Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much would you guys offer for this bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 01:19 PM
aricc24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its a 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.7
Ill post the specs below
Offer on FB marketplace: guy claims he doesnt have pedals and "doesnt know if the tubes hold air"--so cant test ride it.
He wants $200, dont think its quite worth that, but dont want to low ball either.

Im looking for an entry level road bike to get started. Im pretty avid hybrid recreational cyclist. I ride 2-3 times a week for 15-30 mile rides, but want to push mileage a bit. figured a cheap roadie would be a good start.

specs:
Wheels and Tires
Hubs: See Rims/Wheels

Tires: Vera Helios, 700 x 25

Components
Brakeset: Dual-pivot

Shift Levers: Shimano

Pedals: Platform

Rear Cogs: Shimano, 7-speed: 12-28

Saddle: Oval R300

Handlebar: Oval 300S

Handlebar Stem: Oval 313

I know FUJIs arent the highest quality but would rather ride a cheaper road bike for a while instead of dropping serious $$$ on a synapse or something similar. figured if I really get into it, ill buy a quality new bike in the future.

Any ideas on what I should be willing to pay? I do love the design/color.

Bicycle bluebook puts the "fair" price at $100 but id imagine this is also low ball

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...81&model=74150
Old 07-18-19, 02:41 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
A 100 sounds fair enough, especially if you have to replace pedals and tubes (which will likely be close to 40-50 bucks if you have to have them installed).
Old 07-18-19, 06:12 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It looks as though the seller copied the component list from Bicycle Blue Book as it is identical to the list shown there: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...81&model=82063 It is a pretty bike but beauty doesn't get you far down the road. A more comprehensive list for components is here - https://archive.fujibikes.com/2013/Fuji/sportif-17-c It shows a 23 pound weight for one of the size frames and that's not bad. The gear range for a road bike is a bit limited with the 52/34 double crankset and 12/28 tooth cassette. That means only 14 speeds.

The Shimano 2300 drive train components are the very lowest on the Shimano Road Component hierarchy https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/w...nent-hierarchy It would have to be lightly used and in very good condition for me to consider buying it. Most entry level bikes in the MSRP price range for this bike would at least use Tiagara level components.
Old 07-18-19, 08:39 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
What's a fair price depends on your location.

Way better deals than that in big cities.

Also some crazy deals to be had if you double your budget - I scored a lightly-used pro-level bike for AU$600, about US$425. Night and day compared to what you're looking at.
Old 07-18-19, 08:46 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I wouldn’t pay $10 for that bike.

I have no use for a bike like that.
Old 07-18-19, 09:07 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I don’t know what you’re budget is but I would seriously keep looking. Especially if you cannot test ride, no way!
Old 07-19-19, 06:57 AM
aricc24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, these were my initial thoughts. I'm prioritizing aesthetics too much and needed to be talked down.
Its copied from BBB because thats where I copied it from, he didnt list any components in his ad
He now claims he is going to try and inflate the tires (didnt before??) and that he may have the pedals, sounding kind of sketchy.

Would $150 seem fair here? I understand the bike is not of high quality, looking for a cheap roadie to start with so this isnt my issue.
Old 07-19-19, 08:19 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by aricc24
Thanks guys, these were my initial thoughts. I'm prioritizing aesthetics too much and needed to be talked down.
Its copied from BBB because thats where I copied it from, he didnt list any components in his ad
He now claims he is going to try and inflate the tires (didnt before??) and that he may have the pedals, sounding kind of sketchy.

Would $150 seem fair here? I understand the bike is not of high quality, looking for a cheap roadie to start with so this isnt my issue.
oh no...$100 at the highest, maybe 75$. It needs tires and pedals that is going to be possibly depending on choices another $100.
Sounds like he has done NO maintenance on the bike from day one and will be a nightmare of parts replacement game.

The groupest is bottom of the barrel basic Shimano......

this sounds sketchy as all get out. Seriously beware of this bike!
Old 07-19-19, 08:39 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I might take it if someone gave me $200.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-19-19, 09:48 AM
aricc24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you guys think of this instead?

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...23&model=65372
Old 07-19-19, 12:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
^^^I wouldn't take it if someone offered me $200^^^
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-19-19, 05:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
The Fuji of the previous century went bankrupt in the 80's or 90'. Isn't this just a company that bought the name and now produces so so bikes? Maybe a tad better than Schwinn's today which are made by a company that also just bought the name of a formerly decent bike maker.

100 dollars and maybe it'd be worth upgrading. However if you can't do the work your self, that'd be expensive. If you ride in a hilly area, you'll soon be wanting more than seven on the rear.
Old 07-19-19, 08:43 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I would feel guilty if I were to give this bike free to a friend or relative.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-20-19, 04:17 AM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
You'll quickly outgrow either of those bikes. I would save a few bucks and buy something more current. Something with 10 or 11 speeds. If it's a hilly area you want a compact crank which is a 50/34. You'll do fine with an 11/28 cassette. I myself would prefer an 11/32 for more low gears. I went the route your looking to go. Spent alot of money on the wrong bike. Could a save what I've spent and had a much nicer ride. But I'm happy with what I have now.
Old 07-20-19, 07:42 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Fuji Sportif 1.7 owner here! It has been my main steed since I bought it new. Man, some off-the-cuff misconceptions flying around here. It's a a great bike, first of all. My go-to, and I have seven bikes. It's a comfortable, endurance-geometry road bike. Has held up exceptionally well for me, just wear items over time, obviously. Since the photo I've attached was taken, wear items, like I said, have been replaced, but I did put a Brooks Cambium saddle on, and I have 28c tires, which are nice.

-Don't know what sort of market conditions you have wherever you are, but 200 for a relatively modern road bike is a pretty decent deal where I'm from (Northeast, MA, specifically).

-Fuji makes great bikes. Yeah, their parent company went through some bankruptcy thing, but they seem to stand out as a good-value-for-the-money brand. They offer a full line of bikes from entry-level all the way up. I'm not the argumentative type on this forum, but it's always crazy to me when people are like "never heard of 'em" when Fujis get discussed. Wouldn't ride that if you paid me? C'mon, really?

-Through happenstance and obsessive perusing of local CL ads over the years, I have had several opportunities to upgrade my Sportif to 8,9,10 speed or whatever, but that Tourney 7 speed that never seems to get any love just works so damn good I never really feel like it's worth it. I mean I have NEVER had a problem with it. Ever. Been on 4 mile rides, and full centuries, and it has never, ever, ever let me down. Clicks up and down the gears like every single other STI shifter I have ever clicked up and down with.

-While I haven't really bothered because the bike just works so well, it will take upgrades like any other bike. Keep in mind it has a straight steerer tube, but even though the rear has a 7-speed cassette, the wheel itself is spaced to 130mm like most modern road bikes before we got into this whole disc thing. So whatever parts you have or come across from the past 15 years, go nuts.

-So, if it's not too late, I would certainly try my luck at making an offer at less than $200 if you think the buyer will bite. It wasn't an expensive bike when new, I will give the critics here that, at least. But a Fuji at its base is no better or worse than any other bike brand out there.

Fuji Sportif 1.7 by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr
Old 07-20-19, 08:39 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Yea don't listen to the spoiled goofballs here

$200 for a modernISH road bike that does not need a comprehensive overhaul is a steal IMO. Bring a set of tubes and a set of pedals to look at it. If it rides well enough and doesn't have any issues you're not capable of wrenching yourself, offer the $150. That's a perfectly reasonable discount on a used bike. That said, if he balked, I would happily buy it for the $200. You're unlikely to find a better VALUE bike (note, I did not say better bike). This for $200 is a perfect introduction to getting serious miles in on the road. If you decide you like it, spring for a set of nice, quick rolling road tires, and you could go on any pretty serious group road ride without the bike holding you back.

For reference...you are generally lucky to be able to purchase a semi-rusty 1970s-1980s vintage road bike with downtube shifters for $200-$300. If you're on a budget, go buy that Fuji, and don't look back or apologize.

Also - tubes are $5-7 each, and a nice set of clipless pedals can easily be had, new, for $25. Cheapie flat pedals even less. You have to assume you'll have to do some basic replacements on any used bike. If you don't have to regrease all the bearings, and the cables/housing aren't shot, you're well ahead of the game. I've bought and refurbished a handful of bikes off craigslist...don't listen to the naysayers here.

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 07-20-19 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-20-19, 08:47 AM
Weakbikr

I agree Fujis in my opinion are solid bikes. I almost bought a new sportiv before I bought the orbea I have now. Found it the week before I was going to get the Fuji. The one I was looking at was 2.3 or something like that. It had a sora 9sp. I'm just not a fan of the tourney drivetrain. Sure it can be upgraded but when buying used I just dont think it's worth it. I figure you can save a few bucks and buy a bike with something like 105 for not much more.
Old 07-20-19, 08:58 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Weakbikr
I agree Fujis in my opinion are solid bikes. I almost bought a new sportiv before I bought the orbea I have now. Found it the week before I was going to get the Fuji. The one I was looking at was 2.3 or something like that. It had a sora 9sp. I'm just not a fan of the tourney drivetrain. Sure it can be upgraded but when buying used I just dont think it's worth it. I figure you can save a few bucks and buy a bike with something like 105 for not much more.

That would easily double the price of the bike though. You're not finding 105 brifters on a used bike for $200 (or less in this case possibly..).
Old 07-20-19, 10:04 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

The OP's original bike question on post #1 is BTW 6 years old. Similar bike brand new was $500.....No way it is worth all this fuss. We have not even seen a picture of the bike. I am not putting down Fuji but this just doesn't sit right with me.

https://www.performancebike.com/fuji...20374?v=916401
Old 07-20-19, 10:40 AM
Weakbikr

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
That would easily double the price of the bike though. You're not finding 105 brifters on a used bike for $200 (or less in this case possibly..).
I agree it would. I can only speak from my personal experience. For myself I regretted since I was buying used not saving a few more bucks and buying a little nicer bike. I have 400 in the bike I'm riding now. It's much nicer than the bike I got last season to start out on. My point is I paid 275 for my first bike. I used it for a couple months. Spent some money showing it a little love at the bike shop getting new brakes cables tubes and a tune up. Ended up with more money in the bike than what it was worth. If I had waited a few weeks and saved a few more dollars I could have bought a little nicer bike. Honestly in the used bike world around here you can find a very nice bike for around 500.00. I'm not saying that the Fuji isn't a good bike or that tourney is bad stuff. I just think you can have a lot nicer bike for not much more.
Old 07-20-19, 10:43 AM
Weakbikr

OP I apologize if I have missed it. If your budget is around 200 then my point is........ pointless....lol. Just know that when buying used, go into it with the understanding that you will likely need to spend a little on it to get it running smoothly. Just keep it in mind when your ready to make an offer.
Old 07-20-19, 06:43 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

You're unlikely to find a better VALUE bike (note, I did not say better bike).
You don't think a lightly used TCR Advanced with Ksyrium ES and 7800 for $425 is better value?

Granted, that's a pretty mad deal, but if you live in a big city and have patience, you might find even better.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-20-19, 08:11 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

I must live in bike heaven...

For reference...you are generally lucky to be able to purchase a semi-rusty 1970s-1980s vintage road bike with downtube shifters for $200-$300.
I can get bikes like that from my co-op for like $40. AUD.
Old 07-20-19, 08:13 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by sdmc530
The OP's original bike question on post #1 is BTW 6 years old.
Oops
Old 07-20-19, 08:15 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Oops
Sorry I meant the bike is 6 years old, not the thread.....

my bad didn't proof read that one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.