Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

The Devolution of the American Lifestyle

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.
View Poll Results: Do you still eat in your dining room? 🍽️
I eat mostly on the run: car, bus, train, shop, office, etc.
2.04%
I eat only in my kitchen
16.33%
I eat at home, but not in my kitchen
36.73%
I generally eat in my dining room
26.53%
My dining room is a museum, except for Thanksgiving
12.24%
Other
6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

The Devolution of the American Lifestyle

Old 06-19-19, 02:38 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: 4 good ones, 1 junker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My wife and I eat almost daily at a dining area in the kitchen, but we use the dining room a half-dozen times a month when family or other guests are with us for dinner.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 06-19-19, 07:32 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
As an aside... I say this... teach your children to play music... it is a gift they will cherish later in life.
Funny you should make that aside. I've been watching videos of clarinet player making some beautify music, and pining for those old times. Both my sister and I leaned to play clarinet in school. She gave it up after a year (the clarinet is super challenging instrument), but I continued through high school.
Sunday breakfast is slow and fancier. But that is just the one day a week.
I used to ask my family what they wanted for Sunday breakfast and make the huge meals with all the fixins: Pancakes, waffles, muffins, omelettes, whatever they wanted, and all from scratch.

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
My wife is forever on the kids to eat their snacks at the table, and not at the computer desk or on the couch or upstairs in the bedrooms, but that's about keeping crumbs contained.

I heard a story on NPR a number of years back about how this is a significant cultural change across the U.S. It used to be a dinette set would be the first purchase for a new couple or new young adult setting up on their own. But it has gotten to where there are tons of families across the country who never have (and maybe never will) buy a dining table&chairs, and do all their eating around the TV.

I like to think that our family's regular practice of gathering around the table has made for (is making for) stronger family bonds and more character instilled in the kids, regardless of how trivial the 'conversation' seems on any particular evening. I hope when my kids get married and raise families they will eat together regularly.
Its a great time to get to talk to your kids and find out how was their day, and what's going on in their lives. Not to cross examine them mind you. But just to allow them to reveal what they want you to know going on of interest in their lives.
Old 06-20-19, 09:36 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Its a great time to get to talk to your kids and find out how was their day, and what's going on in their lives. Not to cross examine them mind you. But just to allow them to reveal what they want you to know going on of interest in their lives.
Yeah, we don't seem to have that "how was school today?" "fine" thing. I'm not sure we ever ask non-specific questions like that. Usually I try to ask how a particular thing is going that I know they're involved in, or have coming up.

Actually I remember a couple times the past month when my youngest asked me 'How was work today, dad?' or 'What did you do at work today?' Half because he's actually curious, but in a tone that suggests its half a goof. It's actually pretty tough to answer such broad questions, because there's so much context of what's going on at work that they're out of the loop on. Maybe the same reason is why kids usually don't respond well to 'how was school today'?
Old 06-20-19, 10:39 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Their label devolved too, they lost the Brothers.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 06-20-19, 10:40 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 48 Posts
I'm the only one in here, I do whatever I like. I lack proper nagging.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 06-20-19, 11:59 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Yeah, we don't seem to have that "how was school today?" "fine" thing. I'm not sure we ever ask non-specific questions like that. Usually I try to ask how a particular thing is going that I know they're involved in, or have coming up.

Actually I remember a couple times the past month when my youngest asked me 'How was work today, dad?' or 'What did you do at work today?' Half because he's actually curious, but in a tone that suggests its half a goof. It's actually pretty tough to answer such broad questions, because there's so much context of what's going on at work that they're out of the loop on. Maybe the same reason is why kids usually don't respond well to 'how was school today'?
They're essentially a question of anything unusual or out of the ordinary. But yeah, open-ended questions do work best. I've always been fond of the indirect method.
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
I'm the only one in here, I do whatever I like. I lack proper nagging.
BF. We got you covered. 🙃
Old 06-20-19, 02:49 PM
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 6965 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Growing up, we ate around the table, starting with grace...

And now, we only eat in the dining room, around a table, very occasionally. More often in the living room.
Old 06-21-19, 01:04 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 6360 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Growing up, we ate around the table, starting with grace...

And now, we only eat in the dining room, around a table, very occasionally. More often in the living room.
Ahhh... but you HAVE a dining room... this is something I have never had. I have never lived in a house with a formal dining room.

I have relatives and friends that have such a thing... but I have only ever had a table near a kitchen that itself was part of a much larger room.

In fact I have never lived in a house that had a door or doorway separating kitchen from larger open living area. At best there has always been a sit at counter that "divided" or delineated the space... but it was open, and not a separate room.

I have looked at houses that had kitchens that were separated rooms... but those kitchens always seemed small and tunnel like to me... and oddly, l don't recall any of those places having a dining room... wow, tiny kitchen, no dining room... where would one eat? Probably why I never bought one of those places.
Old 06-21-19, 07:46 AM
Will G

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Open floor plan with dining table not in the dining room. Other than Friday night (or whatever night works into the schedule) which is pizza/movie night, the whole family sits down at the table. No phone calls or electronic devices allowed.
Old 06-21-19, 09:29 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 630, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '83 Fuji America, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
With an modern open floor plan home like ours there is no "dining room".
We cook most of my own meals for ourselves, family and friends and we sit down to eat at the kitchen table together, mostly.
We are kitchen people helping in the tasks of meal prep and/or just hanging about in the comfortable open space adjacent to the kitchen but meals are a sit-down TV/Devices-Off tradition.
We don't own TV trays and if you want a meal it isn't carried off to be consumed in a bedroom, but complex schedules, illness and work times are accommodated as best as we can.

Out of the home one does as best as one can by not eating total junk and sitting down to enjoy it as much as one can, although walking along eating an occasional hot dog on a nice day works for me.
Wolfing down food-like substances in an automobile? Nope.

-Bandera
Golly. This could have been my answer. Verbatim. The only difference is that our open plan also includes a dining room that we do use on occasion. Maybe 10-15 times per year when entertaining.
Old 06-22-19, 10:24 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Ahhh... but you HAVE a dining room... this is something I have never had. I have never lived in a house with a formal dining room.

I have relatives and friends that have such a thing... but I have only ever had a table near a kitchen that itself was part of a much larger room.
Recall, the OP says "oes anyone still eat in their dining rooms, or kitchens at home?" As I read it, the intent of the question was about dining at a dining table vs on the couch or on the go.

FWIW though thinking back over the maybe 10-20 houses/apartments I've lived in growing up, through school, and on my own, maybe 1 had a 'formal' dining room, meaning a room that was architecturally separated (by walls with doors or at least open archways) from both the kitchen and the 'living room'. But all of those places had at least what would be clearly designated a 'dining area', a place architecturally designated to contain a dining table (usually at least by a hanging light/chandelier intended to illuminate the table).