Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Travel Update: Eating, Exercising and Having Fun

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 07:43 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So far so good!

Wednesday evening travels: The idea of packing my dinner and snacks for the flight worked out perfectly. The intention was not to eat all of the heathy snacks but to have options so if I wanted/needed something, it would not be airport food or flight food. I brought on a small bag cooler that fit in my backpack and it worked wonders and packed a lot of snacks. Dinner was good and the flight was peaceful.

Thursday: Busy day. Taught two culinary classes but had a good breakfast and packed more snacks along the way. Lunch was a bust and not planned out but just had snacks that I packed. Thursday night we went to a dumping restaurant which was wonderful. Eight chefs sitting around, bull $hitting. This was nice! Hit the gym over at hotel and that gym sucked. Treadmill was falling apart and the elliptical... my head hit the ceiling. Yikes. But I got a nice workout in regardless.

Friday: Another busy day. Taught two classes and tried over 70 dishes but spit pretty much everything out. No wonder I gained so much weight while at the culinary school. Some of the students cook great! Lunch was with a past student which was sushi and so delightful. West coast sushi is far more sophisticated in flavor, texture and taste then the sushi we have in NJ and Philly. Still trying to find a good place out there. Dinner that night my best cheffy friend I have known since culinary school and worked with for 4 years, he and I went out to a really nice place that one of my past students runs. We didnt even open the menu, she made us a 4 course meal and after the fourth course we had to ask her to stop. We were full. I am sure the cals eaten where thrown out with the food tracker lol! I did stop by Planet Fitness early in the morning and the guy was nice enough to wave the daily pass fee. I really like that gym. Not as nice as 24 Hour Fitness but pretty darn good to be frank.

Saturday: Had coffee with an old line cook friend. Got oatmeal before making the two hour drive south and had yogurt in the car as well as other snacks. Got into Longview at 10 am and went to the gym. This gym was awesome and the cardio overlooked the river and made the time go by fast. Really nice gym, especially for this small town. I tried hitting the gym at the hotel before leaving but the treadmill was now broken and out of service. Just my luck. I could have slept in a bit. Eating Saturday went well.

This brings us to Sunday. So far, I got up at 4 am to walk 2.5 miles around the lake that sits in the middle of the town here. No one was out and was peaceful.

I am going with my mom and friends to the WW meeting this morning which I am looking forward to. Will not weight in until Wed though.

So far, so good. It does take a lot of preplanning and preparation to eat healthy when traveling. We will see how this next week goes!

The trip to the West Coast has been wonderful. It's really what I needed. To see all my friends in Seattle, to see the students at Le Cordon Bleu Seattle, to see some old line cooks and dear friends I used to work with and to see my family and friends in Longview. The drive from Seattle to Longview was so peaceful yesterday morning. I hit a new gym in town which overlooked the river which was priceless. This morning, I walked at 4 AM around the lake in Longview which was peaceful too. I honestly think I need a trip like this once a year. It really sets my mind at ease!
Old 02-10-13, 08:13 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I wondered where you had disappeared to!
Old 02-10-13, 08:33 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
I wondered where you had disappeared to!
Still kickin! Trying to get workouts in and eating OP. Will be cool to hit some new meetings.
Old 02-10-13, 11:53 AM
islandseas

Bikes: Trek 7.3 WSD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi chef...you're on my side of the continent now. I'm not sure how the weather has been done in Washington State but up here on Vancouver Island we've been getting some sunshine finally and we get a long weekend to boot. It sounds like you are having a good time. I really enjoy going to different WW meetings when I've been away. You get lots of new ideas and perspectives. Enjoy the rest of your time away.

Karen
Old 02-10-13, 03:25 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Enjoy!
Sounds like you're making it work for you
Old 02-10-13, 05:58 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbeasley
Enjoy!
Sounds like you're making it work for you
We will see how the WI goes on Wed. That will tell the story. lol
Old 02-10-13, 06:00 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by islandseas
Hi chef...you're on my side of the continent now. I'm not sure how the weather has been done in Washington State but up here on Vancouver Island we've been getting some sunshine finally and we get a long weekend to boot. It sounds like you are having a good time. I really enjoy going to different WW meetings when I've been away. You get lots of new ideas and perspectives. Enjoy the rest of your time away.

Karen
Its so nice to be back to the West Coast. Love it. It will suck going back to NJ ;( next week.

I went clothes shopping early this morning and got new work out clothes and a new pair of pants. I used to wear size 56 and now down to 46 he he he
Old 02-10-13, 06:20 PM
islandseas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the new sizes. I did the same yesterday when I popped into our MEC store to look at riding pants and ended up getting a new waterproof jacket on clearance and a new riding shirt for summer. It was hard to stop shopping because the prices were so good but I know I'll be smaller come summer.

Did you get the blizzard where you live in NJ?
Old 02-10-13, 07:44 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
"I used to wear size 56 and now down to 46" I think this is one of the most satisfying aspects of weight loss.... Conrgrats!
Old 02-10-13, 10:33 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbeasley
"I used to wear size 56 and now down to 46" I think this is one of the most satisfying aspects of weight loss.... Conrgrats!
Agreed. I used to have to fold my work pants and jeans in a "special" way in front bc they were too big on me. Feels good!

I have been hitting the gym hard on this trip and have watched what I ate so we will see how WI goes.
Old 02-11-13, 10:15 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sunday travels: Got a walk in the morning and went to WW meeting with my mom and her friend. When we got home, it was time to hit the gym, grab a smoothie from the gym smoothie bar and then take a much needed nap. We went over to my grandmas house for pancakes and eggs for lunch. I remember eating so many pancakes soaked with her homemade syrup. This was a red light food for me and had to take it very light. All went well.

Then for dinner, my dad and I met up and I got to meet my dads new girlfriend. He wanted to go to Applebees, not the friendliest spot for healthy eating but a little pre research helped out. A small steak with shrimp on it, veg, and red potatoes. Not too bad. Then grandma and I had a date at a new local yogurt shop which was delicious.

Monday so far: Hit the gym at 4 am and then had to shower, eat, pack and head out for Oregon. I just arrived in Salem. I have tons of snacks and staying in a room with a kitchen which is nice. We will see how today goes.
Old 02-13-13, 12:36 AM
SeanBlader

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
I'd have looked into signing up for a cooking class put on by one of our own. Although Seattle is a bit far of a drive for that, but I have a little family up in the area, I probably could've made it work.
Old 02-13-13, 09:20 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update:

Monday was pretty good. Got a workout in the morning, easy day at work. We went out for an Asian lunch. I should have eaten a little less but I did track it all. I made dinner at the hotel Monday might too and then got another workout in. Monday went well.

Tuesday: Full day in the kitchen. Worked out in the morning, had a healthy breakfast in the morning and went to work. The kitchen is a size of three football fields which is crazy, especially when you need a freezer run. They brought in Voodoo Donuts from Portland. But a little early for me for those. I had healthy snacks with me anyway. After work, I was very tired. Legs hurt like he11 too. But we all went into Portland for dinner at Screen Door. I had mostly vegetables dishes which were excellent and had a few fried oysters which I do love on occasion. After that, we went to Salt and Stray which is an ice cream place in Portland and ranked high for the last few years in the ice cream cuisine! It was delicious. We capped the night off with salted caramels they make in house. Darn good.

Which brings me to Wed: I am at work, waiting for the other chefs to arrive. Skipped the workout.... legs too tired and I wanted to sleep for another hour. Breakfast was half @ssed. I should have cooked it in the hotel room but did not feel like it. Tonight is the weigh in so we will see how it rolls.
Old 02-13-13, 10:24 AM
islandseas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you are still on plan and if you had to walk that kitchen very often that would be a workout in itself. Are you going to a local meeting while you are out here?

Caramels are one of my favourite treats but I've never tried salted caramel.

Karen
Old 02-13-13, 12:46 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds like you are still on plan and if you had to walk that kitchen very often that would be a workout in itself. Are you going to a local meeting while you are out here?

Caramels are one of my favourite treats but I've never tried salted caramel.

Karen
Karen: If you want the BEST caramel, let me know. I have a source that produces d@mn good caramels.

Yup, my plan is to go to a meeting tonight then drop by the store and get some food to cook. Last nights dinner plus ice cream was a lot.
Old 02-13-13, 08:39 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had my weigh in tonight and was up 4.6 pounds. Worked out all week, often times twice a day and it is a gain. GRRRRR.
Old 02-13-13, 08:53 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I went to a program were we had to weigh in Monday through Friday. Two of the many things I learned were that spending days at altitude and flying made me hold water. I would suggest drinking a boatload of water until your system lets go of it.
Old 02-13-13, 09:18 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
I went to a program were we had to weigh in Monday through Friday. Two of the many things I learned were that spending days at altitude and flying made me hold water. I would suggest drinking a boatload of water until your system lets go of it.
Interesting.

I see you are in Eugene. I am in Salem but leaving tomorrow. Perhaps next time we could meet up for a walk or ride or something like that.
Old 02-13-13, 10:42 PM
islandseas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet you find it's almost all water weight gain. A lady at my meetings swears by asparagus...it's apparently a diuretic. Even though it was a gain it's good you weighed in while you are away. Better to know where you stand. Are you home for your next weigh in ?

Karen
Old 02-13-13, 10:49 PM
howsteepisit

right now I am living car free, but its would be a hoot, lets talk when next time rolls around. There is always the train up that way.

Oh in addition to asparagus, spinach and grapefruit help dump excess water.
Old 02-14-13, 09:10 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bet you find it's almost all water weight gain. A lady at my meetings swears by asparagus...it's apparently a diuretic. Even though it was a gain it's good you weighed in while you are away. Better to know where you stand. Are you home for your next weigh in ?

Karen
Yupper, will be home tomorrow night which will be good. The trip has been great, especially the front half of the trip. Got to see friends and family and teach at the school I used to teach at which I miss a lot.

Though I know it is good that I weighed in, some WW members gave me some advice last night.... dont weigh in on business trips and wait a couple of days once you return and your body/stress level returns to normal. Makes since. I think the biggest thing for me is to just get to a meeting if I am gone more then a week. Helps me stay on track.

Also had a big dinner....and late dinner, the night before.
Old 02-14-13, 08:17 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think it is good to weigh in at times when the odds are you will be higher. You have to be able to psychologically handle the blips without them becoming demoralizing. I often have the urge not to weigh when I am traveling or after big eating day but I try to do it anyway. It helps me stay the course.
Old 02-14-13, 09:26 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I think it is good to weigh in at times when the odds are you will be higher. You have to be able to psychologically handle the blips without them becoming demoralizing. I often have the urge not to weigh when I am traveling or after big eating day but I try to do it anyway. It helps me stay the course.
I hear this from people who weigh themselves everyday. They say it forces you to deal with increases and realize it is just a number. You weigh everyday?
Old 02-14-13, 09:55 PM
howsteepisit

+1 to Goldfinch. I also have been learning to force myself to faithfully log in whatever I eat, no matter how off plan it is. Its very difficult to be honest with myself on food and weight issues, but I think I am better for doing it. So how come I feel guilty if I overshoot my calories for the day?
Old 02-14-13, 10:15 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
+1 to Goldfinch. I also have been learning to force myself to faithfully log in whatever I eat, no matter how off plan it is. Its very difficult to be honest with myself on food and weight issues, but I think I am better for doing it. So how come I feel guilty if I overshoot my calories for the day?
I have logged everything and continue to do it. I have nothing to hide with my eating habits and patterns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.