Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Old 03-14-19, 12:15 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
LB is in the middle between the uber-cheap and the expensive.
Exactly, that is what I was getting at.

To me, "too cheap to be true" would be a full deep-section carbon fiber wheelset for $200 on Ebay from a Chinese Ebay seller that ships straight from Taiwan or Hong Kong. (which there are a lot of, just search on Ebay for Carbon Fiber wheelset and sort by lowest price).

At the prices Light Bicycle are charging, I can believe they provide a quality product, and the price difference really is in the marketing and "cutting out the middle man". The fact that they have been around for almost a decade, without much if any negative press to speak of, says something too. I doubt many Ebay sellers have been around for that long.
Old 03-14-19, 12:23 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
However, that would mean believing that almost every single other mainstream wheel manufacturer is basically scamming us out of our money by charging us hand over fist and providing us with technologically inferior wheels.

Besides ease of communication, can anyone provide me with a good reason to go with a mainstream wheel over LB? I’m just out here looking for a “catch”. I get very uncomfortable around deals with no “catch”. Usually the catch is $$$.
Maybe not inferior, but probably not that much more exceptional either. It's the same reason people pay more for a Lexus over a Toyota, the status and name, even though they're basically the same car. Past a certain point, you're not paying for quality anymore, you're paying for exclusivity.

From what I've seen others post about Zipp, Enve and other big names, LB quality is on par if not better, imo. My wheels are absolutely flawless, I've seen multiple threads about QC issues and defects in "big name" wheelsets. As far as communication and support, communication during my build/wait was fantastic. They offer a three year warranty, and while I would have to wait for a replacement to get shipped to me, that's a price I was willing to pay to save money and buy direct.
Old 03-14-19, 12:43 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
since we are talking about good value wheelsets, just found this on Merlin, $606 for DT240s CL and under 1500g, the hubs alone would cost over $400 and the DT Aerolite is as good as CX-ray if not better. Only downside is the 24h
Old 03-14-19, 01:07 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
since we are talking about good value wheelsets, just found this on Merlin, $606 for DT240s CL and under 1500g, the hubs alone would cost over $400 and the DT Aerolite is as good as CX-ray if not better. Only downside is the 24h
Those aren't DT240s hubs, unless DT made some major changes to their hubs.
Old 03-14-19, 02:16 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
LB has been around for a while. One of my coworkers bought had a dozen sets for a shop team 5 years ago (back when Am Classic hubs were still a thing) his only dislike were the alloy nips. I don't really have any dislikes about my set.
Out of curiosity, was his dislike the specific alloy nipples used, or the fact that they were alloy and not brass? Does LB have a brass option? Just wondering if going alloy instead of brass means avoiding rain at all costs (i.e., half the year in the PNW), or expecting to replace them every couple years.
Old 03-14-19, 02:25 PM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by surak
Out of curiosity, was his dislike the specific alloy nipples used, or the fact that they were alloy and not brass? Does LB have a brass option? Just wondering if going alloy instead of brass means avoiding rain at all costs (i.e., half the year in the PNW), or expecting to replace them every couple years.
Brass is an option. But I've also read that the treated Sapim alloy nipples are not as prone to corrosion and should be trouble free.
Old 03-14-19, 02:38 PM
maartendc

I can tell you that alloy nipples are way softer too, so if your wheel requires frequent truing, they get deformed.

LB does have a brass option.
Old 03-14-19, 02:45 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
He's a cross racer, and that is hell on equipment....also that was 5 years ago. IIRC the Sapim spokes/nips they use now are better treated. LB offers brass, but IIRC only on direct-from-china orders, not their US where house. At least that was the case back in December.

On another note. Rode to/from work yesterday in our pre-bomb-cyclone weather....46mm rims are nowhere near as reactive to crosswinds as I thought.
Old 03-14-19, 02:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash

That’s the way I want to be able to look at it - that all these companies just happen to be charging absurd amounts. But it’s hard to believe that, in such a competitive industry, these companies would be able to get away with it for so long.

I guess I’m really afraid of being “that guy” who took the bait and paid in flesh and blood instead of $, despite all of my friends telling me so. Moreso the social humiliation than the physical pain 😂
The Enve 4.5 ARs, or prototype versions of them, spent hundreds of hours in a wind tunnel on half a dozen different bikes. The LB ones didn't. That's not important to 99% of the world's cyclists, but it's an expensive difference. It's important to enough people (triathletes, racers) to justify the price, and gives them a boutique reputation that entices a smaller number of cyclists to buy them. Also they have some cool tech, and fantastic service.

I'm not trying to sell you Enve wheels, I'm trying to shed light on the issue.
Old 03-14-19, 02:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by noodle soup
The LB 36mm, 46mm, and 56mm hoops were released in early 2018, and I have yet to find one bad review of them in any forum or blog.
You're doing a good job of making these sound really attractive.

For no good reason, I'd like another set of carbon hoops. I like the way shallower ones look. Sounds like if I don't want to spend $$$ Light Bicycle should be at the top of my list.
Old 03-14-19, 02:52 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The Enve 4.5 ARs, or prototype versions of them, spent hundreds of hours in a wind tunnel on half a dozen different bikes. The LB ones didn't. That's not important to 99% of the world's cyclists, but it's an expensive difference. It's important to enough people (triathletes, racers) to justify the price, and gives them a boutique reputation that entices a smaller number of cyclists to buy them. Also they have some cool tech, and fantastic service.

I'm not trying to sell you Enve wheels, I'm trying to shed light on the issue.
So small, as it turns out, ENVE hasn't been making money for a while and AMER Sports is unloading them along with Mavic.
Old 03-14-19, 04:10 PM
Chi_Z

Those aren't DT240s hubs, unless DT made some major changes to their hubs.
DT redesigned the hubs for their own branded wheelset, i think they look sexy, too bad not for sale
Old 03-14-19, 04:24 PM
noodle soup

DT redesigned the hubs for their own branded wheelset, i think they look sexy, too bad not for sale
I haven’t seen that, but I’d love to read more about it.

Linky?
Old 03-14-19, 04:56 PM
Chi_Z

I haven’t seen that, but I’d love to read more about it.

Linky?
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...-1400/er-1400/

look at the picture, DT says the hub is 240, but that looks nothing like a 240, looks like they all share the same freehub and end caps
Old 03-14-19, 05:30 PM
noodle soup

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...-1400/er-1400/

look at the picture, DT says the hub is 240, but that looks nothing like a 240, looks like they all share the same freehub and end caps
I saw that after your post, but haven't seen anything else about the update.

The price leads me to believe that these are the hubs that DT has used for their other lower-end wheelsets. They aren't bad, but they are completely different than 350/240/180 series hubs.
Old 03-14-19, 05:40 PM
noodle soup

The Enve 4.5 ARs, or prototype versions of them, spent hundreds of hours in a wind tunnel on half a dozen different bikes. The LB ones didn't. That's not important to 99% of the world's cyclists, but it's an expensive difference
This is true. but there's nothing that's proprietary about Enve's rim shape(like Zipp hoops), so the shape is easy to copy. Rim strength and weight can be determined using FEA. The framebuilder I know does this for his framesets, and it doesn't cost a fortune.
Old 03-14-19, 06:18 PM
noodle soup

I'm just explaining why I made the purchase of 56mm Light Bicycle wheels.

On a side note, I'm already regretting my hub choice. I know DT350s hubs are better than the Novatec hubs I chose for the wheelset. I wonder if they'll let me change it at this point.

For no good reason, I'd like another set of carbon hoops. I like the way shallower ones look. Sounds like if I don't want to spend $$$ Light Bicycle should be at the top of my list.
You need a good reason to buy a new wheelset?

Old 03-14-19, 06:48 PM
noodle soup

On a side note, I'm already regretting my hub choice. I know DT350s hubs are better than the Novatec hubs I chose for the wheelset. I wonder if they'll let me change it at this point
I just sent LB an email asking if I could make a change in my wheelset.

I suspect they'll respond at about 11:30 pm Pacific time.
Old 03-14-19, 07:20 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

I'm looking at these LB wheels as well. I have rim brakes though, and am wondering if better off with the LB or the TSRs.. both (in my mind) are a gamble due to very little real long-term (or even short-term) review availability.
Specifically.. debating between these 2 products.. basically at the moment is a CF vs Alloy debate for me.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/U-shape...ompatible.html
vs
https://www.bike24.com/p2306399.html?q=tune+tsr
Old 03-14-19, 09:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

This is true. but there's nothing that's proprietary about Enve's rim shape(like Zipp hoops), so the shape is easy to copy. Rim strength and weight can be determined using FEA. The framebuilder I know does this for his framesets, and it doesn't cost a fortune.
Right. And if they messed up copying the shape, it will take you 2 or 3 seconds longer to ride 40 km. It's not a lose your teeth kind of thing.

The point is it's not a red flag that their specs come very close to big names at a fraction of the cost. That's not setting you up to be defrauded, it's how the economics works.
Old 03-14-19, 11:16 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Right. And if they messed up copying the shape, it will take you 2 or 3 seconds longer to ride 40 km. It's not a lose your teeth kind of thing.
I hope.
Old 03-14-19, 11:17 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I just sent LB an email asking if I could make a change in my wheelset.

I suspect they'll respond at about 11:30 pm Pacific time.
Weren't they supposed to have shipped on Wednesday? What is it going to add to the cost if they allow a change? And weight?

Last edited by deepakvrao; 03-14-19 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 06:47 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm looking at these LB wheels as well. I have rim brakes though, and am wondering if better off with the LB or the TSRs.. both (in my mind) are a gamble due to very little real long-term (or even short-term) review availability.
Specifically.. debating between these 2 products.. basically at the moment is a CF vs Alloy debate for me.

vs
Short term rim braking review is very positive! I have direct mount Ultegra brakes, using Swissstop Black Prince pads with the grooved graphene brake surface on my LB 46mm wheels, and the braking has been great. I have about 350 miles and 25,000ft of climbing on them so far, part of that was a century with the last 30 miles in pouring rain, and have had no issues. I weigh 83kg, and like fast descents, and have had no worries so far with stopping. I checked the brake tracks after hard braking on a long descent at 40mph and they were barely warm. These are my first carbon wheels, so I was a little concerned, but I have full confidence in them so far. They also make a pleasant sound when braking, noticeable, but not a screech.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-15-19, 08:32 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Weren't they supposed to have shipped on Wednesday? What is it going to add to the cost if they allow a change? And weight?
I'm not sure why they weren't finished, but I'm glad for the delay.

the DT 350 hub upgrade costs $62, and adds 67g. This makes the projected weight 1550g
Old 03-15-19, 08:48 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Sy Reene

vs
True, it is a question of carbon versus alloy rims, but also a question of going with a less common hub design from Tune themselves, rather than being able to choose for Bitex, Novatec, DT Swiss 350 or 240. These are much more known quantities, and you know what kind of hub quality you can expect. With limited reviews on the Tune wheels, the hub would concern me more than the rims. From a quick Google search, the Mig 170 and Mag 170 hubs are designed to be very light, but perhaps not as durable.

Also, making an alloy rim THAT light, at 35mm cross section, probably means it is not exactly what is referred to as "bomb proof". It would most likely require trueing the wheel more often if you ride on rough roads. Not sure. Kind of like the really light Kinlin 200 or 300 rims you can get on Prowheelbuilder and other custom building online stores: they are very light alloy rims, but are known to be a bit less durable than heavier versions. I think that is just the way it is: the lighter an alloy rim is, the less rigid it is.

The fact of the matter is, the Tune TSR 35 were released only in December of 2018, and it is a more niche brand, so it is logical that there would not be many / any reviews. Buying these wheels probably makes you a bit of a guinnea pig. Light Bicycle's rims have been around for longer than that.

I would trust German engineering more than Chinese engineering any day, but you cannot escape the fact that a lightweight alloy wheel is not going to be as "bullet proof" as a heavy alloy wheel. Like Others had said, it is probably a good wheelset for good weather and roads. A bit of a "race day" wheelset I guess?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.