Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Knee support sleeve

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Knee support sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 06:26 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Knee support sleeve

Due to a recent knee issue, my doctor recommended wearing a "patellar knee sleeve", which is one of those sleeves usually made from neoprene that goes over the knee with a cutout for the kneecap, which it is intended to stabilize. I bought a common model from a local pharmacy and, while it is fine for walking and OK for running, in a spinning class this morning I found it uncomfortable due to bunching up behind my knee.

Has anyone had experience with a device like this that is particularly suitable for cycling? The knee issue is basically kneecap tracking/stability, so something offering that type of support is what I'm going for.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 12-09-14, 12:16 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've used a knee brace in the past but lately my knees are doing well after following an exercise routine. Amazon.com: Mueller Adustable Hinged Knee Brace, One Size Fits Most, 1-Count Box: Health & Personal Care The brace in the link looks as if it may work for you as it has a n open area behind the knee.
Old 12-09-14, 12:41 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
I use one that has an open back. It's hinged, has velcro straps and I bought it at CVS. No biking problems at all. You might try cutting the back out of yours before you spend any extra money. Mine's like 44 bucks and lasts about 3-4 months of continuous wear.
Best regards, Eric
Old 12-09-14, 01:08 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
I use one that has an open back. It's hinged, has velcro straps and I bought it at CVS. No biking problems at all. You might try cutting the back out of yours before you spend any extra money. Mine's like 44 bucks and lasts about 3-4 months of continuous wear.
Best regards, Eric
Thanks. I think I saw that one at my CVS before I went the cheapo route. I'll have to go back and take another look. There are not too many brands out there in the OTC market. I did find one online that looked perfect, but cost $180! Obviously it was the type of "Medical Supply Company" equipment that a doctor would prescribe so that it's paid for by insurance.
Old 12-09-14, 01:26 PM
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a devise from a company named Cho-Pat. Has been a big help. Can be purchased on Amazon. What a surprise?
Old 12-09-14, 04:33 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
Thanks. I think I saw that one at my CVS before I went the cheapo route. I'll have to go back and take another look. There are not too many brands out there in the OTC market. I did find one online that looked perfect, but cost $180! Obviously it was the type of "Medical Supply Company" equipment that a doctor would prescribe so that it's paid for by insurance.
Now is not the time to go el-cheapo!

How well you follow your doctors advise will determine your well being. Ask your doc for a scrip order then let your insurance ,if you have any, buy you a good and proper brace.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 12-10-14, 07:28 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Talk to a sports physiologist or physical therapist who is familiar with cycling about teaching you proper application of kinesiology tape for your condition. You will get far better stabilization than you will with any type of sleeve and it will move with you. When applied correctly, the stuff is amazing.
Old 12-11-14, 06:49 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by GravelMN
Talk to a sports physiologist or physical therapist who is familiar with cycling about teaching you proper application of kinesiology tape for your condition. You will get far better stabilization than you will with any type of sleeve and it will move with you. When applied correctly, the stuff is amazing.
Good idea. Thanks!
Old 12-11-14, 02:41 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
You beat me to it! That was going to be my suggestion, as well.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-11-14, 04:35 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Lots of helpful videos on YouTube regarding KT tape and the knee, here's one......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCobdSLwjs0