Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Put Together a Counterfeit Bicycle i.e. Intentionally incorrect decals?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Has Anyone Put Together a Counterfeit Bicycle i.e. Intentionally incorrect decals?

Old 08-25-16, 02:46 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
OP probably has a great interest in the Crampy throwing Athena under the bus thread.
How could anyone not be interested in such an absolutely outstandingly-titled thread, featuring even more enriching content?
Old 08-25-16, 02:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My 1987 Bianchi I am almost positive came with a chrome fork. They replaced the fork with the frame in 1989 when I cracked the frame near the FD braze-on. The new fork does not have the chrome, and I think I remember being slightly annoyed (but after waiting a year for a replacement when my bike frame cracked, my girlfriend dumped me, and it looked like my PhD thesis project would never work, that was the least of my concerns).
Old 08-25-16, 04:35 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
In the early 90's , I stripped the paint off my Bridgestone MTB (I know, I know, --- but they weren't "cult classics" then ) -- I wanted to put a fade paint job on it reminiscent of the Kleins that I admired at the time

I couldn't find any Bridgestone decals, so I just used some Marin decals I had

-- I felt like it was a lateral move and didn't really matter that much,
Old 08-25-16, 04:47 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I noticed Bianchi will only sell 2 sets of decals to any one person; presumably they have concerns about counterfeiting.

I want to get some nice shiny blue Enve stickers for my aluminum rims.

Yes but can't you download the decals and print them on decal paper? I have several sheets of Peugeot decals.
Old 08-25-16, 05:49 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Marco
My post-powdercoat Trek 520 needed something and the original decals were rather boring, so I had these made up by a vinyl shop with a decent website that made it easy to order. It's my last name, ....

Vermillion is your last name? Beautiful. Vermillion is one of my three favorite colors.
Old 08-25-16, 06:07 PM
Don Marco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Vermillion is your last name? Beautiful. Vermillion is one of my three favorite colors.
Thanks. I do figure I kind of won the name lottery.

It was fun playing with names for our kids. My wife was after "Ruby Rose" if we had a girl. Fortunately, we did not.
Old 08-25-16, 06:53 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
A coincidence but, I am currently working with another favorite with that name, a wood called African Padauk, sometimes known as vermillion because of the vibrant color, building a custom headboard for our new bed.
Old 08-25-16, 08:11 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Marco
Thanks. I do figure I kind of won the name lottery.

It was fun playing with names for our kids. My wife was after "Ruby Rose" if we had a girl. Fortunately, we did not.
I always thought "Maglia Rosa" would make a great girl's name.
Old 08-26-16, 10:25 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
At least its the same brand, that is a defense.

It is rather funny though as Ocana rode non- Motobecane, but badged as such (including Speedwell ti).

As for this frame, stamped into a tube are the numbers 888 for Vitus 888, the one decal that I'd like to have. The bottom bracket has all sorts of stampings, perhaps for the production line, ahemm quality control.... I don't know. Frame and fork was lighter than my 531 Le Champion.... go figure.

Primarily for one of the granddaughters yet I'll occasionally ride this bike. I'm cramped fitting to it but if my legs feel happy, have challenged a few on group rides. Its a hoot during the times when pulling a train of modern bikes. Respectable rider, nothing to hype about though. Fun handling riding on NOS cheapo earlier Conti Giro's tubulars.

FYI. Started out as a $35 find. Trade bait and or sold some of the original bits (Shimano Arabesque derailleurs, wheels, etc.). Went digging through the parts boxes, salvaged rough looking Campy NR in the shift department, hubs, seat post. Kept and cleaned up the Moto marked brakes, crank and bars. Near zero cost.

I find if the bikes are attractive or flashy, the youngsters gravitate to them. My goal is to get them acclimated to cycling with hints of riding in vintage events, learn something different, maybe capture interest in a more advanced bike and or show care for the past. I think the BiC tribute has it. At worst, if it gets some road rash or stolen, its no biggie either.

In the pipeline is another tribute build. For another granddaughter, its a small framed Billato made early LeMond. Getting the wild paint scheme and team Z livery, traits of G.L. with the squirrelly Scott Drop-in bars. Again, done on absurd low budget. If one has the time, any of this stuff can be done for near cost of a big box store bike. To me, thats satisfying.
Old 08-26-16, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mid 80s A big Appliance store in Daly City gave a "free" bike when you bought a New Fridge Washer, dryer TV, etc.

A the time I had a Specialized Expedition Touring Bike, they happened to use the same grey Paint color.

Shop I Worked for got a lot of The PRC free bikes in for tuneups.. eventually My Touring bike had the stickers
off the "Firenze" bikes ..

Never made it to Florence, Italy , so I never had to explain The Joke to them..

./.
Old 08-26-16, 02:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
It is rather funny though as Ocana rode non- Motobecane, but badged as such (including Speedwell ti).

As for this frame, stamped into a tube are the numbers 888 for Vitus 888, the one decal that I'd like to have. The bottom bracket has all sorts of stampings, perhaps for the production line, ahemm quality control.... I don't know. Frame and fork was lighter than my 531 Le Champion.... go figure.

Primarily for one of the granddaughters yet I'll occasionally ride this bike. I'm cramped fitting to it but if my legs feel happy, have challenged a few on group rides. Its a hoot during the times when pulling a train of modern bikes. Respectable rider, nothing to hype about though. Fun handling riding on NOS cheapo earlier Conti Giro's tubulars.

FYI. Started out as a $35 find. Trade bait and or sold some of the original bits (Shimano Arabesque derailleurs, wheels, etc.). Went digging through the parts boxes, salvaged rough looking Campy NR in the shift department, hubs, seat post. Kept and cleaned up the Moto marked brakes, crank and bars. Near zero cost.

I find if the bikes are attractive or flashy, the youngsters gravitate to them. My goal is to get them acclimated to cycling with hints of riding in vintage events, learn something different, maybe capture interest in a more advanced bike and or show care for the past. I think the BiC tribute has it. At worst, if it gets some road rash or stolen, its no biggie either.

In the pipeline is another tribute build. For another granddaughter, its a small framed Billato made early LeMond. Getting the wild paint scheme and team Z livery, traits of G.L. with the squirrelly Scott Drop-in bars. Again, done on absurd low budget. If one has the time, any of this stuff can be done for near cost of a big box store bike. To me, thats satisfying.
Good luck finding a Gemini, I missed one.
Frequent Rene Herse seller had one for auction on everyone's "favorite" site.
$1,500… no takers twice.
$1,200… nope.
Missed it when it was relisted for $1,000. So it goes!
Old 08-26-16, 03:17 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
I created decals using my C&V User ID. I was inspired by Lascauxcaveman's Velo Cheapo.

I'll put them on my late 80's Performance Vitesse after I color sand the paint.

Tyler.Fred decals.jpg
Old 08-26-16, 05:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
I don't think I would intentionally re-badge an off-brand bike to something else (other than maybe a personal label).

Maybe badging an unlabelled bike that seemed to match the target make... best guess. Even with that, I'd be very careful/conservative.

As far as the Bianchi project, I would have less qualms about choosing Bianchi decals & finish to meet your needs, and putting them on a different model Bianchi. You can get it chromed if you wish. However, I'd still be careful about using incorrect model labels.
Old 08-27-16, 10:14 PM
italianbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Interesting topic. I'm actually a Bianchi fan and looking for a Thrashed Mondiale frame, I've had an idea brewing for sometime and was just scouring the internet looking for one of these higher end vintage frames. If I were you, I would stay in the same brand of bikes instead of re-branding it. Keep the Bianchi the Bianchi and De rosa a De rosa. Its your bike have fun with it.
Old 08-27-16, 10:28 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
In the early 90's , I stripped the paint off my Bridgestone MTB (I know, I know, --- but they weren't "cult classics" then ) -- I wanted to put a fade paint job on it reminiscent of the Kleins that I admired at the time

I couldn't find any Bridgestone decals, so I just used some Marin decals I had

-- I felt like it was a lateral move and didn't really matter that much,
Do you still have it? It would be hell trying to figure out the serial number/origin of the bike for an unsuspecting buyer.
Old 08-28-16, 03:54 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Back in the mid 70's the Peugeot dealer a few blocks from our shop painted an old Huffy gas pipe bike white and put Peugeot decals on it.

They also put a GUARANTEED NOT MADE WITH REYNOLDS 531 sticker on it and used it as a shop bike for lunch runs and so on!

verktyg

Chas.

Chas. ;-)

Old 08-28-16, 06:45 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by degan
Do you still have it? It would be hell trying to figure out the serial number/origin of the bike for an unsuspecting buyer.
I still have it --- its primer grey now with no decals

However, my "give a shoot" disappears as soon as it leaves my garage ---- As said, a midrange Bridgestone re-badged as a Marin (who also made very nice machines in that era) , but still with mid range componentry -- is just another $200 mountain bike in my eyes (basically, it wasn't an MB-1 or an MB-Zip
Old 08-28-16, 07:07 AM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
I did build up a set of Campy hubs with new Sun rims, removed the garish Sun rim decals and replaced them with more subtle vintage Rigida decals.

I guess I could have left the rims plain.......
Old 07-02-19, 07:56 PM
RG604
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by armstrong101
Hi folks

I've had the thought of putting together a counterfeit Bianchi. The reason is - I like the late 1980s mint celeste paint scheme and decals (the one with the line going through "Bianchi"). But I also want it to have a chrome fork and chrome rear triangle. Late 80s Bianchis weren't made this way (one chromed stay on the Mondiale, two chromed stays on the X4, neither came stock with a chromed fork).

So the thought has occurred for me to procure another bike (preferably from a lesser-known manufacturer, as I wouldn't want to do this with a De Rosa, Cinelli, Pinarello etc.) with chromed fork/triangle, repaint the middle, and apply the appropriate decals. And then make it my badazz rider.

Has anyone done anything like this?

I know this is a late reply; but if you put one brand's decals on another maker's bike, then you are a fraud. Don't be a fraud.
Old 07-02-19, 08:05 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,890 Times in 927 Posts

Fraud.
Old 07-02-19, 08:06 PM
RG604
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know this is a late reply but there is nothing more pathetic than people who make these fake-marque bikes. If you label one bike maker as another, then you are a fraud. Either be proud of what you have, or work harder and make more money so you can afford the bike you want. Don't be a fraud, 'cause then you're just telling everyone that you're a liar and a loser.
Old 07-02-19, 08:30 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 2,222 Times in 1,045 Posts
So why are you digging up old threads to post this? Late reply? yeah, several years too late. Seems to be a recurring theme with your criticizing, argumentative posts.
Geez, there are better ways to increase your post count and contribute positively here.

Last edited by hazetguy; 07-02-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 08:35 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 2,222 Times in 1,045 Posts

another loser fraud.
Old 07-02-19, 08:46 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 3,075 Times in 1,940 Posts
There could be some funny ones...

DeRossa
Chioch
Beeanchi (With some bumblers on the paint)
PooJoe

Or...Atilla...
Old 07-03-19, 09:04 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Thread closed. If there’s interest in this or other older subjects, start a new thread instead.