Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

“...Frame snaps in half...”

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-13-19, 02:08 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 215 Posts

Yep, that’s a line from today’s coverage of the Tour in Velo News. Gianni Moscon was tangled up in a crash. He got up, his bike didn’t. Why, back in my day, a frame might have bent, but break? Not likely. Now you kids get off my lawn!
Old 07-13-19, 02:58 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
Oh goody gum drops!

Yet another dumb thread claiming one catastrophic failure is worse than another.

Old 07-13-19, 04:28 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Yep, that’s a line from today’s coverage of the Tour in Velo News. Gianni Moscon was tangled up in a crash. He got up, his bike didn’t. Why, back in my day, a frame might have bent, but break? Not likely. Now you kids get off my lawn!
Snapped or bent to heck? Not important to the rider.
When I scrambled up, after getting caught at the back of a mid-pack crash, jumped back on my bike, adrenalin roaring in my blood, the fact that the frame was made of steel was totally irrelevant, compared to the front wheel overlapping the downtube by a couple of inches...

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-13-19 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 04:33 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
I was watching it snapped into jagged tubes lucky he was not impaled. Glad my Pinnarello is steel.

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Old 07-13-19, 04:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Almost every bike malfunction at the TDF is on a carbon-frame bike. The fools just don't learn.
Old 07-13-19, 05:03 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Just like disc brakes, carbon isn't going anywhere
Old 07-13-19, 05:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
Just like disc brakes, carbon isn't going anywhere
No but some of the poor souls who have to ride them will be and it won't be the next race.
Old 07-13-19, 05:20 PM
Last ride 76 

Speaking as someone who owns and rides a number of "classic" steel bikes, including three I personally raced on in the mid-sevent... oh never mind, I don't even know what to say... Maybe this. Welcome, one and all, to the BF version of the FLAT EARTH SOCIETY.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 07-13-19, 05:42 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Yes!!,..... These guys were sooooo right too when they shunned those "new fangled" steel bikes!.....

84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 07-13-19, 05:43 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 127 Posts
It's a race bike which by definition means the only rules/regulations are win and don't get caught cheating.

It's not about the materials used to make it, it's all about being a machine made to race and WIN, as Innes Ireland said:

'I'd always believed that Colin [builder of Lotus race cars] was close to genius in his design ability and everything, if he could just get over this failing of his of making things too bloody light. I mean, Colin's idea of a Grand Prix car was it should win the race and, as it crossed the finishing line, it should collapse in a heap of bits. If it didn't do that, it was built too strongly."

-Innes Ireland
Likes For since6:
Old 07-13-19, 06:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
No pics?

This is a few years old but I will never buy a carbon wheel

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 07-13-19, 06:05 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Almost every bike malfunction at the TDF is on a carbon-frame bike. The fools just don't learn.
I think for the last several years, every last place finisher and DNF was on a carbon-frame bike too.
Likes For Kuromori:
Old 07-13-19, 09:51 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 984 Posts
Carbon hates side impacts and forces it wasn't designed for more than metal does.

Now, old steel racing frames were of course made from very thin-walled tubing, whether that be in the '70s and '80s, non-heat-treated and heat-treated examples. For those of you old enough (as I am not) who watched racing or did racing, when there were heavy crashes or ones with frame damage, where were the usual points of bending or failure? Perhaps a steel tube or tubes wouldn't snap, but would still fold up spectacularly. Serious question. Just would like an objective answer, if possible.

Yes, a snap failure is how carbon does it, and it's not a pretty sight, but neither is a metal failure. If anything, the snapping helps dissipate energy and momentum. We see this all the time in racing--Formula 1, WEC (think Le Mans), etc. A carbon tub/frame is built around a driver with various chassis and suspension and engine pieces bolted to it or around it. In a crash, everything explodes upon impact, but the carbon tub is generally fine (good!) and the failing other pieces take energy out of the car-flying-off-the-track scenario, to the benefit of the driver. We don't bat an eye at the lightweight construction and use of carbon in racing, yet see its immense benefits in crashes. I'm not saying metal of some sort wouldn't do a good job, it's just that carbon does quite well for itself in auto racing.

At any rate, the Tour this year has been exciting!
Old 07-13-19, 10:57 PM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Carbon hates side impacts and forces it wasn't designed for more than metal does.

Now, old steel racing frames were of course made from very thin-walled tubing, whether that be in the '70s and '80s, non-heat-treated and heat-treated examples. For those of you old enough (as I am not) who watched racing or did racing, when there were heavy crashes or ones with frame damage, where were the usual points of bending or failure? Perhaps a steel tube or tubes wouldn't snap, but would still fold up spectacularly. Serious question. Just would like an objective answer, if possible.
Obviously hitting objects on high speed descents could completely mangle bikes, even steel bikes.

Generally: First person down Bitd... Lots of road rash, but unless they hit something head on, often the bikes and even wheels seemed to survive. Bike to bike impacts led to dents, dings and pretzeled wheels.Those who came after the early casualties...bike has abrupt deceleration,, crashing into fallen bodies. This often creasiEd and/or bent top and/or down tubes in upside down "V" with or without fork problems. In my experience, less road rash, but rider sometimes became a projectile sailing at close to 30 mph, in my case landing, on something soft like a body, and scrambling to get back on my bike. Trajectories were often similar but landing hard on pavement, often boke wrists or collarbones, getting ttangled in other bikes often resulted in cuts, sprains and bruises etc. Worst case of course, head impact.

Damage behind head tube lugs probably the most common ride altering frame damage, along with bent forks...
Old 07-13-19, 11:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
I was asked if I could straighten this funny bike recently. I offered to give it a try.

When I couldn't get the rear brake bridge aligned - even though the dropouts were - I inspected the seat tube for alignment in relation to the bottom bracket. That's when I found this:

I don't see any carbon fiber.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-13-19, 11:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
If those wannabe racing fools would only learn steel is real, they could finish safely off the back of the pack, far from any risk of tangling with another bike.

Which, incidentally, is my usual group ride strategy. I'm not slow on my steel bikes. I'm careful. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-13-19, 11:59 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Counterpoint.

Races are often won by fractions of an inch. Only a fool would ride in a modern peloton without the latest and greatest super bike.

For mere mortals, the small benefit of a modern CF bike might be weighed against the toughness of a steel frame.

We all pays our money and takes our choice. That is our right.

But check this out. It started like so:

In 20 minutes it was straight.

@Wildwood has posted pix of it fully kitted and ridden.
Old 07-14-19, 04:05 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Bike problems aren't new.

Nor are new "wonder materials"

Around 1990, I had a friend with a fancy new aluminum frame bike, & a broken dropout. I don't remember the circumstances, but I think it was just from riding. However, such a failure could certainly knock a person out of a race.

Failed titanium?

And, of course, we periodically see examples of failed steel posted here.

A crash hard enough to crumple carbon fiber could easily have left a steel bike, or a bike of just about any other frame material either unrideable, or dangerous to ride.

An amateur racer might repair a frame like the one @gugie has, but if it was a pro racer, that likely would have been made into scrap metal, and the racer would have gotten a new frame.
Old 07-14-19, 06:45 AM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
At least we will never have to argue that "THE FORK IS BENT" on a carbon fiber thread!
Old 07-14-19, 06:54 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Counterpoint.
That hurts, Gugie!

-Kurt

Old 07-14-19, 08:19 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If those wannabe racing fools would only learn steel is real, they could finish safely off the back of the pack, far from any risk of tangling with another bike.

Which, incidentally, is my usual group ride strategy. I'm not slow on my steel bikes. I'm careful. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Great minds.....! lol Add this to your strategy: after the others tangle and all slow down to make sure everyone is okay you ride by asking the same then 'giddyup'!
Old 07-14-19, 08:36 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Ugh, thanks for reminding me of the one thing I hate about this subforum.
Likes For shoota:
Old 07-14-19, 08:50 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
It's a race bike which by definition means the only rules/regulations are win and don't get caught cheating.

It's not about the materials used to make it, it's all about being a machine made to race and WIN, as Innes Ireland said:

'I'd always believed that Colin [builder of Lotus race cars] was close to genius in his design ability and everything, if he could just get over this failing of his of making things too bloody light. I mean, Colin's idea of a Grand Prix car was it should win the race and, as it crossed the finishing line, it should collapse in a heap of bits. If it didn't do that, it was built too strongly."

-Innes Ireland
That reminds me of something the great speaker designer Bud Fried used to say when asked why his woofers failed so often. "A woofer you can't blow up is like a fender that can't be dented."
Old 07-14-19, 09:18 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Bike problems aren't new.

Nor are new "wonder materials"

Around 1990, I had a friend with a fancy new aluminum frame bike, & a broken dropout. I don't remember the circumstances, but I think it was just from riding. However, such a failure could certainly knock a person out of a race.

Failed titanium?

And, of course, we periodically see examples of failed steel posted here.

A crash hard enough to crumple carbon fiber could easily have left a steel bike, or a bike of just about any other frame material either unrideable, or dangerous to ride.

An amateur racer might repair a frame like the one @gugie has, but if it was a pro racer, that likely would have been made into scrap metal, and the racer would have gotten a new frame.
BITD domestiques would get a frame rebent. In the early 80's I worked in a bikeshop in Walnut Creek, California. One Bob Roll is originally from Pleasant Hill, an adjoining suburb. He came into our shop after a TdF with Team 7-11 (and 6 weeks living with gypsies under a freeway underpass, but that's another story) and had his team bike with him to sell on consignment. He told me it had been bent back to ship after a few crashes - paint was only touched up - and you could still see a few small creases in the tubing.

Budgets and salaries were smaller then.
Old 07-14-19, 09:39 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 643 Posts
here's the failure. From what I could see in the video - it literally popped "while riding along". IMHO - the quest for ever lighter frames and components inevitably will lead to (some) structural failures. Remember that racers get new bikes every season ! Maybe every race! but carbon fails catastrophically where even the cracked and bent frame posted by Cuda above was still rideable - would not have dumped it's rider on the pavement.

I'm reminded of the failure of Artemis Racing's America's cup yacht - it literally exploded. Boats and bikes have high concentrations of stress - unlike an aircraft stabilizer for example - and there are some limits in the finite element models that validate the designs.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.