Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Best place for a wheel build

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 11:13 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Best place for a wheel build

Hey guys, I have a wheelset for a now defunct 29+ build that no one wants (15TA front, 142 rear... everyone runs boost on + bikes), and I was thinking about disassembling and using the DT 350 hubs to build a second wheelset for my gravel bike, with a commute focus. So, I need to find a good, cost effective place to do the build, and don't know of anyone local that would be recommended. I am not looking for the most expensive, just decent quality stuff that I can throw some narrower tires and fit fenders on my RLT this winter.

Also, I'd be open to any cheap pre built wheelsets if there is anything out there across the myriad of websites, so if you have seen anything, please let me know!

Budget... sub $400, and as low as possible, honestly.
Old 11-14-18, 01:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Check with a bike shop? the one here gets good wheels from their wholesalers

built with parts at wholesale price ...

so finished wheels at or below what the parts, alone ,cost at retail ..

and shipping is included..
Old 11-14-18, 03:42 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Another vote for checking at your LBS to see what they offer. Wheelbuilding isn't an occult science, most anybody learn can do it and produce a great wheel provided they're willing to take the time to pay attention to detail.
Old 11-14-18, 04:06 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I had Brett at Mill City Cycles build me a wheelset. I had a light carbon build that is a lot cheaper than anything else and is working out great for me. I had a good experience dealing with him. He is a gravel cyclist and seems knowledgeable and passionate. He went the extra mile for me.

I'm guessing typical custom Aluminum gravel build might be roughly $400-$500, but of course you can go up or down from there depending on what you need (my light carbon build was under 1k shipped). Typically he can get you stuff lighter, cheaper, and/or stronger than off the shelf - and of course dialed in for your size/weight/rider style. Beats supporting a shop in Taiwan...

https://www.facebook.com/millcitycycle/
Old 11-14-18, 06:15 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Why can't you just use the current wheelset with your gravel bike if you are planning on reusing the hubs anyways?
Old 11-14-18, 08:29 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Why can't you just use the current wheelset with your gravel bike if you are planning on reusing the hubs anyways?
just a guess (not the OP here) but 29+ wheels these days are commonly running 40-45mm rims (and that’s internal width) so the rim might not even fit between the stays/fork of a gravel bike, and would be too wide for most gravel tires.
Old 11-15-18, 11:17 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee

just a guess (not the OP here) but 29+ wheels these days are commonly running 40-45mm rims (and that’s internal width) so the rim might not even fit between the stays/fork of a gravel bike, and would be too wide for most gravel tires.
Didn't realize they were that wide, was thinking people were still mostly using 32mm internal widths which could be used with 35-38mm tires and fenders
Old 11-16-18, 08:31 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
LBS offers one on one wheel building classes. You buy the parts from them, pay a fee for class (which is close to the labor they would charge) and learn to build your own. check with LBS, especially during winter when they are looking for work, and they may do the same.