Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 04-19-19, 10:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Getting over 1400w, the front wheel is actually coming off the road. I don't know how these guys that do 1700w do it. To me that's an unfathomable kind of number.
If your wheel is popping, that's a form issue. Some ways to address it are to get lower and pull back on your bars instead of up, and to push back on the pedals instead of up/down (i.e. pedal like you are kicking back toward the RD.)

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
One of our best local masters sprinters--really big guy, well over 220lb I think. He hit the weights all winter, and he is sweeping all the 50+ races. He went from a nobody Cat 4 fodder fat guy 2 years ago to one of the top local guys in this short amount of time. He's such a big guy that I don't even bother looking at his numbers, they are meaningless to someone like me (non-comparable).

Everything about that makes me think there is more to it than just lifting.
Old 04-19-19, 11:54 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
If your wheel is popping, that's a form issue. Some ways to address it are to get lower and pull back on your bars instead of up, and to push back on the pedals instead of up/down (i.e. pedal like you are kicking back toward the RD.)

Everything about that makes me think there is more to it than just lifting.
I'm actually going to change my bike setup to address fit. When I look down my front hub is well in front of my handlebars. I need to be longer so that I can be more forward in the sprint. I think this will help with both speed (aero) and power generation. Excited to see if this is the case.

I'm sure some people are doping locally, but it's pretty impossible for any of us to know short of testing. Even testing doesn't necessarily catch dopers. Doping is so easy, just see your doctor and get testosterone. But I give people the benefit of the doubt. I'm racing for $20 gift certificates.
Old 04-19-19, 01:51 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Another brick last night. Short jog around the block then onto the bike for 30mi. More tempo. The way out of town has all the starts and stops and little rollers. So of course the long straight line back into town was a persistent headwind.

Since I was on the TT bike, I left 15min ahead of the "worlds" group. On the northern lollipop I caught the B's and passed them since the route doubles back on itself. They were really struggling dealing with the headwind. Down hill the false flat I think they were maybe going 17. It was all I could do to keep it at 20 for that long a period of time. Almost 22 avg. Not quite.

Today is off day. Bad weather locally, rain, branches falling. Not a good day to be outdoors. Don't want to injure with the running. Perhaps some yoga.
Old 04-19-19, 05:24 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Hard group race ride last night. Briding and attacking. Couldn't match the last acceleration, caught back on at a stop sont then had no legs for the sprint. Fun times.

Today was about 2 hours on the mtb after lifting this morning. Legs gonna be tired for a long ride tomo.
Old 04-19-19, 06:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
@Ttoc6 It is okay to attack but bride these guys...I am not so sure.
Old 04-19-19, 06:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Auto correct letting me down.
Old 04-19-19, 08:21 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Re. wheel movement in sprints. I've got my sprint back up over 1300, and I guess due to me not being used to it lately I had some wheels moving around. It happened years ago when I first started sprinting but went away quickly.

Today was 4x8 w 2' rbi again (after back and bi day... if I end up racing should I worry if my biceps get too big? I'm eligible to race masters this year...). Felt good for the intervals this time, increased power a bit each effort. Averaged 109% of what I have my ftp set at currently. I'm liking this effort/rest length - it's long enough to feel like I'm working threshold but short enough to hit > ftp power, not to mention 20 minutes from home so I can fit in a solid workout in 90 minutes.
Old 04-20-19, 08:35 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Re. wheel movement in sprints. I've got my sprint back up over 1300, and I guess due to me not being used to it lately I had some wheels moving around. It happened years ago when I first started sprinting but went away quickly.

Today was 4x8 w 2' rbi again (after back and bi day... if I end up racing should I worry if my biceps get too big? I'm eligible to race masters this year...). Felt good for the intervals this time, increased power a bit each effort. Averaged 109% of what I have my ftp set at currently. I'm liking this effort/rest length - it's long enough to feel like I'm working threshold but short enough to hit > ftp power, not to mention 20 minutes from home so I can fit in a solid workout in 90 minutes.
I believe that mattm has a nomograph that plots bicep diameter against sprint power and calculates a probability of doping if one is over 35 years old. Beware if he shows up at a race with a tape measure.
Old 04-20-19, 08:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Track workout on Thursday 30on/30off and a roller recovery ride on Friday. I have not decided which one was harder the efforts at the track or the tedium of 30' of high cadence with low power on the rollers.
Old 04-20-19, 09:00 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Thought I'd pop in on a comment junior made. He added sleep to his training schedule.

What I thought was unusual is it was just done like an increase in gym time, road time and eating he straight face told me if he did balance increased effort with more rest he wouldn't gain as much. We then talked about ratios which vary depending on activity. For now like 3 in the gym and 4-5 on the bike.

This year for Nats U23 he is cutting out the RR as he can't work the ratios (enough time) to train for it. So we fly in the day before do the ITT, and leave. Maybe crit, depending on schedule but likely too much time.
Old 04-20-19, 09:25 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Thought I'd pop in on a comment junior made. He added sleep to his training schedule.

What I thought was unusual is it was just done like an increase in gym time, road time and eating he straight face told me if he did balance increased effort with more rest he wouldn't gain as much. We then talked about ratios which vary depending on activity. For now like 3 in the gym and 4-5 on the bike.

This year for Nats U23 he is cutting out the RR as he can't work the ratios (enough time) to train for it. So we fly in the day before do the ITT, and leave. Maybe crit, depending on schedule but likely too much time.
Hey Dad, I haven't slept in a few years, do you think doing so would make me faster?
Old 04-20-19, 12:58 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I'm always amazed by the raw power of all my peers. If sprints were won by max wattage, I'd probably stop contesting sprint finishes!
Old 04-20-19, 01:29 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Hey Dad, I haven't slept in a few years, do you think doing so would make me faster?
Ha. I get the joke part.
But I think he is correct going from 7 hours and increasing to 8 hours of sleep a night is better than going from 2 hours of lifting/week to 6 hours/week - on the 7 hours sleep.

It is a mix and that mix depends on what you are doing.

Last edited by Doge; 04-20-19 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-20-19, 04:48 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

About 4 hours riding with a teammate. Couple of food stops and a flat. I'd reccomend the new "gamer fuel" by my dew as your next convenience store, roadside pick up. 90 calories, 90mg of caffeine, a resealable lid and tastes pretty decent.
Old 04-20-19, 05:59 PM
aaronmcd

8 hours is my minimum sleep requirement. 10ish on rest days.

I got off schedule and today was to be sprints or resting, depending. Hmm. Went to the gym and did a bunch of 10" low resistance ~200rpm sprints on the stationary bike. I said upthread somewhere my cadence at max power is too low currently (probably due to all the gym work) so I may as well work on getting leg speed up.
Old 04-20-19, 07:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Endurance ride through Camp Pendleton and San Onofre State Park. It was cool with clouds and moderate wind. Then off to the gym to work on my biceps.

I am really getting into my new training program.
Old 04-20-19, 11:41 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by Hermes
Endurance ride through Camp Pendleton and San Onofre State Park. It was cool with clouds and moderate wind. Then off to the gym to work on my biceps.

I am really getting into my new training program.
Oh yes... "Off to the gym"... to work on your "biceps".
Old 04-21-19, 02:41 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The build is over, now I'm into taper territory. The hill repeats went well; coach wanted ~4k of climbing and I got 3940 feet, would've been more but it was the first day of a four-day weekend and the road I was doing the last set of repeats on was crowded with folks towing camper trailers and boats, and the pavement ended at the edge of the fog line. I didn't want to take the chance of becoming an F150's hood ornament.

I did a 30 minute run yesterday and an hour recovery ride this morning. The only efforts this week will be a 20-30 minute sweet spot interval Wednesday and 3x5' threshold intervals Friday for openers.

CTL is 95, ATL is 97.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-21-19, 03:09 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Raced yesterday. Pretty fun, teammate in the break. Rolled as we passed the women's p/1/2 field through a buncha corners but fair enough play.

3hrs of power today (excluding warmup/cooldown). Broke the 4w/kg AP marker which is pretty rad, especially the day after a race. Best 3hr effort by something like 20w.

Backing off and going into maintenance mode since the races are getting into terrain that suits me better, see if I can snag me some upgrade points.
Old 04-21-19, 04:08 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Did a 20 minute outside test today because I really don't have a clue what my outside power is since all of my 20+ efforts are indoors. I was vastly short of my goal and pr's as I overcooked the start almost breaking my 4 minute pr. I've also been doing this long enough to know I'm not quite 'on form' yet (ctl 75) and don't have the feeling yet.

Rolling downhill to the start opposite traffic some jackamo decided to illegally pass on the shoulder and while it was about 200m away I ditched off the road. I wouldn't say that ruined my test but you can see my HR randomly jump when that happened. I'm cammed 95% of the time (you can see me now at xxxMaxWattagexxx.com (must be 18 or older)) but unfortunately it was off. Had it been on that would have 100% been sent to CHP.
Old 04-21-19, 06:24 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Ski resort closed today so I got some laps in. Fun slush skiing and some gym time this afternoon when I got back down the hill.
Old 04-21-19, 10:46 PM
aaronmcd

Deadlifts and front squats for 90 minutes, then 3:45 riding with 5x8 over threshold and 20 minutes under.

Then watched hundreds of costumed ppl ride big wheels down the windiest road in SF (Vermont St, in my neighborhood).
Old 04-22-19, 06:45 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Over 500 TSS last week. Another 5k on Saturday, Sunday off.

This week will get in a few good TT bike workouts and slow running before this weekend's "event".

Get passed by runners, then chase carrots.

Local informal TT on Weds night.

I need to play it right and have the wife let me do the TT in June. I don't understand why though they post on the event bullet points "follow all traffic laws".......I really hope you have marshalls in the turns so I'm not losing time for stupid stuff. Otherwise I may as well do my local Strava route.
Old 04-22-19, 07:04 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
With the weather getting warmer, im going to have switch to going to the gym first thing in the morning before work. Never was much a morning person, and definitely dont like working out in the morning during the week..but it is going to be hard to balance lifting and riding if i want to keep doing both.
Old 04-22-19, 12:08 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Deadlifts and front squats for 90 minutes, then 3:45 riding with 5x8 over threshold and 20 minutes under.

Then watched hundreds of costumed ppl ride big wheels down the windiest road in SF (Vermont St, in my neighborhood).
I like the leg work followed by cycling. That is what I had to do at my coaches cycling gym. I also think that there is benefit to reinforcing the cycling neurology after leg work.

I can see Keirin cut jeans in your future along with sleeveless jerseys to accommodate your biceps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.