Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Sweaty Butt and the Brooks B17

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-04-11, 08:28 AM
erikinop

Bikes: IRO Angus, Compact III, Motobecane, KHS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi -

I have been riding on a brooks b17 narrow for 6 years or so now. I mostly do commute and errand rides, so my trips are never too long. But I took my b17 through the swiss alps a few years ago, so I have also done some serious touring.

I broke the saddle in with the training and the touring in switzerland and--perhaps--went overboard with the proofhide. I'm not quite sure what the deal is, but here's my problem...

I have the sweatiest lower back on the face of the planet... which makes for a sweaty butt. I don't ride in lycra nor do I chamois or butt-butter it up. I have a rear fender. And I lightly proofhide the saddle every other month or so. Only done some very mild tensioning up to this point.

Everyone that uses my bike is astounded with the saddles comfort, but last weekend a friend came down and we rode hard for nearly 3 hours in manhattan. Really rode hard. Like, we should have been in lycra suits hard... but he was wearing jeans and i polyester pants(i always wear polyester pants).

On our last 5k he mentioned the saddle was no longer comfortable. I was shocked, astounded, relieved... finally I knew it wasn't just me and my sweaty butt. After hard riding and serious sweating without a bike shorts/padding or wickable garments, we both experienced a quick change from extreme comfort to pretty bad discomfort.

Once the saddles dry they are back to normal and comfortable as ever.

What could it be? Do others have this problem? Did I over do it with the proofhide in my break in process? Could frameset geometry be the culprit(one bike is a legitimate track bike)?

Okay!
Old 09-04-11, 12:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I largely saturated my 2 Brooks Pros, heating the saddle in the oven
Just to where the waxes in the Proofide melted. they sponged up the stuff..
re solidified when cooled off..
one was done 30 years ago, the other 20, both seem OK.. all these years later..

I'd say your plastic trousers unless a wicking treatment was done to the fabric
may be the culprit.

and the work level, and the fact that the weather is hot and humid..
slow down and cruise..
Old 09-04-11, 01:32 PM
itsthewoo

Bikes: Trek SU100, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of wet polyester and wet leather.
Old 09-04-11, 03:21 PM
Jyyanks

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. I think the pants may be the problem.
Old 09-04-11, 03:50 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by erikinop
Everyone that uses my bike is astounded with the saddles comfort, but last weekend a friend came down and we rode hard for nearly 3 hours in manhattan. Really rode hard. Like, we should have been in lycra suits hard... but he was wearing jeans and i polyester pants(i always wear polyester pants).

On our last 5k he mentioned the saddle was no longer comfortable. I was shocked, astounded, relieved... finally I knew it wasn't just me and my sweaty butt. After hard riding and serious sweating without a bike shorts/padding or wickable garments, we both experienced a quick change from extreme comfort to pretty bad discomfort.
You've answered your own question.

They don't make cycling specific clothing because they want to make a fashion statement or because it looks good ... cycling specific clothing is functional. The padding inside the shorts is designed to wick away sweat.

That said, even with cycling specific clothing a build-up of sweat can happen, and that's where baby wipes come into the situation. When you start to feel a bit uncomfortable, wipe yourself down with baby wipes.
Old 09-05-11, 08:47 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, it's the wickable thing. You don't have to spend a ton, but cotton and poly aren't great for long rides, so if you do wear them, bust out the baby powda.
Old 09-05-11, 11:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by erikinop
Hi -

I have been riding on a brooks b17 narrow for 6 years or so now. I mostly do commute and errand rides, so my trips are never too long. But I took my b17 through the swiss alps a few years ago, so I have also done some serious touring.

I broke the saddle in with the training and the touring in switzerland and--perhaps--went overboard with the proofhide. I'm not quite sure what the deal is, but here's my problem...

I have the sweatiest lower back on the face of the planet... which makes for a sweaty butt. I don't ride in lycra nor do I chamois or butt-butter it up. I have a rear fender. And I lightly proofhide the saddle every other month or so. Only done some very mild tensioning up to this point.

Once the saddles dry they are back to normal and comfortable as ever.

What could it be? Do others have this problem? Did I over do it with the proofhide in my break in process? Could frameset geometry be the culprit(one bike is a legitimate track bike)?

Okay!
Found the problem!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-06-11, 12:52 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 hours on the bike in regular pants = discomfort.. no way around that unless you've got an ass of steel.