Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 03:38 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Bought a new '18 Crosstrail Sport yesterday. I have two questions:

1. Are the OEM rims tubless compatible?

2. What's the concenseus on Tire Pressure? Mine came from the LBS with 45 lbs. I'm used to Road Bikes at 80lbs or MTB Bikes at 35 lbs. Does 45 seem like a decent starting place?

I lied - 3rd question - do they all come with a kick stand? Mine did. I immediately removed that .6 lbs or needless extra weight.

A few years ago I got into Road and MTB cycling and had some sweet carbon bikes. But a near miss on the road stopped my road riding and the Colorado Trail scared the MTB out of me. At 68 years old and after 3 years bikeless this new Crosstrail is my retirement RV bike for campground, state park and national park use. Feels good to be back on a bike, even in a limited way.

Last edited by creativepart; 03-04-18 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 07:57 PM
daveg22152

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by creativepart
Bought a new '18 Crosstrail Sport yesterday. I have two questions:

1. Are the OEM rims tubless compatible?

2. What's the concenseus on Tire Pressure? Mine came from the LBS with 45 lbs. I'm used to Road Bikes at 80lbs or MTB Bikes at 35 lbs. Does 45 seem like a decent starting place?

I lied - 3rd question - do they all come with a kick stand? Mine did. I immediately removed that .6 lbs or needless extra weight.

A few years ago I got into Road and MTB cycling and had some sweet carbon bikes. But a near miss on the road stopped my road riding and the Colorado Trail scared the MTB out of me. At 68 years old and after 3 years bikeless this new Crosstrail is my retirement RV bike for campground, state park and national park use. Feels good to be back on a bike, even in a limited way.
Congratulations on the new ride. The best bike is the one you’ll use the most.

No, the OEM rims aren’t tubeless compatible, and I don’t think that will be much of a problem on the surfaces you’d expect to ride with the Crosstrail

In general, go with whatever pressure the tires are rated at. I tend to the high end of the range

Kick stand? Depends on the use. I eshew them as well, but it’s a personal decision. Sounds like you’ve made up your mind already.

Cheers
Old 03-04-18, 08:03 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I started at 90 psi and after a while I dropped it to 70 psi both front and rear. The Trigger tires have an almost smooth center area that I wanted to be using the most on asphalt for speed. I added a kickstand to mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-KS.../dp/B078982LC4

My Crosstrail had a mounting hole for it.
Old 03-04-18, 08:35 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
The Trigger Sports 38mm wide on our Crosstrails are rated from 75 to 100 psi. I believe I've read many others posting that they with lower psi. Not sure I would recommend that on this size of tire to avoid pinch flats.

I have read that the larger Trigger Sport at 42mm can go down to 50-100psi.

The kickstand is useful if you plan on having a rack and bags on the bike. But yes, added weight for the convenience.
Old 03-05-18, 06:13 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
https://road.cc/content/feature/18083...mfort-and-grip
Old 03-05-18, 07:28 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Recommended inflation pressure can vary quite a bit depending on rider weight, tire type, size, desired "tire squish" (deflection), riding conditions, etc. Using a method similar to that linked above, I shoot for a 20% deflection in my tires (rather than the 15% noted in the article). I sit on the bike in riding condition and adjust inflation pressure while a second person measures relative deflection with a digital micrometer that is capable of measuring depth. I do this just for a general baseline and then go from there.

Bike A: Kenda Kwick Tendril 37-622/700x35 tires. These are mostly slick commuting tires with a relatively narrow profile. The actual sidewall height is 32mm unloaded. 20% deflection means I'm looking for about 26mm actual sidewall height front and rear with me on it.

Bike B: Continental Speed Ride 42-622/700x42 tires. These are plump CX tires with a very round profile. The actual sidewall height is 38mm unloaded, and I'm targeting about 30mm actual height with me on it.

It turns out that both bikes take the same air pressure to get my desired 20% relative deflection: 60 psi in the rear and 30 psi in the front. Going through the trouble of measuring seems like overkill, but it removes all conjecture and uncertainty. I still may raise or lower my air pressure just a bit from baseline depending on the specific conditions for that ride, but 60 rear/30 front is my baseline. (It doesn't take that much more air to keep them at the 15% deflection as noted in the article.)

It also shows me, in real numbers, my actual weight distribution on the bike. Many roadies will lower their front inflation pressure "by a few pounds" to compensate for the reduced weight, but my front tires, with the way that I sit on the bike, need only half the pressure that the rear tires do.

Oh...and I'm 240 pounds. Both bikes are 28-30 pounds, so the loaded rig is at least 270 pounds. And I'm riding 60 rear/30 front on "35mm" tires. My guess is the "38mm" Triggers on the Crosstrails could very safely be run in this pressure range, especially if you weigh any less than 250 pounds.
Old 03-05-18, 07:57 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
The Trigger Sports 38mm wide on our Crosstrails are rated from 75 to 100 psi. I believe I've read many others posting that they with lower psi. Not sure I would recommend that on this size of tire to avoid pinch flats.
When I replaced mine after they wore out, I got the Trigger Pro series in the same 38mm size, but they are rated down to about 45psi.

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Oh...and I'm 240 pounds. Both bikes are 28-30 pounds, so the loaded rig is at least 270 pounds. And I'm riding 60 rear/30 front on "35mm" tires. My guess is the "38mm" Triggers on the Crosstrails could very safely be run in this pressure range, especially if you weigh any less than 250 pounds.
Wow! That is really low pressure on the front, especially since it's the front tire that takes the brunt of hitting a pothole or curb or whatever and getting a pinch flat.

As far as kickstands, I've always put them on every bike where it's possible. I hate looking for a place to lean my bike against when I stop, and don't like laying it down on its side either (probably goes back to my motorcycling days!). Besides, on my casual riding on the Crosstrail I'm probably carrying at least 2-3 lbs of stuff that I probably don't need, so what's the added weight of a sidestand?

Even on my carbon-framed lightweight road bike that doesn't have a stand, I looked into getting one that was recently designed specifically for that type of bike: very lightweight and unique. Unfortunately I had to send it back since it wasn't compatible with my thru-axles, but maybe they'll come up with something eventually.
Old 03-05-18, 10:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by DougG
Wow! That is really low pressure on the front, especially since it's the front tire that takes the brunt of hitting a pothole or curb or whatever and getting a pinch flat.
I'm pretty careful when I ride (I haven't had a flat in years), but it's true that carelessness and a certain type of hazard could cause an issue. I average about 10-12 mph on my rides, if that gives an indication of how fast I'm going, and roads here are generally very good. If I'm off the road, I may increase the pressure a bit to compensate. Again, it's just a general baseline, and it will vary depending on tire type, conditions, etc.

(I once had a set of Bontrager tires that were so stiff, I swear they'd support the bike without any air in the tubes at all.)
Old 03-05-18, 10:43 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
...roads here are generally very good.
You obviously don't live in Michigan!
Old 03-05-18, 12:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by DougG
You obviously don't live in Michigan!
My mom's family is from Michigan (Grand Rapids and Grand Haven). If I lived in Michigan, then I'd probably be running 26" wheels or 650s!
Old 03-05-18, 12:45 PM
travbikeman

Have the roads in MI gotten bad? I remember them being pretty good back in the 80's and early 90's. (I used to live in Troy).
Old 03-05-18, 03:19 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks for the advice folks. I think I start at 65 lbs in the tires and test out the ride between 65 and 75 psi. I thought 45 seemed kind of low.

And... I'm going to put the kickstand back on. I like the idea of a light weight rear rack and you guys are right, a kickstand will come in handy with a rack installed.

Gotta wrap my head around the hybrid nature of this new bike.
Old 03-07-18, 07:03 PM
Algebrat

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at buying a crosstrail in the very near future, but I'm having issues figuring out with the cost difference between the hydraulic disk and the elite alloy can be justified for a weekend rider. Currently I have no bike and I plan on pulling my 2 year old along for the ride most of the time. I'll be mostly riding on paved paths but definitely on gravel and dirt paths at times.
Old 03-07-18, 08:03 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Algebrat
I'm looking at buying a crosstrail in the very near future, but I'm having issues figuring out with the cost difference between the hydraulic disk and the elite alloy can be justified for a weekend rider. Currently I have no bike and I plan on pulling my 2 year old along for the ride most of the time. I'll be mostly riding on paved paths but definitely on gravel and dirt paths at times.
Really going to depend on how much your going to use the bike. If your only going to do the weekend thing with your child, then save the money and just get the lesser expensive bike. It's a nice bike.

If you plan on doing much more than that eventually, you will be happier with the upgraded components of the elite, which will have smoother shifting, better gearing and a few other nice upgrades.
Old 03-07-18, 08:27 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
The gearing is important for me and the better gearing starts with the Sport model. Two chain rings is all you really need. Maybe look for a used Crosstrail or another similar brand.
Old 03-08-18, 09:07 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Algebrat
I sprung for the hydraulic brakes last year. Was worth every penny. They works great and require almost no pressure at the levers. I can control the brakes with 1 finger easily and effortlessly. That's really nice when I have my hands out holding the bar ends. Can can reach my index finger over and brake with just the top of my finger.

I was into short rides with the kids and a short commute to work too. Once I got my 'not bottom end' Crosstrail I was taking a lot more rides for longer distances.

The basic Crosstrail is a fine bike. The slightly upgraded models are really nice. The high end Crosstrails are probably overkill.
Old 03-09-18, 11:42 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I sprung for the hydraulic brakes last year. Was worth every penny. They works great and require almost no pressure at the levers. I can control the brakes with 1 finger easily and effortlessly. That's really nice when I have my hands out holding the bar ends. Can can reach my index finger over and brake with just the top of my finger.
Having had both types, I've found hydraulics to be well worth the upgrade. Less braking effort and a lot more modulation possible. I know for sure that I won't ever go back to mechanical disc brakes (or rim brakes for that matter!).
Old 03-10-18, 12:03 PM
Algebrat

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With your suggestions i ordered the crosstrail sport today at my LBS, just have to wait a few days...
Old 03-16-18, 12:29 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Is it possible to go from mechanical brakes to hydraulics? Is it a big undertaking?
Old 03-16-18, 01:06 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by munkeyfish
Is it possible to go from mechanical brakes to hydraulics? Is it a big undertaking?
If you currently have mechanical disc brakes, yes it's very easy to replace. If you have the non disc brakes, not so easy.

EDIT: Just noticed your information under your name with the disc. Yes, it's very easy to replace the current mechanical with hydraulics. Do you have a set in mind?

You may want to make sure you purchase the rear brake with the proper hose length so you don't have to cut and bleed the fluid. Pre cut lines that are already bled make this an easy replacement.
Old 03-18-18, 02:25 PM
Suza

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crossroads Sport, 2018 Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Skipjacks;19932754]

Anyway here's some shots of the Crosstrail along the way...
QUOTE]

I'm considering upgrading my Crossroads Sport to a Crosstrail. My CR does well on and off payment, but I want disc brakes.

I really like the looks of your bike. What is the paint color and is that the stock seat or an upgrade?
Old 03-18-18, 03:41 PM
Suza

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crossroads Sport, 2018 Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am struggling to upgrade my Crossroads Sport bike to something similar, butw ith disc brakes, and not having a lot of success. I like the performanceof the Crossroads; it does what I need it to on pavement and trail riding. My only serious complaint is that the rim brakes do not function well when the pads get wet or dirty from riding off-road.

I prefer to stick with Specialized since I have been happy with mine and it is what my favorite LBS sells. I've looked at AWOL, Sirrus, Diverge, Sequoia, and Crossroads/Ariel. I have since eliminated all with drophandlebars (AWOL, Diverge and Sequoia) for several reasons: I like the comfort of a more upright seating; have trouble seeing through bifocals when riding on the drops and often the brake hoods; I don't feel I have good control of the bike off pavement with drop bars. Ergonomically, the drop bars just don't work for me as I have mild carpel tunnel in one wrist and am prone to tendinitis in that same arm. I find it hard to keep a neutral wrist position, especially when riding trails that require more aggressive control of the bike. Converting the handle bars would, in the very least, require changing the shifter/brake levers, resulting in a bike costing more than I am comfortable spending.

I rode the three remaining bikes: Sirrus, Crosstrail/Ariel. I reallyliked the Sirrus; it seemed to "feel" the best, but with limited options for tire width, it probably isn't going to work for the type of trails we ride; my CR has 700x45, although 38 or 40mm would be better for longerpavement rides; one can always go down a size or two but frame geometryrestricts the upper limit of tire width. I'd also like to run a lower pressure than the stock Sirrus tires are rated for, which could be accomplishedwith tubeless tires (which the Sirrus wheels will accommodate). This being said, I'm left with the Cross Trail/Ariel. Looking for answers to a few questions before I return to the LBS for further investigation.

Some of my questions/concerns with these two bikes have to do with the fork suspension (I have never had a front suspension bike):

1.Additional maintenance
2.Added weight
3.No lockout? Is it adjustable? Air or spring?
4.Quality of this particular fork
5.Reduced peddling efficiency; does the "Fitness Brain Technology"really solve this problem, or is it hype?
6.Can the suspension shock easily be replaced with a rigid fork - aluminum or carbon?

Our riding is about 50/50 pavement/trails with most of the paved rides being10-25 miles in distance. Trail riding is non-aggressive and slow paced; nothing technical, although we do venture onto some beginner singletrack dirt trails with a few rocks and roots. We are both 60+ and fit with a bit of youthful "cautious" adventure.

Handlebars: I really like the ones on the Sirrus; are the Crosstrail/Ariel bars more flat? If so, could they be replaced with the Sirrus bar? I know my LBS can tweak the handlebar fit to suit me. Also wondering if bar ends would give me more flexibility in grip and help with ergonomics.

Tires:I like the looks of the Trigger Sport tire; seems it would do well both on andoff pavement, but it is still rated at higher pressure than we sometimes like to run off road (50-60#). I'm sure there are other tire options, so not that much of a concern. How wide of a tire will fit the Crossroads/Ariel frames?

I'd appreciate any other advice Crosstrail riders might have to help in my decision. If I can't satisfy my needs with an upgrade, I will spend a few $$$ and see if better pads on my Crossroads will improve the brakes. I may do this anyway since I will probably still ride the CR for fitness on our property's rock roads.

BTW:I am leaning toward the Crosstrail/Ariel Elite models. I like the gearing better and expect the drivetrain/brake components are better quality than the Sport version. Not sure if my fit will put me in a Crosstrail or Ariel; I hope Crosstrail since I don't care for the grey/pink paint scheme on the Ariel Elite.

Last edited by Suza; 03-21-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-18-18, 06:21 PM
Suza

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travbikeman

I have read that the larger Trigger Sport at 42mm can go down to 50-100psi.

The kickstand is useful if you plan on having a rack and bags on the bike. But yes, added weight for the convenience.

Does the Crosstrail frame accommodate the Trigger Sport 42mm (which I understand can actually measure more than 42mm)? If it does, it would be one of my deciding factors in choosing the Crosstrail. I currently ride a Specialized Crossroads Sport with 700x45 tires inflated at 50-60# when off road. I fear the Crosstrail's stock 38mm tires might not be as capable on rock/gravel. I would still use the 38's for dedicated pavement rides.

The other factor would be whether I could easily swap out the suspension fork for alum or carbon if I don't like it. I have never ridden a suspension bike and I don't want to carry around extra weight I don't need (I hear those comments: "have you tried dieting?"
Old 03-18-18, 06:37 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Suza
Does the Crosstrail frame accommodate the Trigger Sport 42mm (which I understand can actually measure more than 42mm)? If it does, it would be one of my deciding factors in choosing the Crosstrail. I currently ride a Specialized Crossroads Sport with 700x45 tires inflated at 50-60# when off road. I fear the Crosstrail's stock 38mm tires might not be as capable on rock/gravel. I would still use the 38's for dedicated pavement rides.

The other factor would be whether I could easily swap out the suspension fork for alum or carbon if I don't like it. I have never ridden a suspension bike and I don't want to carry around extra weight I don't need (I hear those comments: "have you tried dieting?"
There are some Crosstrail owners whom have put on 29x2.0inch mountain bike tires, but it's close and I personally don't think it's a good idea to go over 1.9 inches (50mm). 2 inch is around 55mm I think. So the 42 mm should be fine. I'm actually getting a set of 42mm with knobbies for more muddy rides myself. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ding?fltr=3778

There are many whom have swapped out the suspension for either carbon or aluminum. I too am considering this. Nashbar has a great price on some forks. But am wary about buying an inexpensive carbon fork for $120. Thinking this might a case of paying more gets higher quality.

Yea, I've heard the diet comments as well, being a Clyde myself, I understand that entirely.
Old 03-18-18, 06:42 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Suza
Does the Crosstrail frame accommodate the Trigger Sport 42mm (which I understand can actually measure more than 42mm)? I fear the Crosstrail's stock 38mm tires might not be as capable on rock/gravel. I would still use the 38's for dedicated pavement rides.
I would actually suggest trying out the Triggers first before going with a larger tire. I have been surprised with this tire that it does a good job on gravel trails. It is a cyclecross tire.

My 13 year old son fortunetly had his glasses on when riding with me one day. The one thing I've noticed these Triggers do, is pick up the stones and kind of shoot or fling them out behind the bike. My son was hit in the glasses with a stone coming from the rear Trigger on my bike.

But, the Triggers are not all that great in mud. It's more a good dry trail tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.