Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Straight gauge spokes versus butted spokes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 12:20 PM
SJK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the general consensus regarding straight gauge spokes versus butted spokes in terms of strength? Is a wheel (say 32 spokes) built with straight gauge spokes stronger than one built with double butted spokes?
Old 03-22-06, 12:28 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SJK
What is the general consensus regarding straight gauge spokes versus butted spokes in terms of strength? Is a wheel (say 32 spokes) built with straight gauge spokes stronger than one built with double butted spokes?
I doubt it, given the same tension, but they would be heavier.
Old 03-22-06, 12:29 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Depends on the spoke guages. Thicker ends are generally stronger. Both butted and straight guage spokes come in a variety of guages.
Old 03-22-06, 12:33 PM
PhattTyre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some say butted, assuming the ends are the same guage. So given a 14 straight guage spoke and a 14/15/14 butted spoke, many will claim the butted spoke is stronger. The reasoning behind this is that the thinner butted part will give more and strech under load, which relieves some stress from the bend (the weak spot on a spoke). I think it's good logic, but I can't say I've had any personal experience in the matter. As a pretty light rider I tend not to break spokes, but I always use butted because they're a little more forgiving, in my opionion.
Old 03-22-06, 12:39 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 2,528 Times in 1,058 Posts
I am assuming that by "stronger," you mean a wheel that will go longer without spoke breakage. Taking that definition, the short answer is: No. All else being equal, butted spoked wheels will be stronger than straight gauge spoked wheels.

The somewhat longer answer is that spoke breakage is most likely to happen where the spoke bends to go through the hub. (I know I have never seen a spoke break anywhere else, and I have seen plenty of busted spokes.) Butted spokes take some of the force that would otherwise impact the bend and distributes it to the butts - especially the forces that try to lengthen and shorten the spoke. The result is that less of those forces go into deflecting the spoke at the bend, which in turn means a longer lasting spoke.

How all of this affects a new-fangled wheel in which the spokes have no bend going through or into the hub, I don't know. My guess - and it's only a guess - is that straight gauge vs. butted there would affect weight (minimally) and stiffness of the wheel (again, minimally) but not longevity without spoke breakage. But for a stadard wheel with standard bent spokes, butted outlasts straight gauge.
Old 03-22-06, 04:31 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Yeah the real question is which type of spokes make the strongest WHEEL. Nominaly straight gauge spokes are stronger if you put them on a test rig but in the real world they can be too strong and place extra load on the rim eyelets so the rim cracks. Using butted spokes will make the most durable wheel with the best all round charecteristics.

Regards, Anthony
Old 03-22-06, 04:48 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a heavy rider and have been on Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra/DB32 wheels for over a year now with no issues.
Old 03-22-06, 05:18 PM
wagathon
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The logic probably is the same as for butted frame tubes, i.e., they're not as strong where they're thinner, but, they don't need to be so strong where they're thinner. So, it doesn't matter (I'm using 32-hole Mavic Open Pros with Wheelsmith butted spokes and not expecting any problems--I've never broken a ss-spoke) .
Old 03-22-06, 07:03 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by webist
I'm a heavy rider and have been on Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra/DB32 wheels for over a year now with no issues.
What guage? DB spokes come in 14/15/14, 15/16/15, and other variations.
Old 03-22-06, 07:24 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Only out of curiosity, I recently weighed the spokes for a rebuild of a front CXP33.
The 32 straight DTs are 50g heavier than double-butted Wheelsmiths!

Big deal, I guess
Old 03-22-06, 07:36 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Only out of curiosity, I recently weighed the spokes for a rebuild of a front CXP33.
The 32 straight DTs are 50g heavier than double-butted Wheelsmiths!

Big deal, I guess
What guage spokes?
Old 03-22-06, 08:00 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
What guage spokes?
not sure about the Wheelsmiths, coz they've been sitting in my shed for few years, but the DTs are the 'plain' Champions -- aren't they 2mm?

anyway, without nipples:

32 x 292mm DT Champions = 241g
32x 294mm Wheelsmiths = 192g