Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Update on Upgrades (Photo Heavy)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Update on Upgrades (Photo Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 12:20 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
I dont use 2 bottles during the winter. Will put my second cage on shortly.

Are you implying that i photoshopped some of these upgrades?
No, that's not what I'm implying at all but you are known to have done it in the past.

There is literally no point in debadging anything on a supersix frame (e.g. the wheels). You almost need to have logos on your wheels to compete with the logos on the frame.

Looks good. Ride it as is and who cares about the brake cable, it's not affecting anything. The only people who will see it will be behind you, which is it's own reward.
Old 04-07-14, 12:21 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Because I have OCD and in my head wrapping the bars from out to in made the most sense, so what's the logic behind wrapping in to out.

(That sentence is a mess, hope it makes sense.)

Old 04-07-14, 12:22 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Done what in the past?
Old 04-07-14, 12:37 PM
jwill87ta

Bikes: 2014 FUJI Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-1 for missing a child safety outlet plug.

Nice ride though.
Old 04-07-14, 12:49 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nice ass bike
Old 04-07-14, 01:12 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Because I have OCD and in my head wrapping the bars from out to in made the most sense, so what's the logic behind wrapping in to out.

(That sentence is a mess, hope it makes sense.)
Nevermind, Park Tools website to the rescue.
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Handlebar Tape Installation (drop bar)

Start the roll at the bottom of the bar. Begin so the tape extends well past the bar end. This extra tape is then stuffed into the bar and the bar plug inserted after the wrapping is completed. The direction of the wrap may also effect how it retains it tightness on the bar. Generally, it is the habit of cyclist to pull back on their hands when riding on the top section of the bars. By noting this, you can wrap so this habit will be self-tightening on the tape. Looking from the rider's point of view (from the back of the bike) wrap each side the tape rotates inward from the top. In other words, wrap the right bar counter-clockwise and the left bar clockwise. Note the image below.

However...

When riding on the drop section of the bars, it is the tendency to rotate the hands outward. It is possible to reverse wrap direction from start to finish in order to match this tendency. Note the image below has the tape beginning opposite of the taping first described. Wrap each side so the tape rotates outward from the top. In other words, wrap the right bar clockwise and the left bar counter-clockwise.

If you wrap as the image above, you must then reverse the direction of the wrap at the brake levers. Do not cross the back of lever from outside to inside, as is commonly done. Stay on the inside of the lever and continue to the above the lever. See image below. Notice the optional piece of brake lever bar tape is in place. The tape will now be in a self-tightening direction on the top and the bottom of the bars.

Old 04-07-14, 06:01 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui
what saddle is that?
Specialized Romin Evo Pro
Old 04-07-14, 06:03 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Nicely done, You've really pulled out the stops on this one. Your bottle cage looks familiar, I got mine from eBay when I purchased my CAAD, couldn't beat the price on them in Jan. 2012. I don't mind the weave but the UD should look great with your build to date. I'd vote for no decals, just a personal preference, if the Fulcrum decals didn't have such a stubborn adhesive I'd remove them from my wheels. What's next? An Evo frame build or more for this beauty?

Now go and ride some before your credit card melts.

Bill

was hoping for an Evo as my next frameset. Everything was paid in full when I bought them (Except the wheels. I had to borrow money from our checking account for that)
Old 04-07-14, 07:03 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the build looks great! I would have no problem riding that bike.
Old 04-07-14, 07:19 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by cbresciani
I think the build looks great! I would have no problem riding that bike.
I wouldn't since its DA on there and not SR11.

All jokes aside, a well thought out build. I understand wanting to upgrade to an EVO but that SS is already a great bike to begin with. The upgrades alone already speak for themselves; nicely done Nick.
Old 04-07-14, 08:31 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice. How much $$ do you have in that, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 04-07-14, 09:02 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

I love the photos ... and appreciate your sharing them.

What kind of camera / lens do you have that allows you take pictures like the one above? I like how the hub is in focus with the foreground and background out of focus.
Old 04-07-14, 09:02 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that you 2ndGen? Nice looking bike but I think my stock Evo looks better

I won't hi-jack your thread though.
Old 04-07-14, 09:36 PM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks b10 for the top quality flame war you've produced in here lol, great reading.

Very, very nice setup by the way. I'd almost be too afraid to ride it for fear of wear and tear. Those Enve's are clinchers right?

Last edited by dralways; 04-07-14 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-08-14, 08:11 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc

What kind of camera / lens do you have that allows you take pictures like the one above? I like how the hub is in focus with the foreground and background out of focus.
Thank you. It is a simply canon T2i with an 18-135mm F3.5 lens with a canon speed/bounce flash 580ex ii. It has been a very versatile lens for me. The T2i is a little older and really nothing to brag home about, but it was a step up from the Nikon I had prior. I had a sigma 20mm extra wide angle for 6 months but only used it once so I sold it so I could afford more bike stuff. I would really like to get a 35mm 1.4 lens, but that will have to come later when other priorities have come and gone.
Old 04-08-14, 08:12 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Ok I guess.

I am amazed at the some of the comments. Maybe Im just one of few people who enjoy looking at bikes and appreciate the artistry, planning and work that goes into customizing a bike. I guees its good to know that instead of putting in the effort to taking photos, I'll just hold off so we can sit around answering more questions about which saddle to get or which bike to get as a newbie. Pardon me for thinking you would enjoy to see some photos of a bike that had more than some minor upgrades.

I guess bikes are ONLY to ride and not to be looked at in appreciation. Not saying that everyone will love my bike, but was thinking most would at least appreciate what I have done instead of focusing on a cable that isn't 100% perfect or this or that.

Amazing. Back to what saddle should I get
LoL I sympathize with this.. I often build my bikes more for function that beauty so I'm in a similar boat especially since I have out over in C&V usually
Old 04-08-14, 08:14 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc

Just about any camera will let you do this. It's all in the aperture settings.
Introduction to Aperture - Digital Photography School

Old 04-08-14, 08:37 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by copswithguns
Very nice. How much $$ do you have in that, if you don't mind my asking?
Edited:

Over the period of 2 years i have been able to put money towards upgrading pieces of my bike. None of it needed to be replaced, but i had an overall look and weight i was trying to achieve.

Lets just say, Enough to buy a newer better bike.

Last edited by bianchi10; 04-09-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-08-14, 08:43 AM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok I guess.

I am amazed at the some of the comments. Maybe Im just one of few people who enjoy looking at bikes and appreciate the artistry, planning and work that goes into customizing a bike. I guees its good to know that instead of putting in the effort to taking photos, I'll just hold off so we can sit around answering more questions about which saddle to get or which bike to get as a newbie. Pardon me for thinking you would enjoy to see some photos of a bike that had more than some minor upgrades.

I guess bikes are ONLY to ride and not to be looked at in appreciation. Not saying that everyone will love my bike, but was thinking most would at least appreciate what I have done instead of focusing on a cable that isn't 100% perfect or this or that.

Amazing. Back to what saddle should I get
I think most of the (unwanted) responses you are getting are because you never post about actually riding, and everything is about "upgrades," Hot r Not, and the new parts you just bought. Never about riding; kind of an "all fluff, no stuff" vibe, a la 2ndGen. Not trying to insult you man; just making an observation. You've got a nice bike there, but if you posted once in a while about something to do with riding instead of everything being about upgrades and the new components you might get a better response.
Old 04-08-14, 08:56 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have posted in the weekend ride reports, pictures of you on your bike and my century rides that I have done. I don't race, so I cant post about that. I'm not going to create my own thread about a 25 mile Saturday morning bike ride. If that is the perception that I give, then I would imagine the majority of everyone should be looked at in the same way, no? I can understand posting pictures and stories if I went on an amazing trip to Europe and did a riding tour, but I dont and wont ever do something like that. I'm not trying to sound defensive, I'm just trying to get a better understand on where you are coming from and how I can not give that perception in the future. My previous job did not allow me any time to ride and my current job is keeping me just as busy. I dont get a lot of personal time to ride with the work and family, but that doesn't mean I dont still enjoy upgrading parts to have a nice bike. Its not to say that my bike is nicer than anyone else's, it is simply for personal satisfaction. I enjoy looking at nice bikes, especially those who take the time to plan out their upgrades.

I can think of several people Rob13, primov8, gc3, coppercook62 and plenty more people who have posted their bike repeatedly with upgrades and I cant ever recall them being chastised.

Last edited by bianchi10; 04-08-14 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-08-14, 09:20 AM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have posted in the weekend ride reports and my century rides that I have done. I don't race, so I cant post about that. I'm not going to create my own thread about a 25 mile Saturday morning bike ride. If that is the perception that I give, then I would imagine the majority of everyone should be looked at in the same way, no? I can understand posting pictures and stories if I went on an amazing trip to Europe and did a riding tour, but I dont and wont ever do something like that. I'm not trying to sound defensive, I'm just trying to get a better understand on where you are coming from and how I can not give that perception in the future.
Ok. Just for kicks if you look at your post history the first 4 pages (didn't go any farther) are 95% Hot-r-Not, or about "upgrades," or tire color, or what parts you plan on buying. Which is fine; if you're into that stuff more power to you, but that's why I linked the infamous 2ndGen thread. He got destroyed because all of his posts were pictures of his bikes, so-called "upgrades," buying this stem, and this skewer, and this cable housing, and this chain, and this bar tape...etc... We all love our bikes, but at the end of the day it's about riding them. Again, not telling you what to post at all; just explaining why you are getting the raspberries. Oh, and...

I'm not going to create my own thread about a 25 mile Saturday morning bike ride.
Why the hell not? I'd rather read that a million times than to hear about why your caliper release is black instead of red. Seriously.
Old 04-08-14, 09:25 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...I'm not trying to sound defensive...
Fail. Usually if you are writing a disclaimer like that - there's a very good chance that's exactly how you are 'sounding'.

...being chastised.
Remember: Thicker skin. If you have to respond at all, just say 'Yeah, my mileage between upgrades is less than many others on here. I'm into the hobby of upgrading and getting the weight down.' Who cares if you take a little ribbing for that? At this point you are just feeding the flames.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 04-08-14, 09:35 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good call. Thanks
Old 04-08-14, 11:16 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Can I get the $1600 enve deal?

Old 04-08-14, 11:22 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe on ebay lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.