Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Helmet time

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Helmet time

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 07:16 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Helmet time

It's new helmet time for me. My options for trying them on are limited. I'm looking at the Poc Octal AVIP MIPS, Giro Synthe and Kask Protone or Valegro. I'm looking for light weight and good ventilation as I live in Florida. Smith is also an option. Any advice or thoughts?

Old 09-24-18, 07:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
MIPS is a good thing. The POC looks to be well-ventilated as well, but I have no personal experience with it.
Old 09-24-18, 08:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Things I will not buy without trying them on: cycling helmets, and cycling shoes.

When I cracked my Smith, I went to the LBS and tried on every single helmet they had in my size. Bought the one that fit the best.

On my odd noggin, the fit of all of the POC helmets is... undesirable. Kask was the winner. The new Oakleys are nice. Came out too late, as I had already bought the Kask.
Old 09-24-18, 08:06 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have a Giro Synthe MIPS. I crashed at 16mph 3 weeks after getting it. Cracked the helmet and Giro gave me 50% off on a replacement,

People's heads are different shapes, so get one that fits.

Last edited by GlennR; 09-24-18 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 08:20 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Love my synthe, might be a bit “outdated” but I’ve had it for 3 years and when the times comes I’ll probbly look for another to replace it. Wicked comfortable aero and ventilated.
Old 09-24-18, 09:45 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
POC fits a bit small, well ventilated, heavier (15 gms) than advertised. Kask Protone is really well ventilated and light, size is true to measurement 1-2 grams heavier than advertised . Giro Synthe fits a little big weight is 1-2 gms as advertized. Specialized Evade, true to size. 1-2 gms as advertised, exceptional ventilation over the others that I own above and the lightest. That's my noggin, I don't know how it will fit yours.
Old 09-24-18, 10:37 PM
Cpinn3r

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I recently picked up the Bontranger Velocis w/ MIPS, coming from a Met Manta. I got for a good deal and looks similar to a Giro Synthe. Also the Velocis has a few things they did, that I like. Such as adding rubber padding, where you would normally put your sunglasses through. The paint from the shell, covering the brim part. The sizing was pretty true to size.

The only thing I would have an issue is the straps. I find that there just to much, but that not a big deal.
Old 09-24-18, 11:27 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,000 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
It's new helmet time for me. My options for trying them on are limited. I'm looking at the Poc Octal AVIP MIPS, Giro Synthe and Kask Protone or Valegro. I'm looking for light weight and good ventilation as I live in Florida. Smith is also an option. Any advice or thoughts?
I've had 6 different Giro helmets since the early 90s, but I decided to switch and bought the Oakley ARO5 this year. The ARO5 is very light with big vents, and is the most comfortable and secure helmet I've ever worn. It also keeps my head at least as cool as the best of the Giro helmets I've owned. I haven't worn a POC or a Kask, so I can't compare those for you but I would buy another Oakley again without thinking twice about it.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 09-25-18, 01:12 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Here is my Bell Z20 MIPS Helmet .

This is is a great helmet w/ excellent cooling.
Old 09-25-18, 05:40 AM
Peter2290

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-MOD

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely try them on. I have a (big) oval head and while the POC Tectal MTB helmet fits me great, the Octal didn't at all. Even tightened down there was a ton of side-to-side play so it was too round. Giro's don't really fit me either.

Ended up with Kask Protone which while expensive, fits like a dream and is super comfortable.
Old 09-25-18, 05:48 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter2290
Definitely try them on. I have a (big) oval head and while the POC Tectal MTB helmet fits me great, the Octal didn't at all. Even tightened down there was a ton of side-to-side play so it was too round. Giro's don't really fit me either.

Ended up with Kask Protone which while expensive, fits like a dream and is super comfortable.
Long Oval head shape here as well. But have the Giro Savant which many say is better for round head. Savant is a great value helmet, light and with great venting for hot Florida riding.
I am not a MIPS fan FWIW. Didn't want it.

In Florida OP, venting is a big consideration so be sure to read reviews because of aero versus venting tradeoff.
Old 09-25-18, 05:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Asking which helmet is best for comfort is like asking online what flavor of ice cream tastes best. You must try them and see for yourself.

Oh, the answer is probably chocolate.
Old 09-25-18, 06:25 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Oh, the answer is probably chocolate.
Boring
Old 09-25-18, 07:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Boring
Better than vanilla.
Old 09-25-18, 09:06 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Better than vanilla.
Cherry Garcia. Chocolate AND vanilla are for small minded people with poor problem solving skills. Spumoni works too.
Old 09-25-18, 09:20 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
The wife bough an Oakley helmet this year and she loves it. Fits her noggin well, has good ventilation, and most of all holds her sunnies on her face perfectly. Just as you'd expect from Oakley.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 09-25-18 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 11:06 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopefish905
Love my synthe, might be a bit “outdated” but I’ve had it for 3 years and when the times comes I’ll probbly look for another to replace it. Wicked comfortable aero and ventilated.
^^^^^Me too!
Old 09-25-18, 12:30 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
Big fan of the POC Octal MIPs. I've ridden mine in both the winter and very humid/hot in the summer. It's a problem in the winter since I swear the helmet is actually cooler than no helmet at all (same is true for summer but it's not a problem but a benefit). So I'd give it high marks for both ventilation and protection. The new POC Ventral Spin also looks good. "Spin" is POC's proprietary technology similar to MIPS.

FWIW, I'd not buy a helmet without MIPS or some other equivalent technology. It's a game changer in helmet design, IMO. And at this point, its available at pretty much all price points. Bell/Giro made a big investment in MIPS financially and other helmet manufacturers are developing their own rotational protection technology now. POC was the first to adopt MIPS and is now moving to their own technology. So you have to look for what they call their version of MIPS.

J.
Old 09-25-18, 02:25 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
It's hard to avoid Giro/Bell -- they hog all the shelf space and suck all the oxygen out of the room. I made an effort to do that, however, and got a Kali about two months ago. I had intended for it to be the helmet that I use for casual, less serious riding, but it quickly became my favorite helmet, and my Giro, which I had formerly used only for my most challenging rides, got knocked down to casual use.
Agree.

I wish I could find the article, but it described the three basic head shapes that helmet suppliers design to. The head shapes looking from top down were (if memory serves): round, oval and "roval" for round-oval. So figure out what head shape works best for you and stick with it. They're all getting better on accommodating ore of the three shapes, but they still have to kind of stick with one shape to a degree in order to keep the helmet frame close to the head.

That said, I find that of the various Bell/Giro Helmets I've had, none of them had as comfortable padding as some of the other brands I've found. To date, for me, POC bike helmets are the best fit and most comfortable.

J.
Old 09-25-18, 02:38 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopefish905
This. Switched from a Giro Atmos to a Synthe a few months ago, I love it. I think it'll age well too, it's a great design looks-wise, it's well ventilated, it fits me well, it's allegedly more aero than the uber-dorky Air Attack... win/win.
Old 09-25-18, 02:49 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
This. Switched from a Giro Atmos to a Synthe a few months ago, I love it. I think it'll age well too, it's a great design looks-wise, it's well ventilated, it fits me well, it's allegedly more aero than the uber-dorky Air Attack... win/win.
Synthe gets pretty rave reviews. Can you tell us what your head shape is?...roundish or more long oval?
Old 09-25-18, 03:10 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Synthe gets pretty rave reviews. Can you tell us what your head shape is?...roundish or more long oval?
Honestly, I couldn't tell you. If it helps, I switched to the Atmos/Synthe from a Bell Volt which also seemed to fit just fine. I guess you could say my head is "regular shaped" because I haven't noticed any particularly awkward fits from any of the various helmets I've borrowed/tried on/owned, unless they're just too small.
Old 09-25-18, 04:19 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Snell just did another test on the MIPS: https://helmets.org/mips.htm

Punchline:
- MIPS does nothing for direct impact
- MIPS may help in a glancing impact; but head movement in the helmet is more significant
- Thinner padding/foam - to accommodate MIPS - may detract from protection
- How the helmet reacts with the surface (road) is more important than MIPS, padding, etc. - smoother is better... like a skateboard helmet
Old 09-25-18, 04:23 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter2290

Giros have never fit me well either. I tried the Synthe on today and it is out. I'm on the road this week and will look for a shop that has the Poc, Oakley and or Kask.
Old 09-25-18, 04:28 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm still not sold on MIPS. The helmets cost significantly more, and no one has been able to show that they actually do any better at protecting the head.

Both of my most recent helmet purchases have been non-MIPS versions bought shortly after the release of MIPS versions, which means I saved over $100 each time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.