Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Aeolus comp 5 TLR

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 03:08 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does anyone have the Bontrager Aelous comp 5 TLR wheel set? I have been looking at these but cant find much for reviews on them. I can pick up a pair for $600 out of a local bike shop. Anything similar you would recommend?
Old 07-25-18, 07:33 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Those wheels came on my 2018 Madone 9. To be honest, I was not impressed with them and sold them for $250 after three rides. They are heavy, flexy, with very slow engagement.
Old 07-25-18, 08:02 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The aura comp is the cheaper version of the aura 5 wheels(which are a bit more money but much more wheel for the extra dough) I have the bontrager aura 5 for training and they are a tad heavy but bomb poof stiff and reliable, I would recommend them all day long if you wann spend a bit more.
Old 07-26-18, 01:24 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Those wheels came on my 2018 Madone 9. To be honest, I was not impressed with them and sold them for $250 after three rides. They are heavy, flexy, with very slow engagement.
Are you sure about heavy? Theyre listed at 1600ish grams on treks website. For a $1200 50mm carbon wheelset that's not no name Chinese, that's pretty light.

The rest makes a lot of sense though, because it's ridiculously cheap for what it delivers on paper. I've been looking at wheels in that category as well but I guess I'll steer clear. SpinOnThese and Walker Brothers both seem like pretty decent alternatives. They're about the same on paper but I think theyre made with better hubs and are stiffer.

EDIT: At $600 you're probably not going to find anything as aero as those wheels, OP.
Old 07-26-18, 02:59 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smashndash
Are you sure about heavy? Theyre listed at 1600ish grams on treks website. For a $1200 50mm carbon wheelset that's not no name Chinese, that's pretty light.

The rest makes a lot of sense though, because it's ridiculously cheap for what it delivers on paper. I've been looking at wheels in that category as well but I guess I'll steer clear. SpinOnThese and Walker Brothers both seem like pretty decent alternatives. They're about the same on paper but I think theyre made with better hubs and are stiffer.

EDIT: At $600 you're probably not going to find anything as aero as those wheels, OP.
You're looking at the Aeolus 5 Pro. The Comp is the aluminum wheel with a carbon fairing, found here.

I own a pair of the Comp. For what you're paying, they're not awful wheels. I'm 80 kilos, and can put out a decent sprint effort, and I've had no rubbing issues, and they've handled winds quite well. I've only had mine for since January, so only about 2k miles on them so far, but they've done everything I've asked of them. They are quite heavy though, over 1800 grams for the pair. If you live in a flat area, not a bad buy. If you ride a lot of hills, maybe save a bit more and look at the Aeolus Pros; I ride with a number of guys who own either the Pro 3 or Pro 5, and they're all quite happy so far as well
Old 07-26-18, 03:10 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Wittyname
You're looking at the Aeolus 5 Pro. The Comp is the aluminum wheel with a carbon fairing, found here.

I own a pair of the Comp. For what you're paying, they're not awful wheels. I'm 80 kilos, and can put out a decent sprint effort, and I've had no rubbing issues, and they've handled winds quite well. I've only had mine for since January, so only about 2k miles on them so far, but they've done everything I've asked of them. They are quite heavy though, over 1800 grams for the pair. If you live in a flat area, not a bad buy. If you ride a lot of hills, maybe save a bit more and look at the Aeolus Pros; I ride with a number of guys who own either the Pro 3 or Pro 5, and they're all quite happy so far as well
Ah that makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for the clarification. I guess the $600 makes a lot more sense now.
Old 07-26-18, 03:18 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For what it's worth, I don't regret buying mine. The price was right, and they do the job for me.
Old 07-26-18, 08:08 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I have the Aeolus Comp 5 TLR. As others have said, they're a bit heavy but bombproof - which I suppose is to be expected from an aluminum wheel with a carbon fairing.

I've been very happy with this wheelset as a upgrade from the stock wheels (Shimano RS 11). They're a great everyday wheel, do not require special brake pads, and I don't worry about them in long rides out on the boonies.
Old 07-27-18, 06:44 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Evidently someone had put a down payment on these and a set of new onyx hubs to be installed and then never came and picked them up. The shop owner ended up coming down to $500. So i picked them up.... The onyx free hub is whisper quiet which personally I love. Also I am 225 lbs / 102 kilos and bontragers wheels have no weight restrictions.
Old 05-13-21, 09:51 AM
gb901

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
Evidently someone had put a down payment on these and a set of new onyx hubs to be installed and then never came and picked them up. The shop owner ended up coming down to $500. So i picked them up.... The onyx free hub is whisper quiet which personally I love. Also I am 225 lbs / 102 kilos and bontragers wheels have no weight restrictions.
I would say you picked up a bargain? Personally, I have the 2015 Shimano DA C50 which are slightly lighter I believe?