so obsessed that one aspect of a fit must be maintained and sacrifice the other aspects that may actually be more important for your particular body.

Rules for the various fits are just guidelines to get you in the starting place to begin adjustments to find what works for you. IMO of course.

As well, when you talk of fit... are you wanting to be fitted for ultimate comfort? Best performance on a long ride? Best speed on a short ride? or some other aspect?
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am looking for the best fit to protect my 70 year old knees while giving me the position to climb the multiple hills in my area. I ride about 15 miles or a little better three to four times a week and run my Quick 3 90% of the time. I am looking to have the rear cog set changed from an 11-32 to an 11-36. That should give me the range to not have to pound the heck out of my knees and still have something left to enjoy the rest of my day. I guess I am most concerned with the knee health and how the seat placement and back angle relates to that. I am still looking for the perfect seat but wanted to get some feedback on the other issues before I dump a bunch of money on a seat. Thanks again for your response.
Frank.

Last edited by Helderberg; 05-01-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 09:47 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Depends on the intended usage. Flat bar road bike, comfort bike, XC, DH?
Old 05-01-19, 09:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
reach to MTB bar grips about the same distance as to brake lever hoods

But door # 3 trekking bars ,, you keep all the levers and cables and their figure 8 bend ,

offers a multiple hand grips and one offering a bent over into the head wind posture too ..

Old 05-01-19, 09:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Or are you asking about the frame , seat tube angle/ seat post set back ? the back side part of the fit?

I'd measure setback from a plumbline over BB axis.. dividing the top tube , fore and back of that line
Old 05-01-19, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You want to go to an 11-16? I'm guessing you have a 50/34 front on that Quick 3. I'm hoping you meant 11-36. Make certain your rear DR can handle that big a gear and that much wrap it'll have to take up when small small. An 11-16 will certainly destroy your knees on hills.

If you are having trouble with saddles, then you are in plenty of company. Consider if one of your issues is not just too upright a position. Getting stretched out by moving your bars lower or further away might make a difference for saddle comfort. I find lower better than further. However it does take some effort to get used to riding in that position. At least it has for me.
Old 05-01-19, 01:51 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Iride01
You want to go to an 11-16? I'm guessing you have a 50/34 front on that Quick 3. I'm hoping you meant 11-36. Make certain your rear DR can handle that big a gear and that much wrap it'll have to take up when small small. An 11-16 will certainly destroy your knees on hills.

If you are having trouble with saddles, then you are in plenty of company. Consider if one of your issues is not just too upright a position. Getting stretched out by moving your bars lower or further away might make a difference for saddle comfort. I find lower better than further. However it does take some effort to get used to riding in that position. At least it has for me.
I

I apologize, 11-36 should have been the size I meant. I have since corrected it. Obviously my copy editor was on break when I typed this.
It is a long cage so it should accept the 36 ring but I do understand the concern for the 11 cog side of it. Also, I have a shorter stem that I will try.
I was going to swap the rear cogs myself but I think I will get the advice of my LBS and let them handle the mod if it is possible.
Thank you for yours and all of the other responses. I do appreciate them.
Frank.
Old 05-01-19, 01:52 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by fietsbob

But door # 3 trekking bars ,, you keep all the levers and cables and their figure 8 bend ,

offers a multiple hand grips and one offering a bent over into the head wind posture too ..

This looks like an interesting option. Thank you.
Frank.
Old 05-01-19, 04:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
You can google images for "mountain bike fit" and "road bike fit." You'll see that the road bike position with hands on hoods is identical with mountain bike position, hands on bars. The only difference is that road bars have drops which allows a possible lower position.
Old 05-01-19, 05:41 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
You can google images for "mountain bike fit" and "road bike fit." You'll see that the road bike position with hands on hoods is identical with mountain bike position, hands on bars. The only difference is that road bars have drops which allows a possible lower position.
Simple enough.Thank you. I will just use the fit suggestions for the two of them for my Hybrid flat bar.
Frank.
Old 05-06-19, 05:56 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

HUH?!?!?! Measuring my bikes, I'd need about a 250mm stem on my MTB to do that! (And with my extremely short torso, my reach isn't very long.) There's about a 15cm difference between MTB grips and road hoods on mine, which puts my back angle about the same on the each.
Old 05-07-19, 08:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

well now you decide if you want to change it and how much ..
Old 05-07-19, 12:07 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by pakossa
HUH?!?!?! Measuring my bikes, I'd need about a 250mm stem on my MTB to do that! (And with my extremely short torso, my reach isn't very long.) There's about a 15cm difference between MTB grips and road hoods on mine, which puts my back angle about the same on the each.
I guess you mean 15mm.

You can run those bars with the shifters and brake levers out front also, then you have that as your standard position, and the closer one for climbing.