Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Montrose Saddle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 08:38 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts

I think this is a stock saddle on some Trek bikes, can anyone give a review on it? It seems to have the profile I'm looking for, the cutout I prefer, and come in a pretty narrow option at 128mm. However I'm also very tired of the saddle game and spending money on failed saddles.
Old 09-14-18, 09:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by str8jakett
I think this is a stock saddle on some Trek bikes, can anyone give a review on it? It seems to have the profile I'm looking for, the cutout I prefer, and come in a pretty narrow option at 128mm. However I'm also very tired of the saddle game and spending money on failed saddles.
One came on my Domane. I rode it a couple times while waiting for a new saddle to arrive. It seemed like a decent saddle if it fits; it didn't strike me as being too heavily padded (like some inexpensive saddles) or poorly shaped. If I didn't need a wide saddle, I probably would have kept it around until I had a weight weenie moment and wanted to drop some grams.

As much as I disliked the idea of Bontrager products in the past, my perception of Trek was pretty 'meh,' I have to say Bontrager stuff is, by in large, not bad and some of it is downright good.
Old 09-14-18, 05:53 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have one on my Trek 1200, it is white and was on sale. It seems to work okay for me. I think I paid like 30.00 for it.
Old 09-14-18, 06:38 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Montrose Elite and Montrose Pro saddles. Even with the thinner padding on the Pro, it rides a touch more comfortable to me. I think the slightly better comfort comes from the carbon rails and their connection mechanism on the underside of the saddle. Its a nicely executed saddle and it looks excellent. The Elite is has slightly more padding, but doesn't connect with my underside quite as well as the Pro. I think the extra foam tends to slight change the shape. Not much mind you, but its there. I can ride both, but prefer the Pro, but even it's not a perfect saddle. Like Specialized, Trek is good with their 30-day trial period. I would recommend getting one from their website, or a dealer, since you have 30 days to ride and try it. I prefer the Power saddle over the Montrose, but both are really good saddles. The nice thing about Specialized, is that they credit your account as soon as they recieve it back. None of this; "it takes a couple weeks to process" horse crap.
Old 09-14-18, 06:39 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride a Montrose elite, it’s my fave saddle. Like
it better then the paradigm. Dunno why people knock brontrager stuff, there carbon wheels are some of the best, lights saddle bags, saddles etc never have been let down by a bontrager product
Old 09-15-18, 06:03 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
The general consensus seems pretty good then. I was also looking at the Toupe/Romin used on eBay in 130mm size as I've got a 143 Toupe on one bike that I've been trying to trade off for a 130. Always had good luck with Specialized saddles but they just never were completely comfortable, but I think I've been trying too wide of a saddle.