Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 08:58 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Harvard Medical school says we should keep doing what it is we already like to do... bicycle endurance training– e.g.,

… endurance exercise is the best way to improve cardiovascular function. It helps keep the heart muscle supple and the arteries flexible, lowers the resting heart rate, and boosts the heart's peak ability to deliver oxygen-rich blood to the body's tissues. A related benefit is a fall in blood pressure.

Endurance exercise is also the best way to protect the body's metabolism from the effects of age. It reduces body fat, sensitizes the body's tissues to insulin, and lowers blood sugar levels. Exercise boosts the HDL ("good") cholesterol and lowers levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol and triglycerides. And the same types of activity will fight some of the neurological and psychologic-al changes of aging. Endurance exercise boosts mood and improves sleep, countering anxiety and depression. In addition, it improves reflex time and helps stave off age-related memory loss. All in all, many of the changes that physiologists attribute to aging are actually caused by disuse …

… The key is regular activity. Start slowly if you are out of shape, then build up gradually to 3–4 hours a week…
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...om-father-time
Old 03-10-18, 07:10 AM
willie2323

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
really funny stuff, have been cycling most all my life, yesterday just took ownership of my first single speed. I am very excited to give er a go in this newer technology (to me). At 71 I love all phases of cycling except on the street solo. spend most of my time at high aerobic levels on local canals (still very competitive) or on T100 locally (Phoenix area). Am thinking the SS will improve my dynamic range (good grunt work as well as spinning) for all my cycling. I still build my own bikes and love the newer technology.
cycle on everyone!
cheers,
willie
Old 03-10-18, 06:47 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to the old folks hideout willie. Glad you joined us.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-10-18, 09:27 PM
McBTC

Apparently, cycling geezer jocks are have a greater interest in tomorrow's weather than most other folks...
Old 03-10-18, 10:18 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by willie2323
really funny stuff, have been cycling most all my life, yesterday just took ownership of my first single speed. I am very excited to give er a go in this newer technology (to me). At 71 I love all phases of cycling except on the street solo. spend most of my time at high aerobic levels on local canals (still very competitive) or on T100 locally (Phoenix area). Am thinking the SS will improve my dynamic range (good grunt work as well as spinning) for all my cycling. I still build my own bikes and love the newer technology.
cycle on everyone!
cheers,
willie
Welcome willie, an interesting read on reasoning behind your new SS adventures. Good luck

I on the other hand approaching age 68 care not to dive into the SS experience. I don't need another thought process layer, i.e.-multi tasking, required to prevent injuries. Solo is fine with me as I head out between 12:01AM-3:00AM often as I did today at 12:15AM to begin 101 mile jaunt.
Old 03-12-18, 06:47 AM
willie2323

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Ron, hadnt realized that was my first post in this forum till it posted, shoulda done an intro. I do love cycling for a couple of reasons as we all know in this post, as we age there are not a lot of exercises we can still do that we can take to anerobic levels and I still love to compete.
Hey ol triguy, thanx for your comment. Wow, impressive century riding consistently. Yea on the "solo" riding. The emphasis in my post was staying off the streets unless on a sanctioned ride which has good traffic control.
Most of my bikes are not very light in fact I have never weighed them till I got this fixie put together. Road bike is an ol trek 1000 coming in at 27lbs, hardtail mtn bike is as well 27lbs and my full suspension mtn bike is an even 30lbs. This single speed is at 24lbs right now which is not very light but then I dont really care, just another interesting fact . I am anxious to get it out on our local canal just to see how the gearing works. Prior to this SS on my canal runs I was riding my hardtail all the time in only one gear (44/14). This SS came with 46/16 gearing which puts my gearinches slightly less at the same cadence. Since it is a tad lighter and especially the spinning (tires) weight, I expect to change the rear sprocket to 15 which will put my gearinches slightly more than my hardtail. Just good ol fun.
cheers,
willie
Old 03-14-18, 02:07 PM
RonH
Life is good

Ok, I did it. I pulled the trigger today. Lynskey is having a huge sale and I've been looking at their bikes for a few weeks so I couldn't pass up the savings. Got a 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro road bike. Traded-in the Cannondale on it. Yes, they take trade-ins.
I upgraded to Ultegra 8000.
I'm keeping the wheels from the Cannondale and swapping them for the Mavic Aksium wheels that are stock on the bike. I'll be flipping the stem too. I'll post pics when I get it. You'll have to be happy with this for now.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-14-18, 02:52 PM
DGoodrow

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations Ron. This is going to be a terrific bike for you. I only hope your "Trusty Litespeed" doesn't get jealous.
Old 03-14-18, 03:03 PM
McBTC

Sweet... compact gearing, 11 spd?
Old 03-15-18, 06:13 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by DGoodrow
Congratulations Ron. This is going to be a terrific bike for you. I only hope your "Trusty Litespeed" doesn't get jealous.
It won't get jealous. They're cousins.

Old 03-15-18, 06:14 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by McBTC
Sweet... compact gearing, 11 spd?
I asked for the 52/36 (since the 8000 series doesn't come with 53/39) and a 12-25 cassette.

Old 03-16-18, 05:50 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Excellent choice Ron, even though you did violate a rule, its N+1, not N-1+1

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-16-18, 06:54 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Excellent choice Ron, even though you did violate a rule, its N+1, not N-1+1

Bill
Thanks Bill. I did the N+1 a few years ago and had 3 bikes. Somehow the 3rd bike just got neglected, so .....

The Cannondale was light and comfortable enough but it never really fit right. I had a fitting when I got the bike and was continually making little tweaks (comparing measurements to the Litespeed) but at the end of the day I just wasn't happy with it. Some days I'd do a ride and come home with some cramping. Never had that when I did the same ride on the Litespeed.
FYI: I compared all the frame angles and dimensions from the Litespeed manual with the Cannondale dimensions and angles and then compared the dimensions and angles with the Lynskey. The Litespeed and Lynskey are VERY close. The Cannondale was not nearly as close.

Old 03-16-18, 11:20 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
If it works best for you Ron, its what you should do, titanium has a unique ride charcteristic to it. Depending on the alloy and how it is formed internally, it can range from super stiff to very compliant, and everything in between. Your 'Dale was racing geometry and lay up so it would be stiff, the Litespeed is what I understand to be endurance designed and built. Glad to hear you are transferring those wheels to the Litespeed, smart move.

I need a envy smilie right now, that would be a super grail/last bike. Post lots of pics when you have the time please.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-16-18, 01:57 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
If it works best for you Ron, its what you should do, titanium has a unique ride charcteristic to it. Depending on the alloy and how it is formed internally, it can range from super stiff to very compliant, and everything in between. Your 'Dale was racing geometry and lay up so it would be stiff, the Litespeed is what I understand to be endurance designed and built. Glad to hear you are transferring those wheels to the Litespeed, smart move.

I need a envy smilie right now, that would be a super grail/last bike. Post lots of pics when you have the time please.

Bill
My Litespeed will be 17 yeas old next month. It has a tear drop shaped top tube and down tube. It is 3/2 titanium.
The Lynskey has a helix top tube and seat stays (according to what I read on the site). Not sure about the other tubes. The top, down and seat tubes are 6/4 titanium but the rest is 3/2 I believe.

The Litespeed is traditional/classical geometry with a perfectly horizontal top tube.

They're still having the sale if you want one.
Attached Images

Last edited by RonH; 03-16-18 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 08:50 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
All I can say is NICE. Looking forward to seeing it on the Withlacoochee.!!
Old 03-19-18, 02:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,834 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Ok, I did it. I pulled the trigger today. Lynskey is having a huge sale and......
Between you and @jppe, this Forum seems to be on a roll, Lynskey Roll. Different disciplines but.......

Just sayin, it's an exquisite choice.
One recco - Sell both wheelsets and get some nice tubulars (i ride Al rims) with supple tires. Night and Day. Don't like glue?, they got tape now.
Old 03-21-18, 11:31 AM
RonH
Life is good

I just got this from Lynskey.

"Hi Ron

An order you recently placed on our website has had its status changed.

The status of order #XXXX is now Frame size is not in stock. This is not a problem. We are happy to build one just for you. Average wait time is 4 weeks."

Four weeks?? Ok. It's worth the wait.

Old 03-21-18, 10:24 PM
McBTC

We are happy to build one just for you. Average wait time is 4 weeks...

:
I guess that means you can expect to get Lynskey's 30 year anniversary dropouts.
Old 03-22-18, 08:01 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I just got this from Lynskey.

"Hi Ron

An order you recently placed on our website has had its status changed.

The status of order #XXXX is now Frame size is not in stock. This is not a problem. We are happy to build one just for you. Average wait time is 4 weeks."

Four weeks?? Ok. It's worth the wait.
They said it is not a problem. No problem, right?
Old 03-25-18, 02:33 AM
Suza

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crossroads Sport, 2018 Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm new to this group, but have been hanging out at the hybrid bike forum as I progressed through the painful process of choosing a new bike. I'm not new to bikes, but since retiring in 2012, my husband and I have gradually reintroduced cycling back into our lifestyle. As someone said a few years back, cycling is a great way to maintain or even improve cardiovascular health.

I have been riding a Specialized Crossroads Sport for about 5 years. We bike probably 50/50 pavement/trails. Our trail riding is mostly smooth, flat off-road and multi-purpose trails as well as some beginner level technical single track. Up till now, our riding has been mostly an element of our RV adventures, but I have since added some fitness riding and intend to participate in a few organized charity/group rides.

While my CR hybrid bike has been sufficient enough for the riding we do, I have become disenchanted with the performance of its rim brakes riding in wet weather and off-road. Several weeks ago I began looking for something similar, but with disc brakes and, since I'm getting something new, a better range of gears for hills. Oh, and 2x chain rings. Long story short, I spent today at my LBS and ended up ordering a Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro. Note: I stay with Specialized because, 1. they build good bikes; we have had several and are very happy with them 2. that is the brand our favorite of two LBS in our area exclusively sells. In a few weeks I will be entering into a new phase of senior biking.

Thinking my new bike and I might not fit into the Hybrid Bikes forum, I looked around for another. I fear the Mountain Bike forum might be a bit out of my age group and cycling genre while the Road Bike forum might be a bit inappropriate since I haven't ridden drop bars since my college years when I had a Schwinn Continental 10-speed. (I honestly tried riding my daughter-in-law's drop bar cyclocross bike and discovered, all else aside, bifocals just don't mix with those handlebars

So, here I am on this Fifty Plus (50+) forum, where I hope to be a worthy contributor.

As an introduction, let me say I am a laid back sort of cyclist; my objective, aside from recreation and enjoyment of the outdoors, is to stay healthy, fit and active well into my senior years. I guess you can say I don't intend to give up doing the things I enjoy strictly because of limits the aging process puts on my body. Everyone in the over-fifty category understands what I'm saying.

I'll be back when I my bike arrives and share details of this transition. In the meantime, here is a link where you can check out my new ride

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/wo...=240166-129253

Got it!!! (couldn't get the image to work so here's a link)

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...psi2m19zog.jpg

Last edited by Suza; 04-01-18 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 12:00 PM
RonH
Life is good

Welcome to the old folks hangout. Good looking bike.

Old 03-26-18, 06:32 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Suza, I thought I recognized you from the Crosstrail thread -- that's what I ride as my "trail bike." I use it main on paved and unpaved rail-trails, with an occasional true off-road excursion. Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-02-18, 12:46 PM
Mister Blister

Bikes: Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Felt F90

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone here preparing to ride a century?
Old 04-02-18, 07:48 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
I turned 65 in November, yeah Medicare, Adios expensive Obamacare. Still ride my 2007 Waterford 2007 RS33 with carbon front fork, Campy Record, full Ritchey. Great custom fit and ride. Been riding since I was very young. Early Raleigh 3 speed. One major injury, fractured T12 and L2 2012. Recovered, still have pain. Love riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.