Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Mild degenerative changes, left knee

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 10-24-18, 06:50 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 320 Posts

About a week ago, I went for a ride harder and further than usual. Like 20 miles vs my usual 10. The next day my left knee was really sore mostly on the back and up around the right side, inside of my leg. Took some Ibuprofen and it felt better. But after a week of hobbling around I went to the doc. Got xrays and more Ibuprofen. The xray guy diagnosed as per the title and dr sending me to physical therapy (PT). I’m 66 been riding a few times a week for long time. Distance has diminished over the years but never any pain beyond tiredness. Any advice? I’ve never to PT, anything I should be watching for? Thanks.
Old 10-25-18, 07:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
About a week ago, I went for a ride harder and further than usual. Like 20 miles vs my usual 10. The next day my left knee was really sore mostly on the back and up around the right side, inside of my leg. Took some Ibuprofen and it felt better. But after a week of hobbling around I went to the doc. Got xrays and more Ibuprofen. The xray guy diagnosed as per the title and dr sending me to physical therapy (PT). I’m 66 been riding a few times a week for long time. Distance has diminished over the years but never any pain beyond tiredness. Any advice? I’ve never to PT, anything I should be watching for? Thanks.
Two things fight that: flexibility and strength. IOW, stretch every day, particularly knee stretches, and go to the gym. You should probably start with a PT who'll get you on the right track for your particular issue. Then you can lift on your own and vary the program while watching results. On the bike, spin a high cadence - 100 on the flat and close to 90 climbing, which might require re-gearing.

It is said, pain in the back of the knee, lower the saddle slightly. My stretches: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post15372967
Old 10-28-18, 01:13 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I'm doing PT for a 'worn-out left knee' myself. Strangely, some of the pain has been mitigated. Except for biking during the season, I'm sort of a couch potato. The exercises have strengthened my core noticeably.

Alas, when I do the exercises, my back hurts. We're working on finding exercises that help my knee stabilize and get the quads and hams stronger without exacerbating an L4/L5 problem.

Best of luck.
Old 10-28-18, 03:43 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Could your saddle be too high?

Sometimes knee need pain can be associated with incorrect saddle height and/or pushing too hard a gear.
Old 10-29-18, 02:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check your bike fit. There's no one size fits all bike fit and a professional fitter may be of limited value for cyclists who aren't serious roadies. Even then there's no universal agreement. Chris Froome consults his Team Sky bike fitter but makes whatever adjustments he prefers, sometimes day to day, even within a race. Some days Froome's saddle is so low it looks like he stole a bike from a much shorter rider. But he wins so his team lets him make whatever adjustments he prefers and is comfortable with -- that day.

If you're using foot retention -- toe clips or clipless -- stop. Switch to generously sized platform pedals and grippy casual shoes with reasonably stiff soles, something like Five Tens. Move your feet around as you like. Don't mash. Even without foot retention it's possible to spin fairly easily, just takes a little practice.

A best buy in good sized platform pedals is Stolen Brand Thermalites. They cost only about $15 and are terrific values. Plenty of room even for my winter hiking boots. I have smaller, nicer looking platform pedals but the platform isn't generous enough for anything but summer weight narrow shoes. I like to shift my feet between having the arch centered over the pedal axle, and occasionally with the ball of the foot over the axle in the more conventional position.

Where you can benefit from basic bike fitting suggestions is in saddle adjustments. Height and fore/aft adjustments can make a significant difference in knee comfort.

And it helps to have a saddle that cooperates with your height/position adjustments. I rode a Turbo style saddle for several months that would not cooperate. It tried to force me into one position. I prefer to slide forward a bit for climbs and sprints, and slide back a bit for flats and a more casual pace. I switched to a newer, flatter style saddle with a longer nose and was immediately more comfortable, and also faster and with more stamina because the bike wasn't fighting me. Mine is a Selle Italia but it's comparable to the currently popular Fizik saddles in the mid-flexibility range.

I like my road bike with conventional gear, but when I begin to experience knee pain I get off the road bike for awhile and switch to the hybrid for a more relaxed fit that I can adjust freely to suit myself. And I switched from flat and riser handlebars to albatross, which offer more versatile hand positions and body positions, so I'm not bolt upright all the time.
Old 10-29-18, 04:22 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
A good fitter might be a good idea. A guy was recommended to me, but I hesitated, because his business is based on 3 hour consultations to recommend the best fitting bike(s) for his customers. I explained my problem - knee pain - and he said a half hour was probably all he'd need to help me.

So I spent the half hour ... my knee pain got worse. The reason for the smiley is that his adjustment made me much more efficient on the bike, so I went faster, had more fun riding, so I rode more. My PT isn't all that happy, since she agreed with the reco to get a bike fit, but I'm happy. I may pay for it in the long run, but ... my choice.

BTW, this fitter generally swears by clip-in pedals. Like canklecat, though, he recommends I stay with the pinned flat pedals because they allow me to move my foot around and usually find a placement that stops the knee pain.
Old 10-30-18, 05:34 PM
Joe Bikerider

So I went to the PT yesterday. She gave me some real good massage treatment and taught me three different stretches. $40 with my coverage. The two stretches were both similar, hands oustretched to the wall one foot back, that leg either straight and the other also straight or bent. Hold and enjoy. Other exercise “clamshell”. Lay on side, legs with knees bent. Open legs at knees, hence the clam shell name. Hold open for a while. Repeat on other side. Switch and repeat. Other advice is to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. I’ll do that tonight. After today doing some experiments my (both) legs are feeling a little different. Other things I will report later.

On an unrelated note, I am writing this sitting in the car while grandboy is at math tutor. A group of five kids like ages 9 to 5 are racing up and down the street on their bikes. That’s the way it should be. Tomorrow’s riders.
Old 10-31-18, 03:30 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
So I went to the PT yesterday. She gave me some real good massage treatment and taught me three different stretches. $40 with my coverage. The two stretches were both similar, hands oustretched to the wall one foot back, that leg either straight and the other also straight or bent. Hold and enjoy. Other exercise “clamshell”. Lay on side, legs with knees bent. Open legs at knees, hence the clam shell name. Hold open for a while. Repeat on other side. Switch and repeat. Other advice is to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. I’ll do that tonight. After today doing some experiments my (both) legs are feeling a little different. Other things I will report later.

On an unrelated note, I am writing this sitting in the car while grandboy is at math tutor. A group of five kids like ages 9 to 5 are racing up and down the street on their bikes. That’s the way it should be. Tomorrow’s riders.
Glad to read that some PT might be your solution and at $40, such a deal.

Bone on Bone solution is replace and I'm just not ready to interrupt my riding right now. Really enjoyed the easy solo 158 miles yesterday.
Old 10-31-18, 12:05 PM
Joe Bikerider

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Bone on Bone solution is replace and I'm just not ready to interrupt my riding right now. Really enjoyed the easy solo 158 miles yesterday.
At least fo me the ad showing after I read this is a knee replacement device. I’m not ready for that and I hope you keep going too. Supposed to be fun, right!
Old 10-31-18, 01:52 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts

At least fo me the ad showing after I read this is a knee replacement device. I’m not ready for that and I hope you keep going too. Supposed to be fun, right!
RIGHT ON, RIDING ON BROTHER !!!