Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bags and Other Storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 03:10 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Bags and Other Storage

Nvm

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 01-06-21 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 05:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I use a jandd mountain wedge expandable for most riding. Fits everything I usually bring plus some food since its 1.9l closed and 2.9l expanded.
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMWEX

for long rides where i won't hit another town for 25+ mi at a time, I have a jandd mountain wedge 3 that is 6-7.5l depending of its expanded or not.
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRDUCT_ID=FMW3

I have a frame bag, but dont love it due to how it attaches combined with how my cables are routed. Plus, it can get wide and interfere with my knees if its packed full.

0 interest in a rear rack + trunk bag. No thanks for gravel.
Old 08-26-18, 06:34 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I had been running a under-saddle bag just big enough for a tube and patch kit, and a small triangle bag just big enough for mini-pump, pocket tool, and a few other random fix-it items...both were crammed full and a PITA if i needed to get anything out.

I recently upgraded to a half-frame bag. Found one that fit perfect at the LBS...best part is that not only do my two water bottles still fit in the cages, but the mouthpieces fit snug against the bottom of the frame bag, thus helping keep dust off. Plenty of room for everything I had plus some snacks etc for longer rides.

i have another small top tube bag with clear plastic top that I keep my phone and usb battery pack for long rides.

Old 08-26-18, 07:29 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm running Apidua 3L compact frame bag and a 1L top tube bag behind the stem, usually exclusive of each other.

For local gravel the top tube bag holds 3 gels, two or three sleeves of Gu Chews, some Nuun tabs and usually my pepper spray. I sometimes use it to carry a camera and micro-tripod. It will definitely hold 4x Cliff bars. It is slightly padded on the side and I don't know why - it seems odd.

The frame bag will hold a t-shirt and light running pants rolled up, small cable lock and glasses when I ride to place where I don't want to be in cycling shorts. It will be a little wide if I add a rain jacket. For true gravel rides it will hold a water filtration system, sandwich and rain jacket. Local winter rides I'll carry a Thermos of hot soup in the frame pack. This sounds like it will be too much for you.

These are not the waterproof versions. I have had clothing get wet in a 1 hour torrential rain - not sodden but certainly wetter then I would have liked.

Quality is top notch and shipping was five days from London to ATL.

You are welcome to try either.

Old 08-26-18, 08:21 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I have not tried that myself, but there are several guys that I know that use the Dakine Hot laps fanny pack.

This strikes me as the MTB/gravel version of rear jersey pockets. The added advantage is that you take it off and throw it in the pannier of the commuter bike so you don't have to have duplicates of everything.

The guys that I have talked to like them a lot.
Old 08-26-18, 08:47 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Fully racked and fendered here. Most tools go in a downtube tool bottle or a Silca tool wallet (where the spare 40mm tube goes and flat kit) strapped to my front rack. Otherwise for touring I have panniers and a handlebar and trunk bags.

Having lots of bags to pick from gives lots of options, depending on needs of what I want to bring and how much...as well as where to put the load to keep things getting too bizarrely distributed in terms of weight. For JRA I'll just use the tool-bottle/tool-wrap/ and my pockets, commuting I'll add trunk or a pannier.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 08-26-18 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 08:48 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I use a Revelate Feedbag on every ride now and it's pretty amazing how much I can jam in there. For shorter rides that's all I use. Multitool, patchkit/CO2, tire lever, and my Endura Pakajak all fit in there with my phone, and an energy bar.
Longer rides/overnight I use some combination of feedbag/framebag/seatbag.
Old 08-27-18, 05:51 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The smartest guy I've seen is someone I go on group rides with. He has an expensive carbon race bike but he uses a Banjo Bros handlebar bag, carries all kinds of stuff in it. It uses a quick release attached to the bars so it doesn't flop around and he doesn't have to strap it. Since it's not strapped down you don't lose any hand space on the tops. It looks much better in person than you think it would. Thinking about getting one myself.

Old 08-27-18, 08:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

(Image credit TMB Images)

I just bought an Ortlieb to hold cue sheets in bad weather. I rode Westside Dirty Benjamin in pouring rain - cue sheets were pulp after 20 miles of a 100-mile route and the only person in my group that still had functional cue sheets was using a handlebar bag with a map holder. It's not the 'cool' option, and will not be part of most gravel rides, but it was great for The DAMn (240-mile one day gravel ride). The bag held two cue sheets at a time, it was easy to change the cue sheets on the fly, and it was easy to access food in the bag.

Training ride pic showing the cue sheet/map window.

I've always used and enjoyed an older Revelate Gas Tank for food and a Banjo Bros saddle bag for tools, tubes, etc. Depending on the ride and weather conditions, I mix in a CamelBak Lobo which can carry a lot of gear.

For The DAMn, I used all of the above and was very happy with my set up.

Edit/afterthought - For a fanny pack - many friends like the local brand (Minneapolis) - Trash Bags Waste Basket. I plan to add on, but not likely use it on gravel rides ... if I'm going to wear something on my body, it'll be the CamelBak (super comfy and not as hot as you'd think)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-27-18 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-27-18, 11:08 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Banjo Bros = excellent bang for buck. I have their small frame bag - was only around $32.
Old 08-29-18, 09:55 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts

Revelate Pika

Brent
Old 08-30-18, 01:50 PM
cred0021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Topeak seat bag for all my tools, etc. that I rarely need. Got a Rogue Panda Alamo bag up front for stuff I access frequently: money, snacks, etc. - a Ruger LCP 380 fits in there nicely as well, for riding in the country...

Just bought a Topeak Super Tourist DX rack that I haven't installed yet, if I need to carry more stuff.

Couldn't load a pic since I haven't posted enough, sorry.
Old 08-31-18, 09:57 AM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I like Acorn bags. Classy, classic, good designs, and well made in the U.S. https://www.acornbags.com/password
Old 08-31-18, 04:20 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I'm just using a tool bottle at the moment to carry my puncture repair tools and I carry my phone in my running belt around my waist.

The bicycle pump is mounted under one of the bottle cages.

Old 09-01-18, 12:44 PM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

i could never keep the roadrunner burrito bag secure enough around my handlebars. it would always come loose over real rocky terrain. so i threw it in the trash.
my custom yanco rumblin roll carries a tube, patchkit, and a multitool. co2 is kind of a joke. i like my silca impero.
Old 09-02-18, 12:29 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
Here is my Centurion Pro Tour with a half frame bag (Apidura, I think) and an Acorn Tool roll.

Old 09-02-18, 11:03 AM
wheelsmcgee

Originally Posted by motrheadsroadie

i could never keep the roadrunner burrito bag secure enough around my handlebars. it would always come loose over real rocky terrain. so i threw it in the trash.
my custom yanco rumblin roll carries a tube, patchkit, and a multitool. co2 is kind of a joke. i like my silca impero.
Sorry, I just have to ask...what’s that carabiner-ed to your seat?
Looks like a coffee mug and a bong had a baby. 😁
Old 09-02-18, 11:26 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Two small ones.

Tire and maintenance needs are housed in an Arundel Tubi, mounted between the bottle cages via a WolfTooth B-RAD 4... and some custom bits. CO2 to one side of the seattube bottle cage, pump is on the other.
Phone, spare batteries, etc, lives in a repurposed Molle bag on a handlebar mount (which also serves as out-front for the GPS, and holds my BT speaker.) The phone pocket is the one that's unzipped.

Old 09-02-18, 11:40 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

For kitchen sinks and more. Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag.
Old 09-02-18, 01:19 PM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
Sorry, I just have to ask...what’s that carabiner-ed to your seat?
Looks like a coffee mug and a bong had a baby. 😁
https://www.instagram.com/danglebongs thats exactly what it is
Old 09-02-18, 01:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

DUDE that is so awesome! I see Ultra Romance is one of their spokesmodels.
Old 09-02-18, 03:27 PM
wheelsmcgee

Awesome...that thing looks quality.

Old 09-02-18, 04:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
That's awesome, do you have any more pics of the mount? I've been spitballing doing something similar with a waterbottle handlebar mount to hold a bag. Yours looks much more sturdy.
I start with some GoPro handlebar mounts from Amazon, and a strip of G10/FR4 from McMaster-- about $15-- this lets me build it to whatever dimensions I want. The mounts are fantastic for 6 bucks a pop-- I've never had the mount budge once. G10 is fairly easy to work. This is probably my fifth iteration of the Boombot mount, which would be completely unnecessary for anyone else.

I was originally using a smaller Molle pouch, one to just hold my phone, then stumbled across the above-pictured on on Amazon for under 10 bucks. It's very roomy, and very nice quality. Again, by going with Molle, you can find a bag in absolutely any size or configuration.

Old 09-02-18, 06:08 PM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I didn't set out to have nothing but Revelate bags but at the moment that is how things have ended up:

Sorry for the crappy garage pic and ignore the tag hanging from the saddle. Just got it and am evaluating it. I also have a Revelate "feed bag" but only very rarely use that on long, unsupported rides in hot weather where I might want to carry extra water. Tried a few other options including a trunk bag on a rack and a couple of other frame bag models and like this one (the Tangle) the best. My bike lock (TIGR Mini+) fits inside of it, which is nice, but most of the time it is fairly empty other than the lock, my pump, levers, and a couple of tubes. The bag itself weighs next to nothing empty
Old 09-02-18, 07:27 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I use a large Bontrager seat pack for my bike repair stuff (the bottom is pretty water and mud resistant), and a Jandd Bike Bag for extra...stuff...on longer rides.

These pics are from winter "gravel", but you get the idea. I have the Lion bag on my gravel bike, which goes nicely with the Lions Ride for Sight cycling socks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.