Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

replacing bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

replacing bottom bracket

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 04:05 AM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
replacing bottom bracket

I have a 2005 Lemond Tourmalet and I want to replace the bb.In the catalogue the BB is listed as a TruVativ Giga-Pipe SL 68-118 Isis splined axle.I've checked on line and the BB is reviewed mostly as not durable and undependable.I see other ones that would fit that are listed as mountain bike BB's.Does it make a difference.Can one of you out there reccommend a BBI can depend on that fits?
Old 07-14-19, 04:39 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
The first thing is to verify what is actually on your bicycle. Did you buy the bike new?

If the bottom bracket has lasted for 15 years, then I wouldn't stress about durability. How much has the bike been ridden?

68mm is the bottom bracket shell width, and is a common "English" threaded bottom bracket width.

118mm sounds a bit wide. Are you using a "double" crankset (two chainrings), or a "triple" crankset (three chainrings)?

FSA should also make good bottom brackets, as well as several other brands (NOT SHIMANO).
Old 07-14-19, 05:41 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Do you in-fact know the BB bearings are no good? A 2005 with original equipment may well have been ridden once and hung up in the garage.
Old 07-14-19, 08:21 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The first thing is to verify what is actually on your bicycle. Did you buy the bike new?

If the bottom bracket has lasted for 15 years, then I wouldn't stress about durability. How much has the bike been ridden?

68mm is the bottom bracket shell width, and is a common "English" threaded bottom bracket width.

118mm sounds a bit wide. Are you using a "double" crankset (two chainrings), or a "triple" crankset (three chainrings)?

FSA should also make good bottom brackets, as well as several other brands (NOT SHIMANO).
The bike is a triple which would account for its width.I bought it on e-bay about a week ago and do not know its past but it looks near brand new.There is slight play when you jiggle the crank back and forth and creaks and clicks during riding though not bad.I have 3 other bikes and there is no play whatsoever when you try to move the crank toward the bike at all.
Old 07-14-19, 08:22 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Do you in-fact know the BB bearings are no good? A 2005 with original equipment may well have been ridden once and hung up in the garage.
A little play when jiggling crank and creaks and clicks when riding.
Old 07-14-19, 08:29 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
A lot of BB creaks and cracks can be resolved by taking the BB apart, cleaning and lightly greasing the shell and BB threads and reassembling to the proper specs. That does not fix worn bearings but those noises can and do come from from a BB with perfect bearings too. Total cost to try is some of your time. A crank arm should not move but this process will get you familiar with what is going on with that too.

Last edited by u235; 07-14-19 at 08:33 AM.