Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Writeup on servicing ofo dockless bikes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Writeup on servicing ofo dockless bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 05:39 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Heads up - the ofo tools have been located:

How to fix an ofo dockless bicycle - The Bike Share Museum

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-14-19 at 10:10 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-14-19, 01:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Quite a unique set of theft deterrent bolts on those bikes.

Apparently not a lot of bikes in their "Museum". But, perhaps it will grow.

Someone had posted a battered Lime Bike in the Wacky thread of a bike that had popped up on Craigslist, but it was never clear if it was stolen.
Old 06-14-19, 03:30 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Any particular reason for their infamy? Heavy, or just poorly assembled? I haven't had an opportunity to see one of these in person, so I know zilch about them.

I know some of them have airless plastic tires, which seems like a pretty terrible idea.

I think I know the model of Mobike you speak of from Sicilly - hydrofomed shaft drive area, like this one?
-Kurt

Yes, the Mobikes were all variations on that design. Aside from the weight, they were just in poor shape, or were bad from the start. Most of the wheels felt (and were visibly) wobbly, and as you mentioned when talking about hubs, there was the sensation of riding with the brakes on. I tried to spin the front wheels on a couple, and they came to a stop pretty quickly because they were driving a generator. It all just added up to a terrible riding experience.
Old 06-14-19, 03:55 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Quite a unique set of theft deterrent bolts on those bikes.

Apparently not a lot of bikes in their "Museum". But, perhaps it will grow.

Someone had posted a battered Lime Bike in the Wacky thread of a bike that had popped up on Craigslist, but it was never clear if it was stolen.
Doing my best. I have had correspondence with Spin and Jump.

Lime has ignored me as much as humanly possible As a matter of fact, I have yet to find a single instance of Lime donating any of their bicycles when a scrapyard was well at hand.

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Yes, the Mobikes were all variations on that design. Aside from the weight, they were just in poor shape, or were bad from the start. Most of the wheels felt (and were visibly) wobbly, and as you mentioned when talking about hubs, there was the sensation of riding with the brakes on. I tried to spin the front wheels on a couple, and they came to a stop pretty quickly because they were driving a generator. It all just added up to a terrible riding experience.
That brake sensation sounds like dragging band brakes. If the generator hubs were causing it, it wasn't from the magnets - there's very little drag on either the Panasonic or off-brand 6V generators on either of the ofos.

-Kurt

Old 05-29-22, 05:09 AM
helijohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hybrid OFO

I have not read all of this thread but I did read the write up from the link at the start which I have to say is excellent so apologies if this has been covered.

I just bought a used one owner OFO.
I got it because I like the step through frame because mobilitywise I am not 100%.

I have removed all of the unwanted weight such as the front basket

I am going to make it into something of a hybrid beach cruiser something along the lines of the sixthreezero bikes.

The anti tamper stuff caught me out but I got around it.

I would like to know what the thread is on the front and rear wheel axles please. Having not easily found a pentagon 12mm socket I want to replace the nuts with regular hex nuts for easy access in the future.

I am about to remove the wheels and replace the solid tyres with regular tyres. What size hole do I need to drill for the inner tube's valve?

Also, how do I remove the rear wheel as the gear attachment is new to my experience? All of the bits like mudguards etc. are all gone!
Old 07-04-22, 02:30 AM
helijohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Update

It has been some time since my last posting. My OFO is not completely finished but is so close you can get an idea of the end result.

The first picture is as it was when I bought it.

It now has pneumatic tyres - something to watch out for is that it won't take bigger than 26 x 1.95.

I have fitted sidepull brakes but the rear is not yet connected and might never be! I slimmed down the bracketry.

The front sidepull has its own lever as I am keeping the drum brake because I want to keep the dynamo.

To fit beach cruiser handlebars I junked the the originals though I did separate the bars from the stem later on by cutting so I could save the stem. The quill is now an adjustable one. The bars are now black. I am moving to a lever gear changer so the grips are not in place.

The kickstand was annoying and is now replaced with a two arm one. Now I can spin the rear wheel and I can turn the crank 360° while on stand.

I have fitted RockBros pedal which are super big - ideal for my big shoes.

It now has a BMX seat post so that I can get something of an easy rider position like in the Sixthreezero easy mount bikes. This means I can have the seat low enough to put both feet down on the ground flat yet have bags of room to reach the pedals. With the cruiser bars I have a sit up riding position and the saddle is a comfort saddle.

All bolts like on the crank and on the protective plate under the crank etc. are now regular allen or hex bolts so attending to things on the bike is much simpler.

This bike to me is a keeper and I love everything about it. The aluminium frame will never rust and the colour is superb.

Likes For helijohn: