Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best time of year to buy a USED bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-17-07, 10:44 AM
flameburns623

Bikes: K-mart All-Pro brand road bike; Target cruising bike; Wal-Mart NEXT brand bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!

I'm guessing that used bikes are especially plentiful around Christmastime--just before and after, as people 'upgrade' to better bikes and have older ones they want to get rid of. Am I correct? What is other people's experience?

Last edited by flameburns623; 09-17-07 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-17-07, 10:51 AM
ilmooz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think right about now is the best time. 2008 bikes are coming out so dealers are starting to cut 2007 prices to clear them off the floor. This usually applies through winter and into early spring, but now is when you'll have a better selection to choose from.
Old 09-17-07, 12:17 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best used prices seem to be in the Fall after the riding season.
Old 09-17-07, 12:53 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your post references a "used bike." I don't know of any reason there is a better time to buy a used bike. Probably selection is best when more new bikes are being purchased, so this would most likely be Spring/Early Summer.

But like i said, i am not aware of any evidence to support this.
Old 09-17-07, 05:00 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I buy my used bikes whenever I can, never really noticed a "best" time of year...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-17-07, 05:20 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I scored mine at a town-wide garage sale. Well, it wasn't my town, but the one next door. Most of the casual yard sales don't seem to have bikes, at least not around here. But really, it's all a matter of timing.
Old 09-17-07, 06:10 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask your local teams/clubs about swaps or other venues where they or other clubs might liquidate their used gear. In my area late Fall seems best because of all the competitive cyclists. That seems to be when the sposored folks sell off their extra/unused gear to raise cash for the winter. Also, fall is when many rec riders sell that fancy-shmancy ride they bought early summer on a whim and never really rode. Gotta fit the car in the garage for winter right!?!
Old 09-17-07, 07:40 PM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got a beautiful deal on a used Trek MountainTrack for my daughter two years ago at my LBS on a rainy day in early November. The place was empty, and they cut the price to move it. It just might have been the only sale of the day from the looks of things. We were in there for two hours mid day while thinking about taking it, and for them to tune it. Sterling all around, and still had nubs on the tire tread. $80.
Old 09-18-07, 06:37 PM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live near a major university and was floored by the number and quality of bikes selling cheap starting a couple weeks before Christmas. Students needing cash for the holidays, not wanting to cart their bikes home or around during the break, or even mid-term graduates not needing a bike anymore. Whatever the reason they were plenty out there and I plan on being prepared this year.

On the flip side, last month as the new school year was starting, used bikes were selling like hot cakes and at a premium. Definitely a sellers market!
Old 09-18-07, 08:49 PM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As far as yard/garage sales go, spring & summer is the best. You have a lot of people emptying their sheds and garages and spring cleaning. You just have to get out there and visit as many of these on a Saturday as possible. People stop having these sales when the weather turns colder.
Old 09-19-07, 05:01 AM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love the yard sale where there aren't any bikes being sold. I'll find a little twenty five cent bauble and as I'm paying I ask... "Oh, by the way do you have any bicycles that you'd consider selling?" It doesn't always net something, but when it does it goes big!

A few weeks ago I scored a primo Schwinn World Sport, this past week end a signed and dated 1998 S&M "Heavy As F**k" MTB, no not their BMX'er, an MTB. Never seen one? Me either and no info on the web either.

To tell what I paid would be punishable by law.
Old 10-03-07, 08:31 AM
professorkev

Bikes: Just sold my Raliegh Alyeska :o(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there anyone online (business) that sells bikes and ship? looking for raleigh,cannondale,trek.