Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rode my 1st recumbent trike today!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 10:05 PM
DBrown9383

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guy across the streets G/F has one and brought it over, not sure of the brand but it appears very well built and engineered, not cheap at all. It had an 8 speed internal gear hub with was pretty slick. I really enjoyed riding it until I came to my first high speed turn and unexpectedly got the thing up on two wheels. If my hip arthritis gets worse I might consider one but I'd have to have it fitted as the one I rode actually made my hip hurt MORE than my bike. It was a windy day and I'd just done a few laps on my bike when I tried the bent. Best thing about it? headwinds are not felt nearly as much. Maintaining speed into the wind is a breeze (excuse the pun).. I did not try to climb any big hills though and worry it might not be well suited for that.. Anyway it was really fun and if could no longer ride a bicycle, I would get a recumbent in a heartbeat. Don't knock it till you try it!
Old 05-11-16, 11:09 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
Guy across the streets G/F has one and brought it over, not sure of the brand but it appears very well built and engineered, not cheap at all. It had an 8 speed internal gear hub with was pretty slick. I really enjoyed riding it until I came to my first high speed turn and unexpectedly got the thing up on two wheels. If my hip arthritis gets worse I might consider one but I'd have to have it fitted as the one I rode actually made my hip hurt MORE than my bike. It was a windy day and I'd just done a few laps on my bike when I tried the bent. Best thing about it? headwinds are not felt nearly as much. Maintaining speed into the wind is a breeze (excuse the pun).. I did not try to climb any big hills though and worry it might not be well suited for that.. Anyway it was really fun and if could no longer ride a bicycle, I would get a recumbent in a heartbeat. Don't knock it till you try it!
When I got back into cycling and started looking at bikes I took a hard look at bents. The trikes are comfortable and the two wheel ones can be pretty fast. The problem was I wanted two, one for me and one for my wife and they didn't tend to fit on a bike rack or even in my Tahoe. Two trikes were out of the question. I got a semi-recumbent in a Giant Revive LX just to ride around and it was one of the most comfortable bikes I had ever been on. And it did fit on a bike rack or in the Truck.

Fast forward a few years and a few bikes and I had several road bikes and two MTBs and still had the Revive. Three of my friends that rode in our C group had bents, two Cat trikes and some low rider two wheeler. Long story short I loved the Cat trikes and someday I might have to have one. And while the two wheeler was fast on the flats and real fast downhill it was a pain on long climbing hills. You start shifting as soon as the hill starts, at least I did, and thankfully it had a bunch of gears because you cannot stand to get over that last steep part of the hill.

I can see the temptation and they can be a blast to ride. I have no clue how they do in the dirt as a gravel bike or MTB or even if they can be used that way.
Old 05-12-16, 05:10 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
'Bents are a lot of fun. To climb mountains, you have to shift down, be patient, and spin. That said, I have ridden my TiRush in the Rockies on 11,000+ foot passes.

The trikes are even more fun, but they are heavier, which you definitely notice when climbing.
Old 05-12-16, 07:50 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The spouse just acquired a high-end recumbent trike, and I tried it, very briefly. (It would have been easier if I could actually have reached the pedals). He also got the two wheel on a curve experience, and says you really have to lean into the corners to stay on the machine. Machine is orange with a big flappy orange flag, and he wears orange (or day-glo yellow) when he rides it. But you are still really low to the ground.

Me: I'll stick to two wheels at the regular bicycle height from the ground.
Old 05-12-16, 07:51 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Guy across the streets G/F has one and brought it over,

If my hip arthritis gets worse I might consider one but I'd have to have it fitted as the one I rode actually made my hip hurt MORE than my bike.
I'm betting that you're taller than she is. A shorter crank might fit you better too. I can just tolerate a 170 mm crank on my diamond frame beater but 165 mm is the sweet spot for me on my recumbents.
Old 05-12-16, 08:59 AM
DBrown9383

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to try a 2 wheel bent as well. This one was a trike but still tons of fun.
Old 05-12-16, 10:49 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
My wife rides an ICE Sprint 26 recumbent trike that I have ridden on many occasions on days when she doesn't ride. While certainly not as fast as my road bike, riding that thing is a complete blast. It's as much fun as riding a go-cart. I love the way they corner and the fact that if you suddenly stop, you aren't going to hit the ground because you couldn't unclip in time. One day, I plan on getting one for myself but that will be when I can no longer ride the road bike.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-12-16, 11:29 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I get my recumbent bicycles up on two wheels every time that I ride!

Getting a recumbent tricycle up on two wheels is not uncommon. It's entirely possible to flip a trike, too, but much less common.
Old 05-13-16, 06:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Best thing about it? headwinds are not felt nearly as much. Maintaining speed into the wind is a breeze
If I still lived on the Great Plains (a relatively flat place with relatively strong winds), I've imagined I'd own/ride the lowest recumbent trike I could find.
Old 05-13-16, 12:42 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

My experience is that headwinds are less burdensome on a 'bent, but still no fun.
Old 05-14-16, 06:16 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Electric motor assist on a recumbent for those long hill climbs?
Old 05-14-16, 09:34 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Tadpole" (two wheels in front) trikes are less likely to turn over when cornering.

Joe
Old 05-14-16, 04:05 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Not necessarily. All tadpole trikes are not equal when it comes to handling. The one ridden by the OP is a Terratrike Rover TerraTrike It is a high-seat entry level trike. The COG is higher than on most tadpole trikes. I could easily lift a front wheel going into a turn on my Greenspeed GTO trike with the seat at 45, degrees and the bottom of the seat 9" off the ground but find that same maneuver difficult on my Catrike 700 with the seat angle at 27 degrees and the same height off the ground for the seat bottom.
Old 05-15-16, 09:25 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I bought an ICE sprint about 2 years ago and am well on the way to 1,000 miles on it. Although I don't ride it on the street (wife's orders) and it won't replace my other bikes, it is a real blast for long leisurely (relative term) rides on the local trails. It's one of the few things that allow an old guy to impress pre-teen kids.
Old 05-15-16, 01:22 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
My experience is that headwinds are less burdensome on a 'bent, but still no fun.
I have the best of both worlds, I have both a recumbent bike and a trike. When the winds are high, I always take the trike.
Old 05-17-16, 06:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Electric motor assist on a recumbent for those long hill climbs?
I am the motor......
Old 05-17-16, 08:53 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
VegasTriker:

The overturn problem is always about the CG (center of gravity) moving outside the triangle defined by the contact patches of the wheels.

The higher the CG, the less turn (lateral) acceleration is required for the 'effective' CG to move outside the triangle and raise a wheel.
The difference between two-in-front (tadpole) three wheeler and one-in-the-front three wheeler concerns the fore/aft loading of the wheels under braking and/or when going downhill.

If you are turning sharply and/or braking while turning, the one-in-front configuration is much more likely to overturn; same thing for turning while going downhill.

Many folks, and I know a few, have no problems with one-in-front trikes. But, they tend to be those of us who use their one-in-front three wheelers for going to the market, Starbucks, etcetera.

I would never buy a one-in-front trike.

I was responsible for and managed (1969-70) the testing of the Honda three-wheeled "ATC90." --- Intitially named "US90."
I told them not to build it because it was unstable. 'They', however, did build it (and got rid of me) and subsequently killed 1400+ riders and put 9,000+ others in wheelchairs or perpetual bed.

I'd love to have a "tadpole" e-Three wheeler for when I get older (I am 74).
It would be a low one (CG).

Joe

Last edited by Joe Minton; 05-17-16 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 11:05 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Marley
'Bents are a lot of fun. To climb mountains, you have to shift down, be patient, and spin. That said, I have ridden my TiRush in the Rockies on 11,000+ foot passes.

The trikes are even more fun, but they are heavier, which you definitely notice when climbing.
Explain Patient? The one I tried was just very slow and spinning was easier but not any faster. But then I am not used to riding a bent.
Old 05-18-16, 06:32 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I just got back from the Smokey Mountain Recumbent Rally in Tennessee. There were 95 registered cyclists, and of that number, I think 90 of them were on trikes. Trikes are generally heavier than 2-wheelers, and have the extra wheel's worth of rolling resistance; so they tend to be slower climbing hills than most 2-wheeled recumbents, and much slower than a good roadie. The main advantage, to my way of thinking, is that they can go extremely slow without falling over. Of the 90 or so trikes at the rally, maybe 2 or three were capable of even remotely matching my normal speeds.

It's pretty common for new bent riders (or test riders) to pedal slowly in a too-tall gear, which can make the hips and knees hurt.