Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fillet Brazed GT Edge - A much nicer bike than I expected

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 08:18 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My original plans for this bike were to harvest the parts for other projects then either build up the frame as a beater or sell it. That was until I took a closer look today and realized it is not just some mass production mid level bike... I noticed the very nice fillets and thought it was odd, then when I removed the rear wheel and saw the Henry James dropouts I knew something was up. Did some searching and realized these things are actually kind of special. Handbuilt in the US by a top tier (but unconfirmed) builder.

Anyway, I am not sure what I am going to do with this thing, but I thought you all might like to see some pictures. Unfortunately, I do not have the original fork. I am trying to track it down, but I am not confident. Also the stem / seatpost / saddle are not the prettiest. I love the DA and Mavic stuff though.

A couple threads that mention these bikes if you want some further reading. Looks like there was thought that Yamaguchi built some of these but it seems he was a consultant for GT and the triple triangle design was his? History is a little confusing on these, would love to learn more.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...edge-help.html
'96 fillet brazed GT edge- drool-worthy $2kobo | Retrobike
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f3/96-fillet-brazed-gt-edge-drool-worthy-$2kobo-9055.html (same bike as the post above but more details / discussion)

Old 04-27-14, 08:37 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'm digging the parts! You're a lucky man to land those starfish cranks.

I just hate the GT graphics so much...and I can't stand the Hellenic stays. Now the important part - how's it ride?
Old 04-27-14, 08:48 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'm digging the parts! You're a lucky man to land those starfish cranks.

I just hate the GT graphics so much...and I can't stand the Hellenic stays. Now the important part - how's it ride?
Couldn't tell ya! It's at my parents' house leaned up against my MX Leader that I also don't ever ride. It's very light though. I might toss a normal stem and a Brooks on it and try it out.

It's hard for me to get excited about skinny tire road bikes these days as I don't really ever ride them anymore... I will probably be doing a massive inventory clearing soon. There is a Hampsten Crema I've got my eye on...

Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 04-27-14 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 09:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Looks nice.

Old 04-27-14, 09:05 PM
buldogge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yamaguchi didn't have anything to do with the GT frame building…Mark Nobilette built the fillet brazed team bikes (with True Temper tubing).

There was a production facility in CA (if I remember correctly) that built the fillet road bikes…should be Reynolds tubing if steel…not sure about these Excell frames…???

-Mark in St. Louis
Old 04-27-14, 09:26 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by buldogge
Yamaguchi didn't have anything to do with the GT frame building…Mark Nobilette built the fillet brazed team bikes (with True Temper tubing).

There was a production facility in CA (if I remember correctly) that built the fillet road bikes…should be Reynolds tubing if steel…not sure about these Excell frames…???

-Mark in St. Louis
Some interesting stuff in this thread about what seems like a very similar bike. Some heavy hitters chiming in, but nothing is really conclusive...

'96 fillet brazed GT edge- drool-worthy $2kobo
Old 04-28-14, 01:50 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Nice looking bike! Too bad the original GT fork isn't there.
Should you part it out, might be interested in the frameset as it's my size.
Old 04-28-14, 03:11 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
Nice looking bike! Too bad the original GT fork isn't there.
Should you part it out, might be interested in the frameset as it's my size.
Sending you a PM...
Old 04-28-14, 03:44 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
My co-worker has a similar vintage GT that is nicely fillet brazed, I told her not to let if go. It is white and built with 853 if I remember correctly. They are very nice frames and really when you see them in person you will like them even more. It has a carbon fork but I am pretty sure it is original. It's been well used but not abused.