Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lace Up Shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lace Up Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 09:08 PM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lace Up Shoes

Time has come for some new shoes. Are the Lace Up giro empires any good? Giro claims that it’s comfortable but are they good for out of saddle sprinting and climbing? I would expect them to loosen over time unless your knot is impeccable.

Can anyone with the S-works shoes actually narrow and have too aggressive of a heel cup?

What shoes are you wearing?
Old 10-02-18, 10:11 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I have two pairs of Giro Empire SLX and a pair of Empires. Never ever had one set loosen up.
I use them with my track bike and they've been very secure.
Old 10-02-18, 10:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Laces work. They worked for 100 years. If triathlons and the need to put shoes on on seconds never happened, laces would still be on most shoes. I've been using strapped shoes since ~1995. 2012 I rode Cycle Oregon on a fix gear. Pulling that hard against those straps led to a series of foot issues: swelling and infections and the sensation of cracked bones on the top of my foot. I had to adjust the straps mid-ride just to mitigate symptoms. After a few years of this, I took my favorite shoes, cut the straps off and installed grommets and laces. Oh yeah! The joys of good fitting shoes were back!

The shoes with laces I've noticed have been $300 shoes. $15 will get you the grommets, the tool and the laces. My feet are in heaven in $100 shoes. (Lakes have lasts that my feet love. I've known that since I tried on my first pair.)

Ben
Old 10-02-18, 10:54 PM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoes don't fit the same when you put them on at the beginning of the ride vs. towards the middle when your feet start swelling. Due to lack of on-the-fly adjustability I guess you'd have to lace them up pretty precisely with that compensation in mind to have them work throughout the whole ride?

What I'm saying is, if I lace them up tight at the beginning, they'll be too tight towards the end, no? I suppose it would have to become second nature to know how tightly to lace the shoes up from the beginning?

Is there some type of friction technology in the lace holes that prevent the laces from slipping?

Are the empires a good fit for wide feet?
Old 10-03-18, 05:49 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I just got Giro Knits a couple of months ago. Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn on a bike. The laces never have loosened, and the shoe seems to expand with my foot during the ride as I never have to re-adjust. I don't tie them any differently than I would a walking shoe.

I had to learn how to tie the laces just so. The first time I rode with them I heard this "tap tap tap" as I pedaled. It was the end of the lace (the plastic tip) on my left show hitting the chainstay every time the shoe went around. Adjust how much of the lace end is out and all is fine.
Old 10-03-18, 06:14 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Empires are not good for wide feet.
Old 10-03-18, 06:51 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Reeses
Shoes don't fit the same when you put them on at the beginning of the ride vs. towards the middle when your feet start swelling. Due to lack of on-the-fly adjustability I guess you'd have to lace them up pretty precisely with that compensation in mind to have them work throughout the whole ride?

What I'm saying is, if I lace them up tight at the beginning, they'll be too tight towards the end, no? I suppose it would have to become second nature to know how tightly to lace the shoes up from the beginning?

Is there some type of friction technology in the lace holes that prevent the laces from slipping?
I have Giro Republics with laces. Never an issue with loosening. I'm not a sprinter, so I'm not looking for the super tight fit. But I can tell you that you can "set it and forget it" - I rode The DAMn with my Republics, 240 miles and 21 hours, never needed to adjust my shoes.

(photo credit TMB Images)
Old 10-03-18, 07:06 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Laces and leather provide the ultimate comfort and fit, old school style. Add a hard carbon sole and its as good or better than the new ratcheting systems. Also no longer a problem with catching laces on pedal clips
Old 10-03-18, 07:10 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I wear the empire ACC shoes and I will never buy any ratcheting nonsense again. The laces never budge. The pressure is distributed evenly across the top of my feet and they are the most comfortable cycling shoes I’ve ever owned. I have narrow feet btw.
Old 10-03-18, 07:26 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Give me a set of boa laces any day over everything. I got a pair of Louis Garneau Course Air over last winter new on ebay for a steal. These are super light and two boa latches, this is the best cycling purchase I have made outside my TI road bike they are great. No laces for me.
Old 10-03-18, 07:49 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Time has come for some new shoes. Are the Lace Up giro empires any good? Giro claims that it’s comfortable but are they good for out of saddle sprinting and climbing? I would expect them to loosen over time unless your knot is impeccable.

Can anyone with the S-works shoes actually narrow and have too aggressive of a heel cup?

What shoes are you wearing?
I have the S-Works 6. They do fit pretty snugly around the heel cup and I have to loosen up the boas all the way to put them on and remove them, they are, however still pretty comfy. The newer S-works 7 is a little more relaxed.
Old 10-03-18, 09:18 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Sir Bradley Wiggins

I have the Giro Republix, their SPD version. They're 100% fine.
Old 10-03-18, 10:05 AM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To narrow for my feet, I really wanted to like them though.

Old 10-03-18, 10:39 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
SLX in use for a couple of years & various other lace shoes for decades.

Never needed to adjust the laces during a ride. I like Giro shoes.

Had some S works for a while, but the toe area was cramped (since fixed I think). The boas worked OK,

but I find laces actually easier & less fussy. Also more aero.
Old 10-03-18, 10:49 AM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Give me a set of boa laces any day over everything. I got a pair of Louis Garneau Course Air over last winter new on ebay for a steal. These are super light and two boa latches, this is the best cycling purchase I have made outside my TI road bike they are great. No laces for me.
Another vote for BOA, If I can retrofit boa to my daily foot wear I would. I did manage to score a pair of sneakers by Lake with boa closures.

I started with lace shoes, then moved on to Velcro straps ( remember LOOK used to make shoes), followed by strap ratchet buckles now I am on to BOA.
if you haven't give BOA a try.
Old 10-03-18, 11:00 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have a paranoia that laces will get untied during ride and end up in my crank.
Old 10-03-18, 11:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

Are the empires a good fit for wide feet?
Have you ridden shoes with laces or are you saying this from your experience with straps? I find that laces are both more comfortable and more forgiving re: tightness than straps. If I lace them up to feel right when I leave, I rarely think about them again.

Example: the 1977 Maine International race. 2nd longest, fastest and hardest race I ever rode. Was supposed to start at 10am. I was ready with my favorite shoes laced up tight knowing the race would be decided at the 90 mile point on a tough climb. (It was.) Well, the race official missed his flight so we had to wait two hours while he drove to the start. Race went on as I described with that hill being tougher than I could have imagined. But everything at the equipment level was working perfectly for me. I made split (in a deeper level of pain than I have ever known, before or since). Finished in the money and under the previous course record (set by a little known racer, John Howard). Hours later, in the team van headed back to Boston, I realized I still had my shoes on and that I hadn't even loosened the laces! Felt good to take them off, but my feet fared just fine. That was 8 hours in shoes laced for a brutal hill climb and sprint, with no ill effect whatsoever.

The place where laced shoes really rule is on the road riding fixed gears, Straps suck because you cannot adjust them while you are riding. (Feet moving.) After 3 hours with straps, I find I may be well into one of the symptoms I mentioned in my previous post. That same ride with laces? When I stop, I may want to adjust the laces but is never to prevent injuries, just an improvement in comfort.

Laces also offer a level of "customization" to your foot. My right foot is bony and adjusting middle and top straps to not sit directly on bone and leaving me with the cracked bone sensation after hard fix gear climbs while still keeping the shoe tight enough to avoid blisters and toe compression is near impossible. But with laces, I simply don't use the holes that would put a crossing over those bones. Looks odd, but my foot loves it.

Ben
Old 10-03-18, 12:13 PM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ll have to find a shop that keeps the Giros in stock

My fear with using laces was that play would develop down the road as the bottom of my feet seat into the insoles, giving room on the upper of the shoe, which is what happens usually with my ratchet strap shoes
Old 10-03-18, 12:16 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Laces are good. The list of things I don't like about them is zero things long. Currently using the Louis Garneau LA84 shoes, got on sale for like $50 a while back.
Old 10-03-18, 02:18 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Laces win races.
Old 10-03-18, 02:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by SSRI
Another vote for BOA, If I can retrofit boa to my daily foot wear I would. I did manage to score a pair of sneakers by Lake with boa closures.
New Balance has some current models with Boa closures.
Old 10-03-18, 02:29 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I have Giro Republics with laces. Never an issue with loosening. I'm not a sprinter, so I'm not looking for the super tight fit. But I can tell you that you can "set it and forget it" - I rode The DAMn with my Republics, 240 miles and 21 hours, never needed to adjust my shoes.

(photo credit TMB Images)
+1. No problems with laces coming loose on my Specialized Recons during 200+ miles at Dirty Kanza this year.

Actually on long rides I find my feet tend to swell, kind of the opposite issue of laces coming loose.
Old 10-03-18, 02:45 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Laces win races.
It rhymes, so you know it's true!
Old 10-03-18, 02:56 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Laces win races.
Came here for this comment, leaving the thread satisfied. Kudos.
Old 10-03-18, 08:20 PM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got to try the S-works and they are snug and non-compliant. Not sure how the foot would fare on a ride

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.